Thanks Thanks:  119
Likes Likes:  508
Page 31 of 69 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The unofficial 2019 "Where is T&T?" who to root for thread

Eagles winning and losing McGovern is pretty close to a perfect result
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Eagles winning and losing McGovern is pretty close to a perfect result
    Yes, that was an unexpected bonus. I hope he recovers well - in time for next season.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who else hates the Jones brothers
    Their music shits me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Would love the Eagles to get one here after about 10 i50s for the Saints
    It was like watching us, except we have a flag from recent endeavours so it makes you feel a titch better.

7. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Well done West Coast. Nic Nat played a top last quarter. Kelly was excellent all night and his goal was a ripper.
    Although his kicking to the pocket a couple of times was strange. I guess that's what happens when you actually win aerial contests instead of almost wining them spectacularly so often.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally can't stand West Coast but last night I felt such good will tpwards them. A perfect example of the Afghan adage: "The enemy of your enemy is your friend."
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda have lost 5 of their 6 close games this year. They're not challenging in 2020.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    St Kilda have lost 5 of their 6 close games this year. They're not challenging in 2020.
    I think clubs have clued onto their gameplan. A new coach will bring a new gameplan and other clubs have to figure it out. I think it's happened. The other thing is their gameplan seemed to rely on quite a lot of high intensity running. Over the course of the season it's just become unsustainable.

Still, in the context of the future, you can't be too disappointed as a saints fan. They're leaps and bounds better than last season under Ratten. Sure it would be extremely disappointing to miss finals after sitting in the 8 all year, but before the season started most had them pegged 7-12 and they've met that and should only improve next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I never thought their ins were that special to begin with. Their early form smelt of riding the wave of new-ness until the reality kicked in. There was a pre-cursor in the Pies game early on. They got too many outside types, and guys like Zak Jones who doesn't have the game to play inside fully, even if he convinces himself otherwise.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 11-09-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: It's Zak.

13. Thanks Pickenitup thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I never thought their ins were that special to begin with. Their early form smelt of riding the wave of new-ness until the reality kicked in. There was a pre-cursor in the Pies game early on. They got too many outside types, and guys like Zac Jones who doesn't have the game to play inside fully, even if he convinces himself otherwise.
    I was certainly surprised with their form early on. Like you I didn't really rate their inclusions. They had guys overachieving big time compared to their typical output. Even Butler has fallen away becoming just another guy who milks for frees rather than going for the ball. Still, I give them credit for their recruiting. They were going nowhere last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I normally can't stand West Coast but last night I felt such good will tpwards them. A perfect example of the Afghan adage: "The enemy of your enemy is your friend."
    I think they showed last night, just how good our performance (bar goalkicking) was against them.

Saints didn't adjust like we did. They kept banging it in long and deep, and McGovern first, then Barrass just swallowed it up.
    Saints also kept turning the ball over when their defense wasn't set, and still compressed up field.
    And they either didn't try or didnt have the ability to put time into Kelly and Gaff.

16. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think they showed last night, just how good our performance (bar goalkicking) was against them.

Saints didn't adjust like we did. They kept banging it in long and deep, and McGovern first, then Barrass just swallowed it up.
    Saints also kept turning the ball over when their defense wasn't set, and still compressed up field.
    And they either didn't try or didnt have the ability to put time into Kelly and Gaff.
    Yep Gaff, Kelly and Ryan had a field day. The Saints looked like the bad version you see of us. Not tagging, continuously bombing it in to no avail. They also made the mistake of going in too small in defence. Not sure what is going on with Carlisle but Darling, Kennedy and even Allen monstered their defenders even on a wet day.

18. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Ratten is a pretty good coach and he will adjust team approach. Not confident they will go far into finals this year but they do have some good players. At their best they are very competitive. A little like us albeit different game style based more on long kicks and running vs our handballs and running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I never thought their ins were that special to begin with. Their early form smelt of riding the wave of new-ness until the reality kicked in. There was a pre-cursor in the Pies game early on. They got too many outside types, and guys like Zak Jones who doesn't have the game to play inside fully, even if he convinces himself otherwise.
    He's the toughest player in the world ever, what are you talking about?

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Their music shits me.
    Jonas?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.