Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 21, Vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Hayes is one of those players who is a star at VFL level but not good enough at AFL level. He will get BOG every week in the VFL but found out in the top line.
    What’s he played - 5 games?

He had a taste, has gone back to the vfl with stuff to work on...players can develop and improve (you could even say that’s the whole idea). A hard working kid who played his way onto the list through our vfl side at the end of last year...I don’t get all the negativity...we should be celebrating his success not dragging him down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

He had a taste, has gone back to the vfl with stuff to work on...players can develop and improve (you could even say that’s the whole idea). A hard working kid who played his way onto the list through our vfl side at the end of last year...I don’t get all the negativity...we should be celebrating his success not dragging him down.
    This.

I remember on the 'Other Site' many years ago, a poster who I still respect (He doesn't post anymore) was showing Matthew Boyd the door alongside Patrick Wiggins at the end of 2003.

I'm not for a moment suggesting Hayes is going to turn into Matthew Boyd, but heavens above, lets not stamp his papers after 5 top-level games, particularly if he's earned another chance through his VFL work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    This.

I remember on the 'Other Site' many years ago, a poster who I still respect (He doesn't post anymore) was showing Matthew Boyd the door alongside Patrick Wiggins at the end of 2003.

I'm not for a moment suggesting Hayes is going to turn into Matthew Boyd, but heavens above, lets not stamp his papers after 5 top-level games, particularly if he's earned another chance through his VFL work.
    Only two questions you need to ask about a new Dog.

Does he have a pedigree?
    Is he cute?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Totally agree. Just look at Sam Reid (the GWS variety) who was nothing more than a roommate for Ward when GWS took him.

Was delisted and found his way back onto the list based on NEAFL form (which, no offence to NEAFL, but is less impressive than good VFL form). Has hardly missed a game since (despite the consistent stream of talent GWS have been able to bring in).

Didn’t there used to be some kind of 20 game rule on here?

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see how he plays. I'm not convinced though. It's elimination final time and I'm not one for dicking around with selections. Would prefer West or Lew Young but with Libba going out understand we need another small.

Who plays on Stringer?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Hayes is one of those players who is a star at VFL level but not good enough at AFL level. He will get BOG every week in the VFL but found out in the top line.
    Today might answer that view but I do think he has improved and I was a harsh critic of his long spell in the seniors earlier in the year

It's will be interesting to see if we have a specific role for him this week

The thing I don't understand from a lot of our supporters is that for years we wanted our own VFL side so we could develop players the right way but we now seem to want to ignore the form of the players at Footscray and turn it a wish list of just selecting the young players

Hayes has earned his chance for a recall, I wish him well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Who plays on Stringer?
    Either Wood or Crozier
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a good feeling about getting hold of the Dons tonight. Dogs on a Saturday night will not let us down.

Wood goes to Stringer and whispers sweet little nothings in his ear all night. English to keep pushing guesses and could have a huge day out.

The midfield will kill them in tight and on the outside Would get us back on the bike fir another final crack at the crows next week.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Today might answer that view but I do think he has improved and I was a harsh critic of his long spell in the seniors earlier in the year

It's will be interesting to see if we have a specific role for him this week

The thing I don't understand from a lot of our supporters is that for years we wanted our own VFL side so we could develop players the right way but we now seem to want to ignore the form of the players at Footscray and turn it a wish list of just selecting the young players

Hayes has earned his chance for a recall, I wish him well
    I agree he's earned his spot but as far as I'm concerned he is just one of those players who finds the jump to the big time a bit too much. A Brodie Moles / Brett Goodes type. I'm all for playing West in front of him surely he comes back in after his debut? I mean what are we doing? Hoping we have a role in mind and a specific purpose for Hayes and I hope he plays well. We need him to.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree he's earned his spot but as far as I'm concerned he is just one of those players who finds the jump to the big time a bit too much. A Brodie Moles / Brett Goodes type. I'm all for playing West in front of him surely he comes back in after his debut? I mean what are we doing? Hoping we have a role in mind and a specific purpose for Hayes and I hope he plays well.
    Can we really make a decisive call on Hayes in his first season as a professional footballer? Perhaps, but he's coming into the side tonight with better form than we he was originally selected earlier in the year.
    I admit he is a 50/50 call but hopefully good form means something and for what it's worth I'd have Williams in front of him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can we really make a decisive call on Hayes in his first season as a professional footballer? Perhaps, but he's coming into the side tonight with better form than we he was originally selected earlier in the year.
    I admit he is a 50/50 call but hopefully good form means something and for what it's worth I'd have Williams in front of him
    Fair enough if you're going on rewarding form at Footscray though Hayes has to play before Williams. Feeling Hayes is going to get a run with role. Merrett? We actually need a good defensive mid with Wallis / Libba out Bont more outside and JMac also seemingly playing more attacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough if you're going on rewarding form at Footscray though Hayes has to play before Williams. Feeling Hayes is going to get a run with role. Merrett? We actually need a good defensive mid with Wallis / Libba out Bont more outside and JMac also seemingly playing more attacking.
    I don't think he is the type that could run with Merrett and curb him but perhaps it's a role to work on McGrath