Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Rd 19 vs Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I read on Twitter that Mick Malthouse on 774, called him soft for not going up for the ruck contest, after he got up.
    If I remember correctly Schache was on his hands and knees for a while after the play had moved on. He was obviously trying to remember how to stand up. He needed a few attempts. I hope he can do it properly now.

Malthouse should offer a public apology. What a disgrace!

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After what happened to Picken, I'd rest him for the rest of season.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    If I remember correctly Schache was on his hands and knees for a while after the play had moved on. He was obviously trying to remember how to stand up. He needed a few attempts. I hope he can do it properly now.

Malthouse should offer a public apology. What a disgrace!
    That fake macho commentary style infuriates me. Brereton also recently dredged up the “it’s a mans game” mantra because Lachie Neale asked to see a doctor because of blurred vision. Our game is brutal. It takes quite enough of a physical toll without that stupid kind of questioning of the masculinity of those that literally risk their lives out there.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    That fake macho commentary style infuriates me. Brereton also recently dredged up the “it’s a mans game” mantra because Lachie Neale asked to see a doctor because of blurred vision. Our game is brutal. It takes quite enough of a physical toll without that stupid kind of questioning of the masculinity of those that literally risk their lives out there.
    Game is a lot tougher now than when those cowards played - king hitting when the player wasn't looking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started. Young women get forced to live a world where an online world (Insta especially) pressures them to impossible and not real standards. Then these fools try to tell young men that 'real masculinity' is risking your health unnecessarily. Except in EJ Whitten Legends week where these jerks hypocritically tell all men that they should go to the doctor for a preventative appointment (which all men should do). I'm dreading when the enevitable early deaths from concussion start happening and what these jerks will say and how that will drive impressions of young men to put them in an unacceptable position of risk or not - or maybe they can die a honourable man's death, gallant to the end.

I'm so glad I don't have to grow up in this day and age and try to make sense of everything around me and my place in it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection in round 19?

Western Bulldogs

Get them in: Father-son draftee Rhylee West was best on ground in Footscray's 37-point win over Sandringham. Returning forward Billy Gowers started slowly but worked his way into the match and finished with two goals. Premiership defenders Dale Morris and Fletcher Roberts were rocks in defence for Footscray and gives the Bulldogs options to combat Fremantle's tall forwards this week.

Under the pump: It was the Dogs' first loss in a month but with the experience in reserve there will be some changes. There will be pressure on defender Zaine Cordy, while Luke Beveridge lamented how easily the Saints were able to move out of defence, so the spots held by Roarke Smith and Bailey Smith, who combined for just one tackle on the weekend, could also come under the microscope.

Medical room: Josh Schache sat out the last quarter after suffering a concussion but he remains in the mix to face the Dockers this week. Matt Suckling received treatment on his hip during the loss to the Saints but played out the game. Ed Richards was rested last week with hamstring tightness but is expected to be available for this week.

Toyota WorkHorse Verdict: West, Morris and Richards to come in for Cordy, Suckling and Roarke Smith. - Josh Schonafinger

10. Thanks josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd drop Suckling and maybe give Schache the week to rest. One of West or Gowers up forward (West really if I'm being honest) and Lewis Young in to either cover Trengove's move forward, to play the forward ruck role or play forward and swing back when Trengove rucks.

If Schache's cherry ripe then maybe Young in for Cordy?

Post Thanks / Like

In what was our worst performance of the year against St Kilda the MC needs to refocus its attention on looking to 2020 by rewarding players who have been performing well in the VFL. Following 3 disappointing seasons it is time to refocus our approach. I would prefer to take a radical approach to selection rather than be content with what is currently being shown.
    For these reasons I would make the following changes:
    In. Sweet West B Williams Lew and Lach Young and Richards
    Out. Schache (inj) Suckling R Smith Cordy Johanissen and Liberatore who has struggled for most of the year and would be better off spending some time in the VFL.
    Schache should be rested following his heavy head knock.
    Supporters are justifiably frustrated with our indifferent performances now in its third season and deserve better. The whole Football department needs to lift its game.

13. Likes Bulldog4life, Danjul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh good, Lyon & his club are copping a concerted public blowtorch this week.

That sounds helpful.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    In. Sweet West B Williams Lew and Lach Young and Richards.
    Richards had hamstring tightness last week and may still be injured
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Oh good, Lyon & his club are copping a concerted public blowtorch this week.

That sounds helpful.
    They should sack him to guarantee the win.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a man's game...….tell that to the AFLW crazies who play it at the most elite and hardest level they can and go completely ballistic towards each other and the footy. It's insulting dinosaur views like this that represent the full picture of how the game is still viewed by some.

In my first senior game I had a head on clash with a player and we were both committed, both ended up concussed and we both ended up back on the ground in the second half. Immediately after it happened I was heading off the ground and tried to contest the footy as it came towards me and I was completely exposed. As soon as I was off I didn't know where I was, and everyone in the rooms at half time lauded me for the contest itself and the fact I tried to compete still - but they shouldn't have as the game clearly should have been stopped until my opponent and I left the ground.

It was dumb going back on, but I was in my first senior game and wanted to make sure everyone knew I was hard even as I was coming off after the initial incident. I remember things got a bit heated and a scuffle broke out later in the game when I'd returned and the slightest brush to the head put me on my arse again, but I stupidly played it out.

Josh has had his hardness questioned and I have no doubt the only thing going through his mind as he was coming off was his base need to prove to people that he is hard as well, and during that time he should have been protected against himself. For dickheads like Malthouse to question him at that time, as above, shows the dinosaur views that are still prevalent within the game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Thanks hujsh, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dermott is a proud MRA. Pretty amazing he still has a job in the AFL media.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Dermott is a proud MRA. Pretty amazing he still has a job in the AFL media.
    For the unwashed of us that means.....?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.