Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  48
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V St. Kilda R18 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    There is no worse timeslot than 4.40pm on Sunday for live matches in Melbourne. I get it is a good TV ratings timeslot but it should be limited to WA or SA games.
    Totally agree Sedat. I'm hoping in future years they phase out the 4:40pm time slots for games here in Victoria. 1:10pm and 3:20pm on Sunday is fine.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah went along tonight. Sunday twilight not my favourite time slot but still went to support the mighty Dogs! Just dissapointing not to have been focused from the start of the game and that we didn't get the result.
    Well good on you for being a great member. I watched it in Hamilton surrounded by Saints fans. Back for holidays.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Feel bad for anyone who went to the game.
    I was there, it was horrendous for the most part. And the 4.40 starts are disgusting.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Os Shache OK? Huge tumble onto his neck/head. Knocked him rotten, he was trying to get off but got caught up in the play and made 3 very courageous efforts before actually getting to the boundary. He was in strife.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel bad for anyone who went to the game.
    It was a poor spectacle. 4.40 on a Sunday is far from ideal but there should have been a lot more there.
    I wonder why we don't use the 4.40 timeslot more when there is a Monday public holiday or during school holidays
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Os Shache OK? Huge tumble onto his neck/head. Knocked him rotten, he was trying to get off but got caught up in the play and made 3 very courageous efforts before actually getting to the boundary. He was in strife.
    I was sitting on level one not far from the interchange bench and he was groggy could hardly stand up. Hopefully he will be ok.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well good on you for being a great member. I watched it in Hamilton surrounded by Saints fans. Back for holidays.
    That would be tough GD.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Do teams play better because they hated the coach or because they liked him?

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The stats suggest they actually lose more than they win after a coach is booted. But, our experience seems to be the opposite, though I can't be bothered worrying about whether that's true. Certainly this year it is!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think prior to the sacking there would be some issues, a general awareness of something amiss, in some cases even some resentments and definitely frustration from each player. When the coach goes there would be a sense of the elephant in the room being addressed and a chance at a free hit, a bit of a mulligan cos low expectations but knowing your team mates feel the shackles are off.
    So the players are more relieved that the coach has gone and they have a new start with less pressure and players can play their natural game.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of it is a realisation that they could have and should have done more themselves to help the coach
    Our players need to be looked in the eye and everyone of them asked 2 questions
    1) Did you bring the required intensity?
    2) Why not?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think a lot of it is a realisation that they could have and should have done more themselves to help the coach
    Our players need to be looked in the eye and everyone of them asked 2 questions
    1) Did you bring the required intensity?
    2) Why not?
    Players lacked faith in each other in that 1st Qtr. Saints had the solidarity.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Players get some sort of emotional/psychological boost from a sacked coach narrative. No doubt. Saints were always going to bring something to the table and we didn't match it. That was really disappointing.

The bit that gets overlooked sometimes is the disruption to the opposition's planning. We would have set up and anticipated St Kilda will look a certain way, , move the footy in particular patterns etc. Ratten wouldn't be able to overhaul things in one week, but he would have brought something to their tactics that we weren't preparing for. That might have been a factor in the 1st qtr. We are slow to respond in the coaching dept.

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a moral imperative that both sides feel too. A brave man who lead the club and given his all has tragically had to step down and out.
    There is a recognition of how life changing this is and that each individual in the team will show their respect with a superhuman effort. This puts the opposition off their game, their collective unconscious recognising the moral imperative, the truth of a team fighting for their lives.
    Shane Lowry an Irishman just won the British Open, smashed it, played in Ireland for the first time for ages. Ben Crankshaw won the masters (beating Greg Norman) after his old loved coach died and cried for him after his last putt dropped. Players playing for something greater than themselves.

22. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To overcome this a coach has to first identify the dynamic and to get his team to recognise that they have the moral right to also play for something greater than themselves: their coach who is like the deposed coach except that he survives; the club and its cause and community; the collective effort and gut wrenching training everyone has done and that they were born to play in such games and to overcome things like a team energised by its sacked coach. They must rightfully own the occasion.

24. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post