Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  71
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Fremantle R19 2019

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    At the game English seemed to break even.

How did other posters see his game?
    Thought he did quite well. Been very happy with his progress this year. It has been challenging at times for him but he looks to be a great prospect for us in the coming years in that ruck position.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He was great around the ground but our mids saved his arse at the stoppages with a brilliant display of sharking opposition hitouts.
    Just keep pushing that barrow.

3. Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I thought he did well against great odds. Bevo said he loved his game.
    I thought he was better around the ground than the Freo rucks, had a couple of nice hitouts although still lost them easily.

I can see the method in the madness. What Freo gained by 1-2 clean clearances from ruckwork they lost around the ground with English extremely good at ground level as well as being a marking threat.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've told this story a few times but I will briefly tell it again. Back in the late '70s I was at the Western Oval watching training and kicking the footy with my mates on the terraces in front of the Gent stand. Charlie Sutton and Ted Whitten were standing roughly 20-30 metres away from us both staring intently at the contents of a folder Teddy was holding.

Anyway the ball goes flying over my head and bounces toward the two of them so cheeky me yells out "excuse me mister but can we have our ball back please?" Neither of them looked up but Teddy moved his foot almost imperceptibly and flicked the ball with his toe end of his shoe and the bloody thing flew at me like a tracer bullet. It was going so fast that it knocked me off my feet and as I got up they were both having a bit of a giggle and I heard Charlie say to Ted "oh EJ, you've still got it old son".
    Amazing story. Sounds like the toe poke was as good as Naughton's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    What makes me really angry at the footy gods is that Moz showed before he went down was that he looked no closer to retirement in terms of how he was playing than he did when he was 26!
    In fact his return , allowed us the ability to move Cordy up forward to negate their best intercepter in Ryan. That's not a guy who is hanging on for grim life at the end of a career. That's someone who is still a valuable and integral perforner.
    This could be the wine talking..but I say if he wants to go through the rehab, then let sentimentality prevail; give him another year.

I reckon Moz would keep going til he's 40, and his conditioning and attitude would allow that.
    I know it's not reality......i just really want him to go out on his terms and I fear we'll never see the likes of a Moz in my lifetime and that's depressing
    Moz's treatment was non surgical, just resting and physio, so perhaps this time with traditional surgery he could make it back seberal rounds before next years finals.
    Yes yet Moz like Bob, Brad, Chris, Doug and Ted must retire from the arena just as Aaron, BS and Rhyllee emerge.

Post Thanks / Like

7 Straight games with 30 plus disposals.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought he was better around the ground than the Freo rucks, had a couple of nice hitouts although still lost them easily.

I can see the method in the madness. What Freo gained by 1-2 clean clearances from ruckwork they lost around the ground with English extremely good at ground level as well as being a marking threat.
    I was sitting on the fence on the wing and I saw a lot more than 2 clean clearances. At least a dozen.

I thought it was English’ best ruck game in that he used his agility better but he was beaten in that department. I thought he showed great stamina too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Better Mark than Nick. Did you have a chat?
    No, but there was a hilarious story. Two other guys got on, both with some intellectual disabilities (one of them might have been autistic I think). One of them said in a loud voice "I need the Swans v Cats score". I was about to get my phone out to give it to him, when he walked straight past me and asked Stevo!. He duly obliged with the point score, and the guy said "Not enough. I need the exact scores, goals and behinds!"

Stevo then did as he was asked. The guy went on "Who has been important for both sides. I must know this"... Stevo gives him the bests up to that point, which seemed to satisfy him. Stevo and the guy with him got off at Burnley, the stats guy a few stops later. . I just wanted to know the inside scoop on Moz' injury (and maybe his opinion of BlackSoul ) God it was funny, a major sports journo relegated to providing match updates 😅
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

11. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    No, but there was a hilarious story. Two other guys got on, both with some intellectual disabilities (one of them might have been autistic I think). One of them said in a loud voice "I need the Swans v Cats score". I was about to get my phone out to give it to him, when he walked straight past me and asked Stevo!. He duly obliged with the point score, and the guy said "Not enough. I need the exact scores, goals and behinds!"

Stevo then did as he was asked. The guy went on "Who has been important for both sides. I must know this"... Stevo gives him the bests up to that point, which seemed to satisfy him. Stevo and the guy with him got off at Burnley, the stats guy a few stops later. . I just wanted to know the inside scoop on Moz' injury (and maybe his opinion of BlackSoul ) God it was funny, a major sports journo relegated to providing match updates ��
    Haha I bet the guy didn't know who was supplying him. Considering Mark is a Bulldog you deserved to be the one having a chat and getting the inside info for yourself and WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Haha I bet the guy didn't know who was supplying him. Considering Mark is a Bulldog you deserved to be the one having a chat and getting the inside info for yourself and WOOF.
    Just got a reply from him on Twitter. He said it was "bizarre" and that he headed to the Rising Sun to discuss it further 😂
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at Freo's prime movers - people like Mundy, Walters, Hill and Ballantyne, you would have to say that they were pretty much nullified throughout. So big shout out to our team defence and the hard running of players like Richards, Hunter, JJ, Duryea, Crozier, etc. Dicko was back there too at times and Caleb Daniel was really good with the ball. He was the generalissimo down back.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

COACHES VOTES:

WESTERN BULLDOGS v FREMANTLE
    9 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    9 Jack Macrae (WB)
    3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
    3 Jason Joahannisen (WB)
    3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
    2 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
    1 Bailey Dale (WB)

LEADERBOARD
    84 Tim Kelly
    79 Marcus Bontempelli
    78 Patrick Cripps
    73 Lachie Neale
    67 Travis Boak
    65 Ben Cunnington
    65 Nat Fyfe
    62 Patrick Dangerfield
    62 Brodie Grundy
    62 Luke Shuey
    58 Max Gawn
    52 Elliot Yeo
    51 Brad Crouch
    51 Josh Dunkley
    51 Tim Taranto
    51 Dayne Zorko
    50 Jack Macrae
    48 Dustin Martin
    47 Jeremy Cameron
    46 Scott Pendlebury

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonti is creeping up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Bonti is creeping up there.
    If he maintains the late season form, I think it is between Bont and Cripps.

Bont is so influential.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    If he maintains the late season form, I think it is between Bont and Cripps.

Bont is so influential.
    For the brownlow its a matter for the umps, who do they notice. Last year Bont got 9, Cripps got 20, Macrae got 14 and Kelly 13.