Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 18 v St Kilda 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Both L.Young's, West, Roberts, Lynch, Hayes and maybe Jong and Gowers
    Lynch played lazt 5 games last year and raised his game as VFL - AFL players must. Maybe time for another end of season cameo from him. He has the skills and I hope the maturity.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy kicks on left cos coach told him to, he's showing he's following instructions, showing a token of his respect but if you miss with your left more than your right save the left for practice.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Didn’t see the game ( taped it so I won’t torture myself to watch it ) Just not mature enough to play finals and got some holes to fill
    2. Nice to see Bailey Dale do well
    3. It’s time to play Lewis Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    1 - Bailey Dale is far from a spent force. Way too many people writing him off at just 23, He has talent which we are short of
    2 - I didn't think Tory Dickson still had it in him. I got it wrong
    Can you play both in the same forward line? Great finishers, good marks for their size and get in the right spots, but neither are quick (Dickson has lost a yard) and Dale certainly doesn't tackle.

It's a shame Cavarra has had such an injury-interrupted year. I'd really like to see whether he can help that forward half pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Can you play both in the same forward line? Great finishers, good marks for their size and get in the right spots, but neither are quick (Dickson has lost a yard) and Dale certainly doesn't tackle.

It's a shame Cavarra has had such an injury-interrupted year. I'd really like to see whether he can help that forward half pressure.
    Add Lloyd to that argument as well.

I really don't know how viable that is
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

The answer is no.

Dickson played well but he shouldn’t go on beyond this year. Has been a terrific player for the club though.

Jury still out on Dale - has some tricks but I’d argue we can’t play him and Lloyd going forward. Both are slow and neither apply pressure.

Our forward half is a long way off being a finished product. We need to copy Richmond and Geelong’s model; both have quick medium/smalls who can compete on the air but more importantly are deadly at ground level both offensively and defensively. The game won’t change from this anytime soon - not until/if some serious zoning is enforced.

The good thing is it’s typically easy to fix - both Geelong and Richmond has a targeted approach and fixed it quickly. No reason we can’t should we want to go down that path.

Post Thanks / Like

We really lack a quick crumbing forward. The ball was swept away so easily whenever it hit the deck.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    We really lack a quick crumbing forward. The ball was swept away so easily whenever it hit the deck.
    This has been the case for too long and we've done little to remedy it.

Short of any new recruits there's a bit hinging on Cavarra panning out.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Cordy kicks on left cos coach told him to, he's showing he's following instructions, showing a token of his respect but if you miss with your left more than your right save the left for practice.
    I heard Buckley the other day saying that Malthouse hates players kicking on their non-preferred side. He considers it to be lazy and if you find yourself constantly on your non-preferred side he considers you as a dumb footballer and he doesn't have a spot for you in his team! He's an interesting guy...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I heard Buckley the other day saying that Malthouse hates players kicking on their non-preferred side. He considers it to be lazy and if you find yourself constantly on your non-preferred side he considers you as a dumb footballer and he doesn't have a spot for you in his team! He's an interesting guy...
    Ha Malthouse yes things are black and white for him. Bevo said the opposite that all need to learn to kick on opposite foot, I would have thought only as last option so you can if needed seems sensible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Ha Malthouse yes things are black and white for him. Bevo said the opposite that all need to learn to kick on opposite foot, I would have thought only as last option so you can if needed seems sensible.
    Wish Cordy would forget about his left foot.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wish Cordy would forget about his left foot.
    I reckon its quite rare that Cordy makes an error on his left. It stood out when it happened on the weekend - but he is generally quite reliable with ball in hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I reckon its quite rare that Cordy makes an error on his left. It stood out when it happened on the weekend - but he is generally quite reliable with ball in hand.
    I like Cordy with the ball in hand when he runs straight forward and takes a couple of bounces and kicks long- like he did in Q3. Reminded me of Williams.

I did see him try to short pass into the pocket from the goal square but he couldn’t bring the ball around enough and a goal resulted. (Why did he choose there? why was the target so deep? why wasn’t the target moving around for the pass?)

But we are most likely to see him jog in to stand the mark after his opponent has taken a mark. And that has been an ongoing problem all year and cost heaps of goals. By comparison I couldn’t see daylight between Naughton and his opponent all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    We lack leg speed all over the ground leading to far to many hand balls rather than moving the ball quicker by foot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I like Cordy with the ball in hand when he runs straight forward and takes a couple of bounces and kicks long- like he did in Q3. Reminded me of Williams.

I did see him try to short pass into the pocket from the goal square but he couldn’t bring the ball around enough and a goal resulted. (Why did he choose there? why was the target so deep? why wasn’t the target moving around for the pass?)

But we are most likely to see him jog in to stand the mark after his opponent has taken a mark. And that has been an ongoing problem all year and cost heaps of goals. By comparison I couldn’t see daylight between Naughton and his opponent all day.
    I think this scenario occurs when we make a huge midfield turnover and our defenders are out of position. Its those turnovers that kill you. I also think that our defenders have been positioned more conservatively to counteract this in recent weeks - but this wasn't the case on Sunday.

I'm more disappointed when Cordy loses position and gives away a free kick in a contest - than being the one closest to someone marking uncontested - which is more likely the end result of a horrendous turnover.