Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  29
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 20, Vs Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Not quite correct.

Schache was injured in the back pocket while playing as a ruckman. He attempted to spoil a pack which already had Cordy and Wood in it. We had a fourth player in the pack but I forget who it was.

Being known as a leading forward he obviously had no idea of what to do in the circumstances. He came in wide and late and was totally off balance.

Why we repeatedly have half the backline going up in the same pack suggests a lack of confidence in each other- maybe?

I've had a couple of looks at the video and I can't see anyone else apart from Wood, Cordy and Schache (That's enough though) flying for the mark. Interestingly the players who seem to be crumbing the pack are Dunkley and Trengove, at least they didn't get in the way.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

(Morris out for Roberts, Richards out for Schache...sorry but I can't find a spot for Toby based on the form shown over the past couple of weeks...Dale, Lloyd, Smith, West etc should all hold their spots. In pure 'win now' terms though, he should probably come in for West).

Am I misreading this? Richards and Schache were both in the team last week weren't they? How can one replace the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Am I misreading this? Richards and Schache were both in the team last week weren't they? How can one replace the other?
    Maybe with your furious rooting on the weekend you suffered a concussion like Schache did, hence why he didn't play against the Dockers?

4. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Maybe with your furious rooting on the weekend you suffered a concussion like Schache did, hence why he didn't play against the Dockers?
    You're right. I thought it was this week that Scache injured himself.

It wouldn't be the first time that I have had a rooting related concussion.

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Who plays on McStay in the above scenario mjp?
    I figured one of them would get 'out' and have to be soaked up by the Wood, Crozier type jumping machines.

It is also the reason I listed Cordy for defensive support if required...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts lack of pace worries me, especially on Hipwood, but I guess as long as he isn't getting the ball in marking contests in the goal square then he can lead out to 50 if he wants to find the ball.

Here is the top Brisbane goal scorers so far this year: (games, goals)

Charlie Cameron 18 37

Eric Hipwood 17 27

Hugh McCluggage 17 19

Lincoln McCarthy 18 19

Cameron Rayner 18 17

Daniel McStay 18 17

Dayne Zorko 18 17

McInerney has 15 games 8 goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Given we see Lewis Young as part of our future then he needs to play in front of Roberts who is most likely going to be delisted come the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given we see Lewis Young as part of our future then he needs to play in front of Roberts who is most likely going to be delisted come the end of the season.
    Morris had his op last night. He'll be a certain starter Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Even while finals are possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Yep.

We need to be looking long term and hopefully a good finish to the year in the seniors for Lewis will give him the impetus for a big pre-season.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with the best option regardless of longer term plans
    The time to get Lewis Young settled in was a couple of months back and we didn't think his form warranted it

I have no issue if he is selected but we are past the stage of having development plans being at the front of our selection process
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’d argue Young gives us greater flexibility than Roberts and on that basis helps us win more than Roberts does.

17. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Who DOES have an array of options for 'Hipwood types'? He's 200cm's and as quick on the sprint as nearly anyone in the league
    Oddly enough I think we have our own Hipwood, in Aaron Naughton.

I love that he is now not tied to the forward line, and often presents up the ground to provide a link option when the ball exits defence. He has a great pair of hands, and a good leap and isn't beaten when the ball hits the deck. He has kicked some memorable goals when the ball comes out after the aerial contest. Aaron is also quicker, and more agile, than anyone of his size has a right to be. Also, when he chooses he is a good lead and takes the ball in his hands well in front, making it impossible to spoil for the defender.

Maybe this game will hinge on the result of the Hipwood v Naughton contest.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Roberts did a good enough job on Hipwood last time, but Young is plainly a better match up for him athletically. I think he gives us a better chance to win right now than Roberts does too.

Can only really find out if Lewy's fixed his game sense and read of the play by actually playing him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

'Gabbatoir' could decide Dogs' finals fate

Plenty has changed since Jason Johannisen last played at the Gabba, where a resurgent Brisbane could make or break the Western Bulldogs' finals chances this weekend.

Sunday's game is a must-win for the Bulldogs, who sit ninth on the ladder amid half a dozen teams chasing a finals berth.

The Dogs trail eighth-placed Adelaide only on percentage but are just four points clear of Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, Fremantle and St Kilda.

Johannisen hasn't played at the Gabba in almost four years, having been a late withdrawal for the Bulldogs' last visit in 2017.

Back then, the Lions were easybeats on their home deck, where they posted just 10 wins and 34 losses between 2015 and 2018.

The tables have turned this season.

Brisbane have lost just once – to Collingwood in round 5 – from eight games at the Gabba, and they sit third on the ladder.

Their form resurgence has also bumped crowds up, creating an atmosphere that Johannisen likened to West Coast's Optus Stadium fortress.

"They're getting some record crowds up there," he said.

"It's definitely (becoming) like with West Coast when you go over there. The crowd really gets into it and it's a hard venue to play at.

"They're the most in-form team in the competition. They're playing some really good footy.

"In saying that, we did beat them earlier in the year. Obviously it was in Ballarat. This week's going to be much different conditions.

"We know they're going to be a massive challenge but we're up for it."

Johannisen noted the Lions had few weaknesses, with Brownlow Medal frontrunner Lachie Neale firing in the midfield and damaging talls at both ends of the ground.

He said Zaine Cordy was likely to swing back to defence to replace Dale Morris, whose career is likely over after he suffered another ACL injury.

That could open the door for key forward Josh Schache, who trained on Wednesday along with other potential inclusions Toby McLean and Matthew Suckling.

Nothing will come easy for the Bulldogs in a home stretch that also includes games against Essendon, GWS and Adelaide.

But Johannisen, a key player in the Bulldogs' 2016 premiership, feels they're as well-placed to challenge as any contender.

"The morale is right up there," he said.

"It's as good as it's felt since I've been here. We've just got to keep growing that.

"The way we move the ball is unpredictable and very damaging. If we do make it to finals, it could cause teams some havoc."