Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood expecting captaincy discussion at end of season

link

Easton Wood is yet to be involved in a discussion about a succession plan for the Western Bulldogs captaincy but expects a discussion to take place at the end of the season.

Wood, who turns 30 in September, famously led the Dogs to the 2016 premiership, standing in as captain after Bob Murphy’s season-ending injury.

Murphy returned to the leadership in 2017 but retired at the end of that season, after which Wood was appointed skipper in a full-time capacity.

Wood has played all 17 games this year, leaving him on track to play every match in a campaign for the first time since he was drafted in 2007.

He remains in reasonable form, earning two AFL Coaches’ Association votes in Sunday’s loss to St Kilda, and is hopeful of playing for several more seasons.

Dogs star Marcus Bontempelli, 23, who sits second on the AFLCA champion player leaderboard, is vice-captain and has long loomed as Wood’s likely successor.

Wood said he loved the captaincy but envisaged a potential changing of the guard would be talked about at Whitten Oval later in the year.

“There hasn’t been any talk about succession planning but I’ve got no doubt we’ll have that conversation at the end of the year,” Wood told The Age on Wednesday.

“But I love the captaincy. It brings with it its challenges, but it’s an incredibly privileged role to have and the honour’s not lost on me.

“I’ve really enjoyed and learnt so much through my time being captain so far, so if I’m the right man for the job I’ll happily keep going, but it’s not something you can do forever.”

Wood said he’d been challenged by having to play regularly as a deep defender early this season but added that the inclusion of Jackson Trengove - who has played the past 12 games for the side - had made life easier.

“It’s been partly different at different times,” Wood said.

“We’ve had some injuries to our taller boys and obviously with Aaron Naughton swinging forward at the start of the year, earlier in the year I was probably playing a bit deeper than I was probably normally used to. But there’s never a year without its challenges. But I feel like I’ve adapted to that.

“What I’ve been really happy with is I’ve been fit.”

While the defeat to the Saints was a major blow to the Dogs’ finals chances, Wood spoke positively of the way his side had performed since the mid-season bye, while lamenting the inconsistency that has plagued the Dogs - who have beaten premiership fancies Geelong, Brisbane and Richmond this year but also lost to lowly Carlton, Gold Coast and the Saints.

“I’ve been really pleased with, particularly when we came back after the bye, what we’ve been able to do. I feel like we’ve really gelled and played some really strong football, and really connected as a group, which has been really, really pleasing,” Wood said.

“One thing that I think has been fantastic as well is I think we’ve had 10 or so boys re-sign to long-term deals, and obviously signing the coach [Luke Beveride] last week as well was fantastic. So it’s just a really good feeling amongst the group.”

And despite being a game and percentage outside the top eight, Wood was adamant that a return to the finals remained a realistic goal.

“Absolutely. Theres’s no game that we go into that we think we can’t win. We really feel if we bring our best we’ll beat anyone. It’s just the striving to make sure we can bring that every week. That’s our challenge, that’s everybody’s challenge.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wood expecting captaincy discussion at end of season

Writing on the wall, The Bont captain.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

“I’ve been really pleased with, particularly when we came back after the bye, what we’ve been able to do. I feel like we’ve really gelled and played some really strong football, and really connected as a group, which has been really, really pleasing,” Wood said.

No, really.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Really?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dunks gets a look in on this though Marcus is a way ahead of him in front of the camera.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dunks gets a look in on this though Marcus is a way ahead of him in front of the camera.
    Was about to make a comment about Dunkers being a fair bit younger than Bont but it’s currently a 22 year old vs a 23 year old. Bont a bit younger and Dunks a bit older than I realised

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love when Bont is earnestly talking about 'our younger players' when he is such a baby himself. (Albeit a very mature, level-headed leader baby.)

Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood becomes only our second Premiership Captain which is a tremendous honour. Unfortunately his form has dropped off which isn’t ideal for a skipper. Appointing Bont should ensure him becoming a long term leader providing the Club can negotiate a contract that suits both parties

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I heard Easton in a interview on the captaincy and I have a gut feeling Bont will be captain next year.
    Following on from Hotdog60's post in another thread, I think he will step down as captain

Post Thanks / Like

I thank him greatly for doing the job, and I hope with him just focussing on his own game that he can re-discover his 15-16 form. And I'm thrilled at what Marcus can do as captain. I think he will rise his game again and further bind him to the club when contract negotiations start sometime down the road.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Easton Wood remains captain at least for 2020. He is one of the finest captain's in the league.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Wood has been an excellent captain and has plenty to offer in the role. It will be interesting if things go to plan, we'll have a structurally different defence next year and a lot of work will need to go into the defence gelling as a unit and this will require intense leadership.

Given that I think it's a good opportunity to hand over to the Bont, he's more than ready and his game is at a level where I think having him lead the side will be a compliment to it. Easton can keep the troops in the back half aligned and on track.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that Easton was arguably our best in our one and only final showing outstanding leadership. Should there be a change? 50/50 for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I like the fact that Easton was arguably our best in our one and only final showing outstanding leadership. Should there be a change? 50/50 for me.
    There were a lot of players down on effort that day, was he actually good or did it just look a bit better because so many others were down on effort?

I thought he performed well in that game but he's clearly been trending down over the last 3 seasons year on year
    If a change of roles and responsibility helps him reverse that trend in 2020 then great.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There were a lot of players down on effort that day, was he actually good or did it just look a bit better because so many others were down on effort?

I thought he performed well in that game but he's clearly been trending down over the last 3 seasons year on year
    If a change of roles and responsibility helps him reverse that trend in 2020 then great.
    That is a question that will be only answered in hindsight.