Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 21, Vs Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wood had 12 today and has averaged about that all year and is regarded as good enough. I'm not sure stats matter that much with some of the selections
    Good points. Captains simply don't hand over the ball like he is doing at the moment. It's demorsalizing.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Cordy goes out , Lewis Young comes in, as should have happened this week.
    West comes in for Dickson
    Duryea for Suckling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Good points. Captains simply don't hand over the ball like he is doing at the moment. It's demorsalizing.
    No. Captains tell the commentators while walking off at half time they need to address their ball use and stop turning it over. Them for the next half continue poor ball use and turn it over some more. Do as I say, not as I do. While the real leader Bontempelli tries to will his team over the line by doing everything while, despite missing out on about 5 'half frees' by the umps. If the internal discussion to make Bonts captain next year (for life) lasts more than 3 seconds I will spew.

And I want the club to make an application to the AFEL umpiring department for Bonts to be categorised 'Dangerfield/Selwood'. So he gets all the obvious frees, plus a few good bloke ones too. It's long overdue by us to get this paperwork in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes N/A, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So you think Williams and Wood play the same role? I think they should, but Wood's role is way different having to play on taller players and constantly go the punch (no stat for that).

Wood has been good and bad this year, not consistent, but he has had to play a lot deeper than previous years and I think it really doesn't suit him.
    I dont think it has anything to do with the role he has been playing. He's possession count has been declining now for a few years and the 666 rule has reduced his ability to zone off and that was his strength. His inability to adapt and play other roles has exposed the flaws with his skills and ball getting ability.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I dont think it has anything to do with the role he has been playing. He's possession count has been declining now for a few years and the 666 rule has reduced his ability to zone off and that was his strength. His inability to adapt and play other roles has exposed the flaws with his skills and ball getting ability.
    He called out his change in roles recently and admitted it's taken some time to adapt, you can't say a change in role won't affect his output negatively or positively, of course it would. He'd actually played better, but has taken a step backwards this week.

Once again, we need to understand whether things can be switched around to get the best out of him by bringing in other players to support or to allow him to move back into the role he is more suited to - which has been taken somewhat by Crozier these past 18 months, so perhaps with that in mind it might eventuate anyway given Crozier might be injured.

Saying he's not performing to the standard required is fine, but calling for him to be omitted leaves us open to putting an even worse solution in place whilst also losing our captain. He's not perfect but he has the respect and support of the group as far as I can tell so with an omission we lose a bit more than a player not playing to his highest capacity.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No. Captains tell the commentators while walking off at half time they need to address their ball use and stop turning it over. Them for the next half continue poor ball use and turn it over some more. Do as I say, not as I do. While the real leader Bontempelli tries to will his team over the line by doing everything while, despite missing out on about 5 'half frees' by the umps. If the internal discussion to make Bonts captain next year (for life) lasts more than 3 seconds I will spew.

And I want the club to make an application to the AFEL umpiring department for Bonts to be categorised 'Dangerfield/Selwood'. So he gets all the obvious frees, plus a few good bloke ones too. It's long overdue by us to get this paperwork in.
    I know it's not your intent BT but it's a tad disrespectful to Wood to call Bont the real leader, Easton captained us to a flag and plays with a lot of courage and intent irrespective of some limitations in his game that have been exacerbated by a change in role.

Also remember Bont missed a goal from five metres out which was inexcusable and it's not the first time he's fluffed easy chances this year - he lets us down regularly when he has an opportunity to kick goals! So as good as Bont is it's a sign that nobody's perfect, but I do agree with you the he gets scragged continuously but always seems to be pinged for holding the ball at the earliest opportunity. We have a few players that are treated poorly by the umpires and it's starting to get my goat a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I know it's not your intent BT but it's a tad disrespectful to Wood to call Bont the real leader, Easton captained us to a flag and plays with a lot of courage and intent irrespective of some limitations in his game that have been exacerbated by a change in role.

Also remember Bont also missed a goal from five metres out which was inexcusable (and it's not the first time he's fluffed easy chances this year - he lets us down regularly when he has an opportunity to kick goals)! So it's a sign that nobody's perfect, but I do agree with you the Bont gets scragged continuously but always seems to be pinged for holding the ball at the earliest opportunity. We have a few players like that and it's starting to get my goat a little.
    Perhaps one could infer that, but leadership and captaincy are two very different things in my view. Wood is the captain and does the role, but when things need to change up, Bonts & Macrae lead by example for the most part. Back in the day Sam Mitchell was Hawthorn captain, but Luke Hodge was the onfield leader. Hence why he got the captaincy and won a bunch of flags as captain. On this year, I can't say as a player that Wood has been the leader when things got willing. But he's captained the team. Bonts & Macrae this year to me demonstrate real leadership in action. To me it's a distinction with a difference.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps one could infer that, but leadership and captaincy are two very different things in my view. Wood is the captain and does the role, but when things need to change up, Bonts & Macrae lead by example for the most part. Back in the day Sam Mitchell was Hawthorn captain, but Luke Hodge was the onfield leader. Hence why he got the captaincy and won a bunch of flags as captain. On this year, I can't say as a player that Wood has been the leader when things got willing. But he's captained the team. Bonts & Macrae this year to me demonstrate real leadership in action. To me it's a distinction with a difference.
    You and I sparring it out late at night reminds me of days of yore BT! I guess the time difference between Australia and Vietnam and the fact the cricket is on is affording this opportunity.

I get what you're saying, but I think that each of Wood, Bont and Macrae have demonstrated some faults in performances this year that show they're not perfect and have clear things they need to work on. The latter two don't face the same high stakes situations Easton does and in my view their lapses aren't as easily recognised or exposed, but they are there.

Having said that the latter two are having wonderful years and should both be All Australian (FWIW I think Jacko will miss out), and while Easton leads with his courage, direction and team support he definitely needs to stop himself from being out-positioned in two minds of what to do, and tidy up his disposal.

Post Thanks / Like

You and I sparring it out late at night reminds me of days of yore BT! I guess the time difference between Australia and Vietnam and the fact the cricket is on is affording this opportunity.

I get what you're saying, but I think that each of Wood, Bont and Macrae have demonstrated some faults in performances this year that show they're not perfect and have clear things they need to work on. The latter two don't face the same high stakes situations Easton does and in my view their lapses aren't as easily recognised or exposed, but they are there.

Having said that the latter two are having wonderful years and should both be All Australian (FWIW I think Jacko will miss out), and while Easton leads with his courage, direction and team support he definitely needs to stop himself from being out-positioned in two minds of what to do, and tidy up his disposal.
    Good times, and I wasn't going sit up either. I do wonder if Wood hands the captaincy over to whomever, whether the extra time to focus on his own game will benefit him and the side. Jacko will miss out for a third year I agree, which is crazy considering he has the most 30+ disposal games across 2018-2019 and the 'selectors' spew stats as reasoning for selection. I'll be very interested to see how he goes in the B&F.

Post Thanks / Like

Good times, and I wasn't going sit up either. I do wonder if Wood hands the captaincy over to whomever, whether the extra time to focus on his own game will benefit him and the side. Jacko will miss out for a third year I agree, which is crazy considering he has the most 30+ disposal games across 2018-2019 and the 'selectors' spew stats as reasoning for selection. I'll be very interested to see how he goes in the B&F.
    Given the amount of coaches votes the Bont should probably get the B&F. Jacko to be stiff with second again, but there's no doubt a lot of the reasoning would be around him doing an over balance of his good work between the arcs and not enough in the forward arc - which is probably going to be the justification for leaving him out of the AA side.

I look at Neale as a good comparison to Jacko, here's their head to head for the year. Really even, with Neale being a bit tidier with the ball and getting more contested possessions, but what they don't account for is how good Jacko can be with his kicking when he is really on, but also how horrid it can look when he bites off too much:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

Neale is in everyone's calculations for the Brownlow, Jacko isn't. Brisbane are the buzz team of the year and that has something to do with it, but I can't help but feel Jacko is underrated.

Compare Bont to Neale and the stats again don't tell a solid story. Because Bont goes for so much with a lot of his disposal all the time and continually has team midfielders entirely focused on him his efficiency is down - but if you asked anyone they'd say he's by far the most damaging. Bont vs Neale:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=S

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He called out his change in roles recently and admitted it's taken some time to adapt, you can't say a change in role won't affect his output negatively or positively, of course it would. He'd actually played better, but has taken a step backwards this week.

Once again, we need to understand whether things can be switched around to get the best out of him by bringing in other players to support or to allow him to move back into the role he is more suited to - which has been taken somewhat by Crozier these past 18 months, so perhaps with that in mind it might eventuate anyway given Crozier might be injured.

Saying he's not performing to the standard required is fine, but calling for him to be omitted leaves us open to putting an even worse solution in place whilst also losing our captain. He's not perfect but he has the respect and support of the group as far as I can tell so with an omission we lose a bit more than a player not playing to his highest capacity.
    I know we can't drop him, I get that, but his ability to escape scrutiny both in his early years and in recent times is uncanny.
    When some players/defenders are said to be under performing and yet in many examples they have better skills and simply get the ball more than Wood it's more than a bit ironic to have their stats offered up as the reason to justify their omission.
    I also don't think his role has changed. There is a reason why he was tried up forward and I think the 666 rule this year has further reduce his one real strength of being the 3rd man in marking contests just enough to see another decline with his possession count.

I think if he loses the captaincy then he may not enjoy the automatic selection process for next season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So you think Williams and Wood play the same role? I think they should, but Wood's role is way different having to play on taller players and constantly go the punch (no stat for that).

Wood has been good and bad this year, not consistent, but he has had to play a lot deeper than previous years and I think it really doesn't suit him.
    Totally understand what you are saying about Wood in regards to the punch and how that stat doesn't count but the problem is he is not even getting to contests to kill the ball like he used to. He has also lost the ability to read the play and take the intercept mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the right thing and stand down as Captain and hand over to the Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood was having a pretty good month and played through some sort of knock in this game. The turnover at the end of the second quarter was awful but the others in the back 6 were far more disappointing across the whole day. There’s no way he should be dropped, and need him this week in particular to blanket Stringer.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wood was having a pretty good month and played through some sort of knock in this game. The turnover at the end of the second quarter was awful but the others in the back 6 were far more disappointing across the whole day. There’s no way he should be dropped, and need him this week in particular to blanket Stringer.
    Yeah, Wood wasn't close to our biggest issue in defence yesterday. Cordy getting out-marked one on one multiple times, then adjusting and hanging back leading to easy leading marks was much more damaging. Suckling did nothing right in terms of defending or attacking, Trengove just scrags and hopes to get away with it.

We have the worst defensive personnel of any top 12 team, by far. That's why I'm not convinced about Naughton up forward. Our defense is soooooo bad, but then if you take Naughton away from the forward line, it becomes just another wasteland.

Thank god for our midfield, our list is a bit of a mess.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    How do we feel about Toby's chances of keeping his spot?

He was a passenger today with one deplorable effort in particular that helped cost us.

Blokes bugger up but he just seems to be treading water at the moment. Certainly not nearing anything close to what he can do, nor what we particularly need with a season on the line. We're a bigger handful with him at his wily best.

I'm guessing we'll back him against the filth but you wonder if Westy comes back into the frame at his expense.
    That would be one of my changes. West in. Dickson out. Still thinking about others.