Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fox vs Seven: where footy analysis trumps inanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Turn off sound. Turn on Radio. Fixed.
    I'v tried, the broadcasts are 2-3 seconds apart which makes it annoying.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'v tried, the broadcasts are 2-3 seconds apart which makes it annoying.
    A DAB (digital) radio may fix that. It used to be aligned but maybe they have adjusted because I don't think the TV likes us ignoring the ads.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Turn off sound. Turn on Radio. Fixed.
    Ummm. Right. Cos the radio commentary is sooooo much better!

Crowd noise would be best.
    Silence is second best - well, a musical soundtrack!. Commentary last.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I actually turn the sound off. It's the only palatable option. If I had crowd noise I'd go for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound down, laughing at my elderly dad commentate and make highly questionable calls ( Holding...the...BALL! ) is best.
    He's not even that much into footy, but when it's on he gets really fired up. It's hilarious.

In other news, Great Western defeated Ararat North last week. The final score was 79.41 (515) to 1.0 (6).
    So @MJP when you think things are pretty bad at Whitten Oval, things are never as bad as they are for Ararat Eagles fans.
    A couple of Tiwi Islander blokes kicked 45 goals between them....
    Ararat only had 15 blokes on the ground but they had to play for comp reasons.

My Dad has a point in that in days gone by you could have the game on the TV, and just by listening, understand what was going on. No hope now and even when two people have the same last surnames they don't bother helping anyone listening to figure out who is who. They don't even regularly call out the score.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 24-07-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Sound down, laughing at my elderly dad commentate and make highly questionable calls ( Holding...the...BALL! ) is best.
    He's not even that much into footy, but when it's on he gets really fired up. It's hilarious.

In other news, Great Western defeated Ararat North last week. The final score was 79.41 (515) to 1.0 (6).
    So @MJP when you think things are pretty bad at Whitten Oval, things are never as bad as they are for Ararat Eagles fans.
    Ummm - at least they kicked a goal.

I may or may not have been involved in a team that didn't kick a goal last weekend.

8. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may or may not have been involved in a team that didn't kick a goal last weekend.
    I'm going for 'definitely was '

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but I am assuming that you had a full team. That's something to be grateful for now?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but I am assuming that you had a full team. That's something to be grateful for now?
    I found very little to be grateful for last weekend.

- Son number 1 lost (after the siren)
    - Son number 2 lost (3 goals - and he was sent off for the 4th time this season).
    - Freo WON.
    - West Coast WON.
    - I had to endure a 5 hour bus ride to the game in which we scored 0.4. Then make a thankyou speech in front of the town at a dinner that night. Then stay overnight. Then endure the bus ride back the next day. And it rained the ENTIRE TIME.

Did I mention we didn't score a single goal...though at one point a player was running into an open goal (20m in the clear) - but the umpire stopped the game because another of our players (the only other player in the camera shot on the replay) was down in the goal square being attended too. THEN, rather than award us a free kick - as he should have - he decided to ball it up, from which the opposition knocked it through for a point. The umpiring department has further acknowledged that the free kicks leading to 3 of the opposition goals were incorrect and should not have been awarded....aaaahhhhh, duh - I, like, KNOW they weren't free kicks (I was there!). Apparently umpires are people too and make mistakes - in particular for the opposition when the ball is 15m away from goal, directly in front. I'm not bitter though.

Oh - and I don't want to hear about goal-kicking. Our goal-less game came with 43 inside 50's (the opposition had 51). We were beaten - and beaten well, but....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also when you strip back all of the extra nonsense (which Seven go out of their way to increase admittedly) BT is the best caller in the game. His call of Caleb's goal in the 2016 prelim is without peer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZJsg1jz7w

Damn that brought back some tingles.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found very little to be grateful for last weekend.

- Son number 1 lost (after the siren)
    - Son number 2 lost (3 goals - and he was sent off for the 4th time this season).
    - Freo WON.
    - West Coast WON.
    - I had to endure a 5 hour bus ride to the game in which we scored 0.4. Then make a thankyou speech in front of the town at a dinner that night. Then stay overnight. Then endure the bus ride back the next day. And it rained the ENTIRE TIME.

Did I mention we didn't score a single goal...though at one point a player was running into an open goal (20m in the clear) - but the umpire stopped the game because another of our players (the only other player in the camera shot on the replay) was down in the goal square being attended too. THEN, rather than award us a free kick - as he should have - he decided to ball it up, from which the opposition knocked it through for a point. The umpiring department has further acknowledged that the free kicks leading to 3 of the opposition goals were incorrect and should not have been awarded....aaaahhhhh, duh - I, like, KNOW they weren't free kicks (I was there!). Apparently umpires are people too and make mistakes - in particular for the opposition when the ball is 15m away from goal, directly in front. I'm not bitter though.

Oh - and I don't want to hear about goal-kicking. Our goal-less game came with 43 inside 50's (the opposition had 51). We were beaten - and beaten well, but....
    The things parents have to do
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What did the other mob score Mike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What did the other mob score Mike?

17. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad has a point in that in days gone by you could have the game on the TV, and just by listening, understand what was going on. No hope now and even when two people have the same last surnames they don't bother helping anyone listening to figure out who is who. They don't even regularly call out the score.
    Too true.
    I find the VFL commentary far superior.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I know its off topic but I lived in Ararat for 3 years and its absolutely heartbreaking to see what is happening to the Eagles.

There are two clubs in Ararat, the larger of the two plays in the Wimmera League and get most of the love from big name sponsors in the town. The Eagles have held on by a thread for a while but I don't like their chances of survival longer term.