Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors; Rnd 18, 2019 vs St. Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Bankers.

1. Dale- 5 goals straight.
    2. Dickson- still dangerous if unchecked.
    3. Bailey Smith- this kid will explode soon and will be considered the best of his draft year. He isn't there yet but he's teasing us with little glimpses

Anchors

1. Midfield group. Got smashed today by a much lesser midfield group.
    2. Defence getting sucked too high up the ground time and time again and not reacting quick enough allowing saints players goal side for easy goals from point blank range.
    3. Not enough effort when finals were more than just a glimmer of hope. Our season is done after losing to now the saints along with Carlton and Gold Coast. That is straight up embarrassing.
    Opposition clubs are starting to target Bailey Smith and when the Saints did very few players stood up for him. Not good. Once you saw the Saints were going to be physical you knew JJ would struggle and he did.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. Bailey Smith. At 18 years old I can see this kid being a future captain. Didn't have a great game but his attitude and effort stood out. He tried his guts out and went flat out to get involved every time he got near the ball.
    2. Bailey Dale. Remains a bit of an enigma. He certainly has skills and some x-factor and proved it in this game. Five goals when we played so poorly overall was a great effort.
    3. Crozier. He was our best defender. Made good decisions, kicked long when he could and spoiled well.

Anchors.
    1. First quarter. We gave them 4 goals from turnovers - under 12 stuff!
    2. Naughton. Being a one trick wrestling pony is not his go. He has to break free and lead. If he's being slyly held, be demonstrative about it, be proactive, make sure the umpire knows, fire up! The delivery inside doesn't help him either but there was NO excuse for that miss in the 2nd.
    3. Team failed to perform in an important game against a team that had lost it's last four games and had not licked 100 points all year. There has got to be some soul searching about this. It looks like we will miss the finals again and we have not had too bad a run with injuries this year. I sure want us back in the finals next year. The work starts NOW.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bailey Dale - good to see him have a performance like that. Hopefully that grows his confidence and starts something.
    Dickson - Reckon he has been playing well, without it showing up so much on the score/stats sheet. Got the reward personally this time.
    Wood - best game for a while.

Anchors:

Libba - first game back, so will see how he responds, but I'm struggling to think of the last time he played really well or that the midfield functioned really well with him in it. Its a real worry.
    Suckling - has had a poor season. If there isn't a spot for him in the backline, then he shouldn't be playing. I've really liked what he has brought to the team/club since brought across - but this year has been the first that he has really dropped off.
    Macrae - just no care with the footy yesterday. Expect more from one of our very best players.

Post Thanks / Like

B:

English - Twice he realised he's 100kgs and hurt the opposition. He's a marking threat in the air. Nowhere near the finished product but it's like he adds little things to his game every week, tracking well

Smith - Stood up in a tackle against three Saints. He's 18.

Wood- had one howler where he went to help Cordy but forgot to actually defend his own opponent. Besides that he's getting back to his best, some huge spoils.

A:

Senior midfield group in the first quarter - asleep, zero defensive pressure
    Macrae - worst game he's ever played? By halftime he had two handballs hit the target, I'm certain every other possession was a turnover
    First quarter in general. We should have known the saints would come out breathing fire. We should all chip in and buy a coffee machine for the rooms pre-game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers.
    1. Bailey Smith. At 18 years old I can see this kid being a future captain. Didn't have a great game but his attitude and effort stood out. He tried his guts out and went flat out to get involved every time he got near the ball.
    2. Bailey Dale. Remains a bit of an enigma. He certainly has skills and some x-factor and proved it in this game. Five goals when we played so poorly overall was a great effort.
    3. Crozier. He was our best defender. Made good decisions, kicked long when he could and spoiled well.

Anchors.
    1. First quarter. We gave them 4 goals from turnovers - under 12 stuff!
    2. Naughton. Being a one trick wrestling pony is not his go. He has to break free and lead. If he's being slyly held, be demonstrative about it, be proactive, make sure the umpire knows, fire up! The delivery inside doesn't help him either but there was NO excuse for that miss in the 2nd.
    3. Team failed to perform in an important game against a team that had lost it's last four games and had not licked 100 points all year. There has got to be some soul searching about this. It looks like we will miss the finals again and we have not had too bad a run with injuries this year. I sure want us back in the finals next year. The work starts NOW.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Bankers.
    Yes and No.

He tries to take too many pack marks. This spoils other defenders and leaves his opponent unguarded. Has caused goals. Needs to focus more on his direct opponent.

He runs (good), kicks long (also good) and then looks ( not so good). Yesterday he ran out of defence and launched a good kick to 4 saints. Our guys had run into the clear and were 30 metres away. The ball came back over his head.

He is certainly getting the ball more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Yes and No.

He tries to take too many pack marks. This spoils other defenders and leaves his opponent unguarded. Has caused goals. Needs to focus more on his direct opponent.

He runs (good), kicks long (also good) and then looks ( not so good). Yesterday he ran out of defence and launched a good kick to 4 saints. Our guys had run into the clear and were 30 metres away. The ball came back over his head.

He is certainly getting the ball more often.
    I think this is a fair assessment. On one particular occasion he launched, dropped the chestmark and left the spare to waltz off with the ball.

I also agree he has a tendency to launch rather than hit a target at times (sometimes a relief in defence when you need the ball out for a moment and gives a bit of contrast with Daniel)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I think this is a fair assessment. On one particular occasion he launched, dropped the chestmark and left the spare to waltz off with the ball.

I also agree he has a tendency to launch rather than hit a target at times (sometimes a relief in defence when you need the ball out for a moment and gives a bit of contrast with Daniel)
    You mean this one.

Pathetic decision by the umpire, Saints player slams into Crozier's back while he is marking the ball. The ball spills out, umpire "Play on" and they get a goal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You mean this one.

Pathetic decision by the umpire, Saints player slams into Crozier's back while he is marking the ball. The ball spills out, umpire "Play on" and they get a goal.
    I don't think it was that one actually.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post