Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fox vs Seven: where footy analysis trumps inanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The camera work leaves a lot to be desired as well. Why do we have to put up with constant crosses to the coaches box or following an injured player way longer than is required please focus on what's happening on the field.
    The default camera angle (the mid range one) is bloody awful. It's just far enough away so you cant make out who has the ball and just close enough so that you can't see what the next link in the chain is going to be or who is manning up on who. I think they changed it just a little bit this season in anticipation of the 6/6/6 rule thinking the ball would move quicker but that didn't happen.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The Old fox Footy channel use to have options like that. They had four different camera angles, plus you could watch with just the crowd noise.
    Really? I didn't know that and I've been banging on about it ever since I read about them doing it in the States back in the '80s. I'm spewing that I missed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a tough call.

Watching a game on 7 - you have to put up with their commentators.
    Watching on Foxtel - in non-Dwayne Russell games, the commentary is a bit better - but its a struggle to actually see the game, as they can't seem to show whats happening in between bad camera work and showing replays during play.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to ignore the commentators but for some reason I just can't ignore Cameron Ling. His voice grates on me something shocking.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching in 4K on foxtel is the ultimate in picture quality. Not all games are broadcast on the 444 chanel, none of the Seven games and only a few of the normal Foxtel games. and
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    The camera work leaves a lot to be desired as well. Why do we have to put up with constant crosses to the coaches box or following an injured player way longer than is required please focus on what's happening on the field.
    During our game against Carlton at the height of the crowd behaviour controversies, there were shots of the security guards walking up and down the aisle, as though it somehow had some sort of impact on the match itself.

It was totally unnecessary because there was enough happening on the field to keep the viewer enthralled.

i've lost count of the number of times I've yelled at my TV for the Channel 7 commentators to 'shut up and call the game for *!*!*!*!s sake'.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite Seven routine is when there's a marginal/confusing free plucked resulting in a set shot, and instead of an instant explanatory replay you get a camera close-trained on the bloke taking the free while he gets up, dusts himself off, strolls back from the mark, puts the ball down, pulls the socks up, pops the mouthguard away, fixes the hair, picks the ball up again, checks the mark with the ump, looks up at the scoreboard, gets some advice from a teammate, checks the mark again, spins the ball a few times, takes a deep breath and then finally ambles in to take the kick you're still none the wiser why he was the recipient of -- because you don't want to forgo any of the aforementioned *action* -- then whether the ensuing kick is a goal or a behind THEN you get your belated replay over the top of the resumption of live play which they charitably cut back to and suddenly the ball's mysteriously out on the wing.

Two thumbs up.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Thanks Twodogs, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven's commentary is a banal experience but at least they don't roll out Dwayne Russell to actively ruin games. There is nothing in world sport as detrimental to the product than Dwayne chiming in with an "OH BABY" after a neat piece of play.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Also when you strip back all of the extra nonsense (which Seven go out of their way to increase admittedly) BT is the best caller in the game. His call of Caleb's goal in the 2016 prelim is without peer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also when you strip back all of the extra nonsense (which Seven go out of their way to increase admittedly) BT is the best caller in the game. His call of Caleb's goal in the 2016 prelim is without peer.
    He was actually good that game, he's pretty much useless unless it's a massive occasion.

Here's the unfortunate reality about Ch7's commentary and coverage. It IS what the broader public wants. We in this thread think our echo chamber and its views is representative of what everyone wants......and we're dead wrong. Australian sports fans love jingoism and banality more than anything else, they don't want analysis, they just want to feel good, feel included, know who the good guys are, and most importantly, know who the bad guys are.

I really hate the Ch7 and broader commercial network attitudes towards everything, and I mean, everything. But you've got shows like My Kitchen's Bogans, Master Bogans, Off Bogans, Dr Bogan, Dancing with the Bogans, Australia's Got Bogans....the list goes on, and the reason why these shows are popular is because they appeal to the same type of person the coverage of AFL does. The Bogan.....but not the Bogan of the old nomenclature the traditional name referred to, the new aspirational Bogan that has become so prevalent in our society that the niche funny web page of the late naughtie's, Things Bogans Like, is now an historical view into a dystopian future we are now all living.

I've gone pretty hard here, sorry if I've offended anyone.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, N/A, bornadog, hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He was actually good that game, he's pretty much useless unless it's a massive occasion.

Here's the unfortunate reality about Ch7's commentary and coverage. It IS what the broader public wants. We in this thread think our echo chamber and its views is representative of what everyone wants......and we're dead wrong. Australian sports fans love jingoism and banality more than anything else, they don't want analysis, they just want to feel good, feel included, know who the good guys are, and most importantly, know who the bad guys are.

I really hate the Ch7 and broader commercial network attitudes towards everything, and I mean, everything. But you've got shows like My Kitchen's Bogans, Master Bogans, Off Bogans, Dr Bogan, Dancing with the Bogans, Australia's Got Bogans....the list goes on, and the reason why these shows are popular is because they appeal to the same type of person the coverage of AFL does. The Bogan.....but not the Bogan of the old nomenclature the traditional name referred to, the new aspirational Bogan that has become so prevalent in our society that the niche funny web page of the late naughtie's, Things Bogans Like, is now an historical view into a dystopian future we are now all living.

Pretty much - if the world's political climate has shown anything in the last 3-4 years it's to never underestimate the silent majority.

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Pretty much - if the world's political climate has shown anything in the last 3-4 years it's to never underestimate the silent majority.
    Correctomundo Brad (Brett)!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off sound. Turn on Radio. Fixed.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Only the Bogans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Only the Bogans.
    Border Security Bogan, New Zealand Police 10-Bogan-7.