Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 21, Vs Essendon

Can't see how we persist with Cordy in the back line - allowing that mark to Rayner was inexcusable.

He can be a real nuisance up the other end - I'd prefer both Youngs in for the tall / next tall backman roles.

A Wood v Stringer mactchup wold be reallll interesting.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine backline with all of Trengove, Wood and Lewis Young. Maybe throw Naughton back for a bit as a loose man and we’ll have a Clanger bonanza

Post Thanks / Like

Wood hasn't had a great year and has been average but not below par. He is a quality person and as premiership captain deserves more respect and support than the crap he gets from some on here. His effectiveness has been substantially diluted by us not having 2 quality KPD's. Trengove and Cordy are not the answers and never have been. Cordy is better suited forward where he provides some aggression. Williams has shown some good ability, as has Lewis Young. The critics of Williams and Young are far too harsh imo. Give these kids an extended run at it then make your call.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not suggesting he is dropped as he had two good weeks and I think we need this year to assess his overall value but I thought Bailey Dale was very disappointing yesterday. Players like him tend to drift out in the red-hot battles and it wasn't exactly silver service into the forward line, but I'm hoping to see him do more to create opportunities in a fierce contest like yesterday's.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I am not suggesting he is dropped as he had two good weeks and I think we need this year to assess his overall value but I thought Bailey Dale was very disappointing yesterday. Players like him tend to drift out in the red-hot battles and it wasn't exactly silver service into the forward line, but I'm hoping to see him do more to create opportunities in a fierce contest like yesterday's.
    Yep, he failed to convert a few of his half chances and couldn't win a contest when the odds weren't stacked in his favour either.

It still looks like it needs to all go right for Bailey to be effective and whilst his last 2 weeks showed an ability to hit the scoreboard on reflection he was probably flattered.

I still have my doubts to whether he will be a consistent performer for us.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep, he failed to convert a few of his half chances and couldn't win a contest when the odds weren't stacked in his favour either.

It still looks like it needs to all go right for Bailey to be effective and whilst his last 2 weeks showed an ability to hit the scoreboard on reflection he was probably flattered.

It's ironic for me, but I feel a little like he's the latest version of Jarrad Grant. Just when I'm about to give up, they bob up and do enough to get another contract. His lack of forward pressure, but ability to kick some goals is not completely unlike Dan Menzel. Geelong valued pressure over goals. In a purely dispassionate way, holding Grant cost us a trade currency and was ultimately delisted. I read that the club will sign Dale shortly, but I can't shake this Jarrad Grant feeling about him. I hope this feeling is wrong though, as we all want our players to succeed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Can't see how we persist with Cordy in the back line - allowing that mark to Rayner was inexcusable.

He can be a real nuisance up the other end - I'd prefer both Youngs in for the tall / next tall backman roles.

A Wood v Stringer mactchup wold be reallll interesting.
    That would be a perfect match up in my opinion
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That would be a perfect match up in my opinion
    Wood played on him last year and beat him comprehensively I think.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you. Sucked me in with two good matches, but yesterday he was woeful
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we should start calling him 'the Orchid'.

He'd be a more consistent performer with smarter service and the right structure/personnel around him rather than the merry-go-round set up we have no choice but to run with. We really do ask a lot of our forwards.

He's a clever 2-3 goal per game candidate I think if we get our collective shit together, but he's never going to be a drag you over the line difference maker though. Every team needs some cream.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Under consideration for inclusion

Jordan Sweet
    The best ruckman Footscray has seen since Scott Wynd. Super tap work and has been the dominant ruck in nearly every game. He has improved right throughout the year. His work in general play is also very good taking several marks around the ground. Time for his AFL debut.

Gowers
    Has been playing OK in the centre for Footscray. Has been throwing his weight around a bit, as he normally does. He has the possibility to lose us a game through giving away a stupid free kick. I think that he enjoys hurting people.
    That Robinson should be reported for his charge on Dunkley. Obviously he won't be so we have to get revenge. Gowers is the guy to put the wind up the opposition, tell him to charge the body, but don't let him into their forward line.

Lewis Young
    Should have been in the team months ago. Great marking, spoiling and accurate and long kicking. Better than Cordy, Williams and Trengove. Obvious choice.

Baku Khamis
    Has steadily improved throughout the year. Might get a go at AFL. Least he sticks to his man.

Bailey Williams
    Against Frankston I reckon he handed them about 4 goals on a platter. Something wrong with him. Nowhere near his best.

Rhylee West
    Obvious quality player who will play 200+ games for us.

R Smith, Jong, Webb
    Have had their go at AFL. Are no good. Some shouldn't have got that far.

Lynch
    Starting to improve and get back his form. Why did he go backwards??

Hayes
    Consistent performer, VFL is his forte. Might be an AFL replacement player for a week or so due to injury. Can do some AFL work.

Vandermeer
    Shows promise but not yet ready.

Porter
    Might have to resign himself to the fact that he will never get a game at AFL level.

Cavarra
    Has talent and might get an AFL game. If he can stay injury-free.

Lachie Young
    Never deserved an AFL game based on his VFL performance and that is still true. Too much fumbling for my like. May still make it though, confidence is a marvellous thing.

Fletcher Roberts
    VFL is just his cup of tea. NO AFL ever again please.

Under the Hammer and Injury cloud

Dunkley
    Robinson charged and hit him full on. Right at the man not the ball. Revenge required.

Crozier
    Injured ankle in marking contest.

Cordy
    Ball watches. Do the coaches not tell him to stop watching where the ball is going and rather watch where his man is going. That's where the ball will end up. Simple as pie. Been a problem for years and not going away. We have a poor backline. Some thing drastic has to be done with Cordy; or his backline coach, or both of them.

Trengove
    He tries hard but has no class. In the VFL he would be good. Loses too many contests.

McLean
    Not getting it enough. But may improve.

There are problems with Suckling, Wood, Richards and JJ not getting enough of the ball but there are no likely replacements.

My Changes
    Out:
    Trengove
    McLean

In:
    Le Young
    West

Gia is looking a better coach than Bev at the moment.

13. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards has had a really poor year, he's tempting to play given our lack of speed but really struggles with the pace of the game when in possession. He is a player who would benefit from another few weeks in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Richards has had a really poor year, he's tempting to play given our lack of speed but really struggles with the pace of the game when in possession. He is a player who would benefit from another few weeks in the VFL.
    Who comes in? West?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who comes in? West?
    100%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Sure his output is down, but I’d be interested to see some more off screen footage of his offensive and defensive running.

His speed is extremely important to a team that is not overly blessed with it and I wonder if he is running with players that would otherwise burn us (and whether he is running into positions that open up space for others when we have it).

Someone on here who has watched him closely live a lot might be able to answer these questions. But I suspect he must be doing something that is not necessarily obvious.

I worried the week we dropped Richards and B Smith leading into the Saints game (especially as they are known for their speed).