Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors; Rnd 18, 2019 vs St. Kilda

This is the round 18, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against St. Kilda is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors; Rnd 18, 2019 vs St. Kilda

I'm waiting for an banker. But anchors are accepted.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Tim English... a couple of turnovers..costly ones. But thought he marked well, kicked a goal, and competed well in the ruck.
    Dale. Kicked as straight as you could ask for. 5 straight, and a couple of tough ones too. Must've been feeling under a lot of pressure too coming into the game, given he's out of contract and has struggled for form in the 1's. Well done.
    Josh Schache..... his effort when he was seeing stars, was the epitome of courage. Was out on his feet and seeing stars, but on his way off the field, his turn came and he got involved in 2 contests... I really hope he recovers and doesn't have any lasting ill effects, because I suspect he went up a lot in the estimations of his team mates off the back of that 1 horrible minute of play.

Anchors

Where to start and where to stop....
    That deplorable 1st quarter probably just cost us finals in 2019.
    JJ, Dunks, Macrae, Hunter, Cordy, Naughton, Suckling, almost career worst efforts and executions at times tonight.
    Libba.. other than a couple of nice pieces of play, and a number of efforts of flying the flag for team mates copping it from Saints players....Can he still do it at the level he used to? I hope injury hasn't robbed us of a wonderful player because he was almost a non-entity tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

B

Dale - I honestly didn't realise he'd kicked 5. Great effort.
    Dicko - When all around him were poo, he looked likely.
    B.Smith - not his best game, but we can build around him.

A
    Bont, JJ, Macrae, Libba, Suckling - reckon at least 3 weren't fit, but you run out and you are. Awful lack of leadership and grunt.
    R. Smith - just don't see it.
    Cordy - if we could pick up another tall, I'd future endeavour him. Thanks for your efforts in 2016.
    Me for not getting to the train on time, spoiling my pregame routine.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers

Tim English... a couple of turnovers..costly ones. But thought he marked well, kicked a goal, and competed well in the ruck.
    Dale. Kicked as straight as you could ask for. 5 straight, and a couple of tough ones too. Must've been feeling under a lot of pressure too coming into the game, given he's out of contract and has struggled for form in the 1's. Well done.
    Josh Schache..... his effort when he was seeing stars, was the epitome of courage. Was out on his feet and seeing stars, but on his way off the field, his turn came and he got involved in 2 contests... I really hope he recovers and doesn't have any lasting ill effects, because I suspect he went up a lot in the estimations of his team mates off the back of that 1 horrible minute of play.

Anchors

Where to start and where to stop....
    That deplorable 1st quarter probably just cost us finals in 2019.
    JJ, Dunks, Macrae, Hunter, Cordy, Naughton, Suckling, almost career worst efforts and executions at times tonight.
    Libba.. other than a couple of nice pieces of play, and a number of efforts of flying the flag for team mates copping it from Saints players....Can he still do it at the level he used to? I hope injury hasn't robbed us of a wonderful player because he was almost a non-entity tonight.
    Some tough calls here. I thought Dunks was good and Libba well that’s what we were gonna get after a spell on the sidelines. I only saw the second half. But Libba was not in the guts as much as I would have liked.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Dale for taking his chances. Nice to convert at 100% in front of goal
    Dickson I thought he may have been cooked. I was wrong
    Dunkley. Contested beast

Anchors
    Match committee why play Bont clearly injured. Everybody knows don’t take players into a final if they are not 100% fit. This was our final.
    Naughton. Got sucked in to wrestling and not leading to the hall today. Hope that’s a learning for you
    Cordy. You’ve been good fir us but when you have a bad one it hurts
    BB.

7. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Crozier, consistently good games and kicks the ball far more often than handballing and is not responsible for the appalling turnovers that others cause.
    English, a couple of clangers but this kid is growing into a good player.
    Dunkley, always in for the hard ball get all day long.

Anchors
    Cordy and Trengove try hard but are not the answers to key back positions, I've said that before.
    MC for playing the Bont who seems to be carrying an injury.
    Not turning up in the first quarter when your season's prospects are on the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Some tough calls here. I thought Dunks was good and Libba well that’s what we were gonna get after a spell on the sidelines. I only saw the second half. But Libba was not in the guts as much as I would have liked.
    Don't get me wrong. Dunks was fine, and worked himself into the game and at the end of game the ledger was in his favour. But the execution at pivotal times was important in a bad way.
    Libba... I loved his tough stuff, in particular flying the flag when necessary. But the thing is, he can't play full minutes in the midfield right now, maybe forever? That's concerning, because if he can't get to multiple contests, defend a man, and halve balls the way he did in 2016 then what is his game based on? He's either got to add a string to his bow forward of the ball or else questions are going to be asked going forward. And that hurts me to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers
    Crozier, consistently good games and kicks the ball far more often than handballing and is not responsible for the appalling turnovers that others cause.
    English, a couple of clangers but this kid is growing into a good player.
    Dunkley, always in for the hard ball get all day long.

Anchors
    Cordy and Trengove try hard but are not the answers to key back positions, I've said that before.
    MC for playing the Bont who seems to be carrying an injury.
    Not turning up in the first quarter when your season's prospects are on the line.
    I'm not convinced Bont was inhibited, just that Jack Steele did what he has done for a while now, apply an effective tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    He’s either got to add a string to his bow forward of the ball or else questions are going to be asked going forward. And that hurts me to say.
    Concerning it is in deed. I can’t see Libba playing forward. He is not a penetrating kick and not a natural forward. I would put him behind Wallis, Loyd, Dickson, McClean, Dale and Lipinski ahead of him in the forward 50
    BB.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Dale, 5 goals - needs to keep it up
    2. Dickson, back to dangerous best with 4
    3. Wood, 10 marks

Anchors

1. What was Dunks thinking when he marked directly in front.
    2. The team non effort in the first half
    3. Naughton needs to nail his opportunities
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. The forwards kinda made chicken salad with what was served up to them. Dickson in particular looked really dangerous when the ball hit the ground.

2. Wood's best game for the year. He and Crozier didn't keep us in it because we never were, but we would have been totally decimated without their efforts making it to extra contests.

3. English's work around the ground and below his knees was impressive as ever. Hard to be too bullish about his overall game given their ruckman was BOG but there's a lot to work with and take away as always with Tim.

Anchors

1. Bevo - for starting Bontempelli at CHF at the first bounce in the last quarter. That was our one and only chance to win the game and we needed our lead horse around the ball, injured or no.

2. Piss poor two-way running leading to what I'm pretty sure was 30 goals kicked from the back of the square once the "press" was broken. Reminded me of the worst of the McCartney days.

3. I like Suckling as a player a whole lot but he was anonymous in the first half and terrible in the second today. I want to fight him for that checkside running snap entry into 50 in the last quarter. Just infuriating.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    3. I like Suckling as a player a whole lot but he was anonymous in the first half and terrible in the second today. I want to fight him for that checkside running snap entry into 50 in the last quarter. Just infuriating.
    Well said Happy Days. Third week of not impacting the game enough. Time for him to go back to the VFL. Feel we would be better served with bringing in West and dropping someone else to half-back, now our season is effectively over. His tackling has been especially poor and senior players who can't bring that are out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Every week I get more and more encouraged by what I see from Tim English. I know he made blues, and was beaten, but a couple of beautiful pick ups and a moment where when it was his tun to go, he charged right through, show how bright his future is.
    2. The saints fan who offered me his spare ticket so I could go in for free.
    3. crozier for his hard work and lone hand as an attacking defender.

Anchors
    1. The whole team for that wretched first quarter and inability to match the saints desperation.
    2. The saints fan who gave me that ticket...

But, disappointing though the loss was, it paled into insignificance beside this:
    3. An ugly altercation on ground level post game where a young male saints fan who seemed to have had a skinful screamed, berated, and physically attacked another saints fan, who seemed too be his girlfriend, hurling vile abuse at her, while the security goons did little but try and shoo him away. He should have been arrested. He should have been ashamed.

And god knows what was likely to happen when they got home, given he felt free to do this in front of others. So yeah, I wish we’d won, but we didn’t, and there are worse things in life than that.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.

1. Dale- 5 goals straight.
    2. Dickson- still dangerous if unchecked.
    3. Bailey Smith- this kid will explode soon and will be considered the best of his draft year. He isn't there yet but he's teasing us with little glimpses

Anchors

1. Midfield group. Got smashed today by a much lesser midfield group.
    2. Defence getting sucked too high up the ground time and time again and not reacting quick enough allowing saints players goal side for easy goals from point blank range.
    3. Not enough effort when finals were more than just a glimmer of hope. Our season is done after losing to now the saints along with Carlton and Gold Coast. That is straight up embarrassing.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.