Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recent Moneyball Trading

Since 2015 (4 trading periods):

Suckling - Free Agent
    Cloke - Pick 76 (which was not going to be used, so effectivly a Free Agent)
    Crozier & future 4th - 40 & 82 (which was not going to be used), so effectivly Crozier & future 4th rounder for pick 40
    Trengove - Free Agent
    Schache - Picks 25 and 40
    Lloyd - Pick 64 (which was not going to be used, so effectivly a Free Agent)
    Duryea - Likely pick 62

Ins: Suckling, Cloke, Crozier & Future 4th, Trengove, Schache, Lloyd, Duryea
    Outs: (Picks 82*, 76*, 64*) Picks 62, 40, 40 & 25 (* picks not going to be used by us)

All bar Cloke (so 6 players) have played many to all games this year. I know the footy media generally ignores the good things we do, but the last four years our list management team have identified a lot of very capable players for next to nothing. That's as a good a job as any club in the last four years I'd imagine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Sedat, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent Moneyball Trading

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Suckling - Free Agent
    Crozier & future 4th - 40 & 82 (which was not going to be used), so effectivly Crozier & future 4th rounder for pick 40
    Trengove - Free Agent
    Duryea - Likely pick 62

Outs: (Picks 82*, 76*, 64*) Picks 62, 40, 40 & 25 (* picks not going to be used by us)

All bar Cloke (so 6 players) have played many to all games this year. I know the footy media generally ignores the good things we do, but the last four years our list management team have identified a lot of very capable players for next to nothing. That's as a good a job as any club in the last four years I'd imagine.
    Great post BT and I agree with you 100%. We have done extremely well choosing these players without giving much away.

4. Likes Eastdog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep been an extremely effective way of building the list.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Should we continue on this path, or throw some big dollars at an A grader.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We do have the money, so yes. But it needs to be someone who is really going to bring a point of difference.
    I wouldn't be chasing big bodied midfielders.

An A grade small forward and/or an A grade Key defender would be on my shopping list.

9. Likes bornadog, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we’ve built a very good foundation with these guys and our good drafting. Now it’s time build up with lots of money and picks. If we can get 2-4 talented experienced players added with the growth of young players, then finals next year is on the cards.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Suckling - Free Agent
    Trengove - Free Agent
    Duryea - Likely pick 62

We have done a very good job. Been some very good acquisitions.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd a great moneyball.
    Duryea under rated.
    The best move they made, managers did a great job on both sides.
    Bring back the biff

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling - Free Agent
    Trengove - Free Agent
    Duryea - Likely pick 62

The next closest team to us over this period using the money ball style trading strategy happened to play in the Grand Final last year, Collingwood. Although they've also thrown three first rounders in the period at Treloar & Beams.

Ins: Aish, Mayne, Wells, Roughead, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn (virtually free), Howe (player trade), Sam Murray (swaps)
    Outs: Pick 75, Future Pick 33, Future Pick 29, Pick 26, player trade, swaps

I think both clubs have done well. Being completely one eyed, I'd say we are the best in the business at finding good talent for little outlay.

Post Thanks / Like

The next closest team to us over this period using the money ball style trading strategy happened to play in the Grand Final last year, Collingwood. Although they've also thrown three first rounders in the period at Treloar & Beams.

Ins: Aish, Mayne, Wells, Roughead, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn (virtually free), Howe (player trade), Sam Murray (swaps)
    Outs: Pick 75, Future Pick 33, Future Pick 29, Pick 26, player trade, swaps

I think both clubs have done well. Being completely one eyed, I'd say we are the best in the business at finding good talent for little outlay.
    Be interesting to know who the worst team is , at a glance I would say Essendon, spent a lot and not a good return yet.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Be interesting to know who the worst team is , at a glance I would say Essendon, spent a lot and not a good return yet.
    Yep. They keep recruiting players by name and not need too. Stringer looks great on the odd occasion that the whole "grab the ball and bomb it out of the centre square' thing comes off but they still haven't got the players with leg speed they need. It's great that they win the trade period every year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd a great moneyball.
    Duryea under rated.
    The best move they made, managers did a great job on both sides.
    Out of the two Lloyd has been better but I have enjoyed Duryea games recently. He has been quite good.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Crozier has had a better year than all of them. Has become twice the player he was at Freo.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

19. Likes strebla, N/A, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As is often the case, probably Carlton. Not many fringe players go to Carlton for cheap and get better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    As is often the case, probably Carlton. Not many fringe players go to Carlton for cheap and get better
    I think you're right. Just off the top of my head: Tutt, Lobbe, Palmer, Jaksch, a heap of ex GWS players.