Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sweet's big month

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Sweet or Lew Young? Probably has to be one or the other right now
    Is Lewie Young right to play? Struggled to walk when he passed me during the Casey / Bulldogs VFL game, very proppy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Is Lewie Young right to play? Struggled to walk when he passed me during the Casey / Bulldogs VFL game, very proppy.
    He played on the weekend.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    On the basis that he has been doing ok and deserves a chance. On the basis that last week cruelled our season, heads need to roll and it is time to try kids like Sweet West and Lewis Young. Several are simply presuming he will fail.
    You simply pick the best team you can to win the game, or you are not fair dinkum as a footy club.

If you think that Sweet, West and Young are in the best team - then that is perfectly fine. But I struggle to see how playing 2 ruckman-only players helps us win.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's probably only one opponent where Sweet would be a possibility to be selected and actually contribute, and it is Freo - Sandilands and Darcy are not aerobic beasts nor do they rack up big possession chain numbers, and I worry that English will get smashed if he has to ruck against these two at stoppages for much longer than 50% game time.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Ross Lyon will be structuring up for a stoppage and congestion heavy game on Sunday, and if he does we will either have to be unbelievable at sharking opposition taps or English will need some serious support at stoppages. English will also be dangerous when up forward and assist Naughton in combating the likely double-teaming he will cop.

Sweet for Schache won't unbalance the team too much.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    You simply pick the best team you can to win the game, or you are not fair dinkum as a footy club.

If you think that Sweet, West and Young are in the best team - then that is perfectly fine. But I struggle to see how playing 2 ruckman-only players helps us win.
    Tend to agree with you Ozza although westbulldog makes some very good points. I’m all for trying out the kids and getting games into them which is important but I think we still need to be playing our best team possible at this stage given we are still a very small chance if somehow we win all our games. It’s a balancing act.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Who else thought that the thread heading said "Sweet's Big Mouth" when they first saw it? I thought "Oh no, what have we done now?"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Who else thought that the thread heading said "Sweet's Big Mouth" when they first saw it? I thought "Oh no, what have we done now?"
    Not just the first time. Almost every time.

Post Thanks / Like

The ground swell for Sweet is reminding me of the push for Will Minson to debut all those years ago.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nah don't play him.

We haven't written the season off yet (maybe we should, but Beveridge and company won't) so will be picking a side to win.

You can't pick Sweet yet unless you think he can genuinely ruck for 70% of the game because he is yet to show anything anywhere else. If he comes in and struggles, which is likely considering he is playing Sandilands, where do you put him when we switch to plan B (putting English/Naughton in the ruck and getting them to get involved everywhere else)? He is not a forward and not a key defender, and he's not a roaming ruckman so it's hitouts and clearance competitiveness or nothing.

I'm not saying he couldn't possibly have a good game, but I think the probability of him being an asset and not a liability is about 20%, which is a big risk to take when the probable outcome means you are trying to hide a big, slow bloke who can't contribute anywhere other than trying not to lose in the ruck for a whole game.

If you want a competitor in the ruck, play Trengove there and bring Young or Morris in for defence.
    This post highlighted to me how well English's mobility has served us. He's a gem.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Lyon said last night on the Ch7 news here that Lobb may be ok to play and Sandilands too however other footy media scribes here disagree. Some say Lobb won't play and Sandilands wont travel. So in the event that Schache is out English can move forward where he would present a headache for the Dockers and ruck for a lesser % of the game. Based on what I have seen of the Dockers
    their prime movers are definitely Fyfe Mundy Brad Hill and Walters, containing them goes a long way towards a win. I don't think we are in the finals race after last week and our poor % so that is why I suggest giving these kids a go.

13. Thanks Sedat, GVGjr thanked for this post