Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is there such a gulf between our best and our worst?

Great wins this season against sides like the Tigers and the Cats, and now this poo today.

It's not the first time, either.

The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is there such a gulf between our best and our worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Great wins this season against sides like the Tigers and the Cats, and now this poo today.

It's not the first time, either.

Because the players think effort and attention to detail with skills and defence is conditional upon who we are playing. The players also lack respect for some opponents and don't understand that every team in the AFL can make them suffer if they refuse to respect them.

As I said in the game day thread this is an extremely unlikeable trait to have in a group of players.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Because the players think effort and attention to detail with skills and defence is conditional upon who we are playing. The players also lack respect for some opponents and don't understand that every team in the AFL can make them suffer if they refuse to respect them.

As I said in the game day thread this is an extremely unlikeable trait to have in a group of players.
    I feel JJ, Dickson, Trengove and Cordy made some terrible errors in the first. That's a leadership issue at that age level.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

It was a terrible start for us today. We seemed to play catch up all day.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    It was a terrible start for us today. We seemed to play catch up all day.
    So why do we start so poorly so often?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

To paraphrase Groucho Marx-If we knew that we wouldn't need the talcum powder.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a good question Dry Rot. Is it in the mind? I didn’t expect that 1st quarter after Dicko got that first goal. A lot of footy relies on confidence/momentum in games and when you don’t have that then you will get beat by a lot.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Bit of a concerning trend. Once, maybe twice in a year? It can happen but 3 off the top of my head (Carlton, GC, Saints) is unforgivable

Post Thanks / Like

Winning the inside fifties again suggests our consistent point of failure is our execution into our 50 or our forward setup, we seem flakey in this area, we look great when we nail it but we dominated that 2nd qtr for nothing.

Seems coachable.

Post Thanks / Like

Lack of leadership?
    Age of list?
    One of those days?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Bit of a concerning trend. Once, maybe twice in a year? It can happen but 3 off the top of my head (Carlton, GC, Saints) is unforgivable
    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Lack of leadership?
    Age of list?
    One of those days?
    These are the major reasons I struggle with when it comes to anointing Bont as our next captain. He's a bloody good player and is on the verge of being a great player but he fails to execute in front of goals, and it seems a lot of the time he and his peers within our midfield don't know when it is the right time to go defencive when the patterns show they should.

Our midfield has all the traits of being excellent if they remain disciplined. If they don't they get monstered and beaten on the spread because they aren't quick and in honesty have too much faith in how good they can be which results in them not respecting the opposition. Over time I have thought this to be a maturity issue, but I'm coming around to the prospect of it being a character issue and that really concerns me. They are genuinely blue chip, elite personnel, but I'm afraid they're showing signs of being arrogant and not able to defend in game when needed.

We talk about how good it is to have the likes of Jacko, Bont, and Dunks as massive mids but we struggle with pace and variation. All of these guys need to be at the top of their game if we are to win, and like we saw tonight without Hunter cleaning up and accumulating outside we get exposed. Toby out didn't help, but in reality, we need Richards to come on very quickly or we need to trade some variation in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Lack of leadership?
    Age of list?
    One of those days?
    I reckon it’s one/all of:

Leadership
    Structures that are flakey
    An inconsistent spine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    In each of those games we were jumped at the start, 6 goals, 5 goals and 6 goals. Then we decided, oh shit, we should be putting some effort into this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In each of those games we were jumped at the start, 6 goals, 5 goals and 6 goals. Then we decided, oh shit, we should be putting some effort into this.
    I'd be 100% certain that Bevo would have made the players aware that the 3 teams were primed to come out with some aggression and yet we never really were up for the challenge. The things we can control like effort and attitude have failed us with obvious tests
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "These blokes aren't the duds we thought they were. Maybe we should give them some respect? Oops, too late"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite