Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a clear pattern of culture brewing at the Dogs

When you look at our recruiting over recent years, it seems to me there is a consistent pattern emerging, that shows both in who is being brought to the club, and who is departing.

I've been tuning into to Murph and Anstey's Freedom in a cage podcast for a long while now and they often have current Dog's players appear.
    What becomes very clear is how articulate, level headed, confident (not arrogant) and team oriented a large bulk of our list is.
    Tim English, Bont, Naughton, Daniel, Richards, Mclean spring to mind.

Murph also gave a lovely insight into Lloyd's character this week as well that resonated with me. Murph was at a park and Lloyd turned up with a young kid in tow. Turns out the young lad lives in Lloyd's street and isca Dog's supporter. Lloyd takes the lad down to the park for a kick every once in a while. What a kind gesture.
    Throw in Moz, who just oozes class and it starts to tell a story of how invested we are in trying to establish a real ingrained, positive culture.

Then look at some of the decisions we've made to move certain players out who may not be a positive influence and it starts to show a real pattern.

Bailey Smith to me also looks to fit that 'great character' bill.
    Hayden Crozier also has come across in footage I've seen as someone who is of strong character. Wally too, and increasingly, in his own inimitable quirky way Libba( having learned some lessons along the way). Trengove, another held in high esteem for his character traits.

Character seems to be a defining trait that is very desirable at our club.

Now that all means nought if the guys can't play football, however I think the names I've mentioned so far are all guys who have demonstrated their football bonafides. Its just an added bonus, and point of competive advantage that they also make a positive contribution to the overall 'vibe' and 'fibre' to the place.

Hopefully these things are increasingly noticed by players and their agents at other clubs when considering where they or those in their stable might want to play.

I can see why guys like Langdon and McDonald-Tipingwudi are being spoken of as possible trade targets, when viewed through that prism.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: There is a clear pattern of culture brewing at the Dogs

Fair assessment there. But also we haven't been afraid to make some tough calls on some individuals with great character. Ie roughead. I'm glad to see him playing well at the pies. He seems suited down back in that team. We have brought some quality mature blokes In and hopefully we can add another and get another quality pick this year. (At pick 18 ��

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The no dickhead policy in full swing!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point - it’s really clear the club targeted more mature mindsets and character over the last couple of years - coupled with really strong work ethic.

I’m all for it, and it seems to be paying dividends in the players we’re signing this year - looks from the outside like a real team culture is building again.

The one part of our game is like to see a lift in (not the only one actually) is the aggression. We have it in some players, completely void in others. I’d like to see us able to step up the intensity as aggression when a club comes into a match with that lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Good point - it’s really clear the club targeted more mature mindsets and character over the last couple of years - coupled with really strong work ethic.

I’m all for it, and it seems to be paying dividends in the players we’re signing this year - looks from the outside like a real team culture is building again.

The one part of our game is like to see a lift in (not the only one actually) is the aggression. We have it in some players, completely void in others. I’d like to see us able to step up the intensity as aggression when a club comes into a match with that lens.
    That stood out more than anything on Sunday - the lack of aggression. Maybe it was an off day but the Saints just bullied us and we had no come back or didn't feel like standing up for what ever reason. Other sides would have seen that as well so they now need to be prepared. Hopefully it is something they can install in the team over time to be prepared for the aggression and manage it better.

In saying that it is good to see guys like English and Bailey Smith putting their bodies on the line. Hopefully a few of the more seasoned players took note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    When you look at our recruiting over recent years, it seems to me there is a consistent pattern emerging, that shows both in who is being brought to the club, and who is departing.

I've been tuning into to Murph and Anstey's Freedom in a cage podcast for a long while now and they often have current Dog's players appear.
    What becomes very clear is how articulate, level headed, confident (not arrogant) and team oriented a large bulk of our list is.
    Tim English, Bont, Naughton, Daniel, Richards, Mclean spring to mind.

Murph also gave a lovely insight into Lloyd's character this week as well that resonated with me. Murph was at a park and Lloyd turned up with a young kid in tow. Turns out the young lad lives in Lloyd's street and isca Dog's supporter. Lloyd takes the lad down to the park for a kick every once in a while. What a kind gesture.
    Throw in Moz, who just oozes class and it starts to tell a story of how invested we are in trying to establish a real ingrained, positive culture.

Then look at some of the decisions we've made to move certain players out who may not be a positive influence and it starts to show a real pattern.

Bailey Smith to me also looks to fit that 'great character' bill.
    Hayden Crozier also has come across in footage I've seen as someone who is of strong character. Wally too, and increasingly, in his own inimitable quirky way Libba( having learned some lessons along the way). Trengove, another held in high esteem for his character traits.

Character seems to be a defining trait that is very desirable at our club.

Now that all means nought if the guys can't play football, however I think the names I've mentioned so far are all guys who have demonstrated their football bonafides. Its just an added bonus, and point of competive advantage that they also make a positive contribution to the overall 'vibe' and 'fibre' to the place.

Hopefully these things are increasingly noticed by players and their agents at other clubs when considering where they or those in their stable might want to play.

I can see why guys like Langdon and McDonald-Tipingwudi are being spoken of as possible trade targets, when viewed through that prism.
    Spot on, and you notice it when you have a chat to them also. Ed Richards and Billy Gowers I can throw in there as ripping guys. Good families, intelligent and respectful.

Re Trengove, when he left PA there was nothing but kind messages for him from many supporter groups and in the two games he's played back there, there's barely a murmur when he gets the ball.

Edit : You mentioned Ed, I'll second it

Post Thanks / Like

Shane Biggs is a terrific bloke too. You only have to speak to him and you can see why the club was keen to have him onboard. It's weird because when you talk to him it's kind of obvious where that Wall of Briggs came from in the grand final because he has a quiet determination. It's not an 'in your face' sort of thing more of a strong will.

During his first preseason at the club I was at a Footscray practice match and got talking to him. We spent ages talking-like 30-45 minutes and afterwards one of my mates said to me "Who's that?", I said that I didn't know and he said "I didn't think you did, that's Shane Biggs the guy we got from the Swans." I've spoken to a lot of players but I've never met one willing to speak for so long.

Biggsy is quite a guy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Shane Biggs is a terrific bloke too. You only have to speak to him and you can see why the club was keen to have him onboard. It's weird because when you talk to him it's kind of obvious where that Wall of Briggs came from in the grand final because he has a quiet determination. It's not an 'in your face' sort of thing more of a strong will.

During his first preseason at the club I was at a Footscray practice match and got talking to him. We spent ages talking-like 30-45 minutes and afterwards one of my mates said to me "Who's that?", I said that I didn't know and he said "I didn't think you did, that's Shane Biggs the guy we got from the Swans." I've spoken to a lot of players but I've never met one willing to speak for so long.

Biggsy is quite a guy.
    His insta is funny as *!*!*!*! too, seems a down to earth guy.
    The curse is dead.