Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is there such a gulf between our best and our worst?

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Winning the inside fifties again suggests our consistent point of failure is our execution into our 50 or our forward setup, we seem flakey in this area, we look great when we nail it but we dominated that 2nd qtr for nothing.

Seems coachable.
    This also proves that stats are a crock. Yes we can improve our execution but we were flogged all over the ground. Freo had more inside 50's against the Eagles the other week and got beaten by 90 points.

2. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    This also proves that stats are a crock. Yes we can improve our execution but we were flogged all over the ground. Freo had more inside 50's against the Eagles the other week and got beaten by 90 points.
    Yep, quality of inside 50s really matters. A bunch of throw ins on the 50m arc give you a congested mess but may count as 3-4 inside 50s.

We are young so it is a contributing factor but not an excuse.
    I wonder if we targeted Duryea in the off season as we have had small forwards get ahold of us a few times this year. Walters, Lonie, etc can all do damage to us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Once the Saints had a 7 goal lead they sat back and killed us on the counter. Stats without context is just useless.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s more of a leadership issue. I 100% convinced that if a Hodge, Selwood, Ward, Jones, Kennedy type of player was our captain. These guys would get eyeballed and asked what we’re you thinking. They would set the standard and demand results.

I really think we need to go out headhunt a captain and true leader, overhaul our leadership group and get a couple of Assistant coaches that have some shit about them. Yep we have enough nice guy or people management assistants. Let’s get down and dirty and develop a hard nosed edge to our game.

This was the main grate the power sides like Brisbane lions, then the Hawks and Cats all had in spades.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

6. Likes azabob, S Coast Simon, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really struggle against teams that burst out of the blocks with aggression. Need to lift that part of our game - agree w have blue chip stock in the center - need to get a bit of mongrel in them to match it.

Comparing this weeks center stoppages to those against the cats and port are light and day. Danger/Kelly/Selwood basically shake hands with Bont/Dunks/Macrae at the start and end of the game. In those situations we work the tap, can feed it out and get a clearance. In short on skill we’re up the top.

The saints, and Melbourne to an extent, play a close checking lock down setup. We struggle to spread and can’t clear the ball. Our head drops, the other team builds momentum and we can’t stem the flow of scoring - or at best can’t stop them scoring so we can run away.

I actually thought we lost the game in our defensive 50 last week. Usually it’s our forward line and inaccuracies - but this week we were pretty good. Not one player - and a couple of good performances - but a lot of fumbles with ball at ground and a lot of too high or too low linking handballs through the middle. Just wasn’t our day and the saints came to play.

8. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I think it’s more of a leadership issue. I 100% convinced that if a Hodge, Selwood, Ward, Jones, Kennedy type of player was our captain. These guys would get eyeballed and asked what we’re you thinking. They would set the standard and demand results.

I really think we need to go out headhunt a captain and true leader, overhaul our leadership group and get a couple of Assistant coaches that have some shit about them. Yep we have enough nice guy or people management assistants. Let’s get down and dirty and develop a hard nosed edge to our game.

This was the main grate the power sides like Brisbane lions, then the Hawks and Cats all had in spades.
    We have one in waiting - Bont. Give him the responsibility and you will see this guy go to another level. He should be the Captain now as he a once in a generation player and leader. That was deplorable Sunday when no one stood up to the Saints. You will find from now on sides will be physical with us as they know we don't like it. Bailey Smith was the only one who stood up to their tactics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    ..... We struggle to spread and can’t clear the ball.....

..... but a lot of fumbles with ball at ground and a lot of too high or too low linking handballs through the middle. .
    Agree.

One clear distinction between the recent wins and losses has been the way the team used handball.

In the wins the team has set up for a kick as first option. Against Geelong, Wood and McLean(?) both did long kicks to Lloyd when he was 1 on 1 leading to quick goals. Handballs were long, opening up the game.

In the losses the passage through the centre has been rushed or sideways and based on short handball. It drags our players in and allowed the opposition to corral and pressure them, while still leaving one or two runners free. Against the Saints, Macrae and Dunkley handballed 40+ times. Lipinski and Smith also preferred handball. Overall, this worked against us.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Agree.

One clear distinction between the recent wins and losses has been the way the team used handball.

In the wins the team has set up for a kick as first option. Against Geelong, Wood and McLean(?) both did long kicks to Lloyd when he was 1 on 1 leading to quick goals. Handballs were long, opening up the game.

In the losses the passage through the centre has been rushed or sideways and based on short handball. It drags our players in and allowed the opposition to corral and pressure them, while still leaving one or two runners free. Against the Saints, Macrae and Dunkley handballed 40+ times. Lipinski and Smith also preferred handball. Overall, this worked against us.
    Just saying but we moved the ball better the last couple of weeks when Daniel was not playing. He seems to halt momentum sometimes when he doesn't give it off at the first option and runs around circles only to give off one of those piddly kicks sideways.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saying but we moved the ball better the last couple of weeks when Daniel was not playing. He seems to halt momentum sometimes when he doesn't give it off at the first option and runs around circles only to give off one of those piddly kicks sideways.
    Good observations. I really loved Bonts long raking entries from the square sometimes into the fifty. Mids with that kind of kicking power are worth their weight in gold. Other than that we very often, really make hard work of our goals. That last kick into attack seems to plague us.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Good observations. I really loved Bonts long raking entries from the square sometimes into the fifty. Mids with that kind of kicking power are worth their weight in gold. Other than that we very often, really make hard work of our goals. That last kick into attack seems to plague us.
    Bont really needs to hit a target instead of just slamming the ball on to his foot. He has a beautiful kicking action and the ball must travel 60 metres plus at times. I would love him to come out of the centre with the ball and hit someone on the chest.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Bont really needs to hit a target instead of just slamming the ball on to his foot. He has a beautiful kicking action and the ball must travel 60 metres plus at times. I would love him to come out of the centre with the ball and hit someone on the chest.
    He did that twice in a couple of minutes just before three quarter time against North. We had 2 hitouts to advantage and he was able to run straight.

It was English’s chest. (35 metres out 20 degree angle). He goaled both times.

Then both were taken off and we then lost all momentum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I am under the impression that most of our entries into the 50 metre arc are close to where it meets the boundaries. We have few players who can consistently goal from there. Unless the ball is in Dickson’s hands another pass is required, and that is the one that often becomes a turnover.

The entries must be quicker, deeper and squarer. On Sunday I saw Dale make good position a number of times early in the game but he was ignored. The same thing happened later when English was positioned 30 metres in front of goal, all the incoming kicks went to the boundary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As opposed to our other mids who can be lucky to hit their foot at times?

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    As opposed to our other mids who can be lucky to hit their foot at times?
    Didn't Bont miss his foot on the weekend when he marked and went to run into the open goal? Or was that the week before because I have done my best to wipe it from my memory (it's going pretty well as you can see)
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Didn't Bont miss his foot on the weekend when he marked and went to run into the open goal? Or was that the week before because I have done my best to wipe it from my memory (it's going pretty well as you can see)
    He rushed to play on (because he's lost confidence in set shot kicking) was tackled and the ball just hit his foot which meant it was play on instead of holding the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers