Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is there such a gulf between our best and our worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He rushed to play on (because he's lost confidence in set shot kicking) was tackled and the ball just hit his foot which meant it was play on instead of holding the ball.
    Was it against the Saints or was it the week before? I'm thinking it was the week before and the oppo player missed the tackle. He went to wrap Marcus up on the edge of the square but Bont moved and he missed him altogether.

It is the first time I have seen the Bont affected by inferred pressure.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Was it against the Saints or was it the week before? I'm thinking it was the week before and the oppo player missed the tackle. He went to wrap Marcus up on the edge of the square but Bont moved and he missed him altogether.

It is the first time I have seen the Bont affected by inferred pressure.
    Against Melbourne
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Against Melbourne
    The Tackler stumbled and almost fell over and Bont got the ball drop exactly right but then almost forgot that he had to swing his foot at the ball. Ted Whitten probably did something like that once too.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Just saying but we moved the ball better the last couple of weeks when Daniel was not playing. He seems to halt momentum sometimes when he doesn't give it off at the first option and runs around circles only to give off one of those piddly kicks sideways.
    Daniel in the team is an interesting conundrum. We use him to get out of jail, and he often gets the ball under intense pressure. He isn’t quick to release it though - part of his charm at times - and often kicks down the ground to equal pressure. In short - I think we sometimes act too cute deep in defence because we know he can clear the arc.

I thought we looked better down back without him. Freer flowing, better run, more end to end setups. I’d like to see him moved back to that link player on a wing and have him release us 100m out from our goal rather than 5.

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The Tackler stumbled and almost fell over and Bont got the ball drop exactly right but then almost forgot that he had to swing his foot at the ball. Ted Whitten probably did something like that once too.
    Nope. Ted would have held the ball up high after he marked then swaggered back and took his time. Then roosted the ball through for a goal.

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Daniel in the team is an interesting conundrum. We use him to get out of jail, and he often gets the ball under intense pressure. He isn’t quick to release it though - part of his charm at times - and often kicks down the ground to equal pressure. In short - I think we sometimes act too cute deep in defence because we know he can clear the arc.

I thought we looked better down back without him. Freer flowing, better run, more end to end setups. I’d like to see him moved back to that link player on a wing and have him release us 100m out from our goal rather than 5.
    Interesting view. Do you think Daniel would his serve us better on the wing so he delivers into the forward 50. Morris coming back could allow this and if he can set us up with better forward 50 entries Naughton would be licking his lips.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel makes his time by going backwards, into space which he is afforded in the position he plays. Then he uses his ability to kick hard across his body to position when he can.

On the wing he’d need pace he doesn’t posses, and to kick forward. It would waste his skills, and expose him for pace.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Interesting view. Do you think Daniel would his serve us better on the wing so he delivers into the forward 50. Morris coming back could allow this and if he can set us up with better forward 50 entries Naughton would be licking his lips.
    I'd like to see him tried back there, he was absolutely outstanding in 2016 in that linkage role. Having said this, i thought he was suerb again today and added that depth and movement to our backline. We played really well without him too so its a tough call. I dont see his lack of speed being an issue at all - a player with his offball and on ball movement, decision making and skills can clearly compensate for physical deficiencies.
    The dam wall has busted!

12. Likes N/A liked this post