Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fox vs Seven: where footy analysis trumps inanity.

Great little article looking at the fundamental difference between 7 and Fox footy

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...20-p5294z.html

2. Thanks Ghost Dog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fox vs Seven: where footy analysis trumps inanity.

This encapsulates Ch 7 in a nutshell. Their commentators don't give a shit about the players or the game, they are there to make the coverage all about themselves. And we are all like hostage victims being forced to watch their self-indulgent garbage because there are no other choices.

The sooner those pricks lose the rights (forever I hope), the better.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes Ghost Dog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad someone has actually commented on the differences in the media and called them out.

I think people watching the game want to just hear the calla mnd give us an analysis of what the teams are doing, the moves they are making and how they are winning the ball etc.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think this is on the commentary team. The channel 7 producers would be giving direction on what the conversations should be around.

So Sedat it’s channel 7 who don’t give a hoot about the audience.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Well clearly they do because they obviously want to maximise their ratings.

I have barely met a person that likes the channel 7 commentary style, so you'd assume they know that they are almost universally disliked by the football world.

But maybe it's simply that for 80% of the people watching the game it doesn't really matter. I know personally I can bitch about how bad Cameron Ling is all night but I have never not watched a game because of him. Maybe for the vast majority of people they just like watching the footy, and will do so even if the commentary is a bit shit. But for the next tier of people, that it does matter for, maybe they aren't as into the footy as the rest of us and enjoy the "colour" the channel 7 style brings to the coverage.

Maybe if you had both sets of commentary teams available for the same match on the same night the core 80% would prefer Fox but would still tune in to watch either, but the rest would only watch 7. So 7 can choose to appease the masses and bank a happier 80% of their current ratings but lose the 20%, or have a less satisfied 80% that still tunes in and grab the remaining 20% as well.

This is the only reasoning I can think of.

(For the record I don't think Fox Footy's coverage is overly fantastic, but it is better than 7's).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don’t think this is on the commentary team. The channel 7 producers would be giving direction on what the conversations should be around.

Yep, they are definitely led to their loathsome self-indulgence by the arsehole execs. As an example, have a listen to BT on Fox Footy around 2011 - it is like a different person altogether.

Ch 7 are a stain on footy that needs to be eradicated forever.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find myself yelling at them to commentate what’s in front of them . Way way to often self indulgent most of them
    Like Jason Bennett but I guess he’s not in the boys club , hence he doesn’t get a gig much

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    This encapsulates Ch 7 in a nutshell. Their commentators don't give a shit about the players or the game, they are there to make the coverage all about themselves. And we are all like hostage victims being forced to watch their self-indulgent garbage because there are no other choices.

The sooner those pricks lose the rights (forever I hope), the better.
    It staggers me how Hamish McLaughlan landed such a prime gig. His contribution is completely inane and sycophantic. As a reluctant viewer his contribution to the call is cringeworthy. What a shame that archival coverage of games will be forever tainted.

Leave him to do the AusKick interviews at half time where he seems most suited.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it must be part direction from their producers. I'm sure when the game might be slowing down in parts that they are fed instructions to engage in banter. It's been obvious the direction they are increasingly taking. They are trying to create their own personalities as being the show and the football is just on in the background.

While I don't know anyone that enjoys them, i'm sure there must be people out there that do, they would of done their research for their focus groups.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wish there was an option which allowed noise to come through but muted the commentary.

I actually don't need the commentators to tell me which player is which nor do I need them to tell me what is happening.

In the article, the 'positive' examples of the commentary on Foxtel are amongst the sort of stuff I find particularly annoying...they seem determined to teach me the game through what is happening and TELL me who is playing well and exactly why. Don't get me wrong, the examples of the channel 7 guys talking about things other than the game are annoying as well, but can't we be left to interpret the game our own way?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually find MMM commentary the worst of the lot - talk about themselves in stupid nicknames constantly, any danger in actually describing the play?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It staggers me how Hamish McLaughlan landed such a prime gig. His contribution is completely inane and sycophantic. As a reluctant viewer his contribution to the call is cringeworthy. What a shame that archival coverage of games will be forever tainted.

Leave him to do the AusKick interviews at half time where he seems most suited.
    The answer to your question is in his surname

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I just wish there was an option which allowed noise to come through but muted the commentary.

I actually don't need the commentators to tell me which player is which nor do I need them to tell me what is happening.

In the article, the 'positive' examples of the commentary on Foxtel are amongst the sort of stuff I find particularly annoying...they seem determined to teach me the game through what is happening and TELL me who is playing well and exactly why. Don't get me wrong, the examples of the channel 7 guys talking about things other than the game are annoying as well, but can't we be left to interpret the game our own way?
    The Old fox Footy channel use to have options like that. They had four different camera angles, plus you could watch with just the crowd noise.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Old fox Footy channel use to have options like that. They had four different camera angles, plus you could watch with just the crowd noise.
    It's a shame they don't provide the option anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

The camera work leaves a lot to be desired as well. Why do we have to put up with constant crosses to the coaches box or following an injured player way longer than is required please focus on what's happening on the field.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

24. Likes Topdog liked this post