Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie List - Rookie Listing Delistees

Since the inception of the rookie list we have made out like bandits. Morris, Boyd, Dahl, JJ etc. Thousands of games. There's no denying we've done exceptionally well. Going through the drafts this morning I've also looked at the strategy of rookie listing delisted players. This is our list of such players:

Adam Contessa
    Brad Fuller
    Michael West
    Mitch Hahn
    Daniel Pearce
    Brett Goodes
    Josh Prudden
    Roarke Smith

Without applying judgements like right or wrong, our club's history seems to indicate this type of use of this list doesn't end with us doing really well for the investment we make. I can see the different arguments for the decision (culture, depth, experience, more time to overcome injuries etc), but I think now after 20 years or so, any decision to give a delistee a rookie spot must mean the club believes the player can overcome our history of not having done it successfully yet.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie List - Rookie Listing Delistees

I guess by nature the guy getting the rookie list spot if your 38th+ player on your list so is already only a marginal chance to play a lot of football.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I guess by nature the guy getting the rookie list spot if your 38th+ player on your list so is already only a marginal chance to play a lot of football.
    True. As in the OP, there's many different reasons to do it. But the natural counter argument is if this strategy doesn't work (yet), then you miss a shot at recruiting a Boyd, Morris, JJ etc.

I don't advocate a hard and fast rule, but going through the drafts this morning really hit home our successes and then this list/topic. I think it's important, if not only interesting, to understand our successes and our areas where our club history demonstrates less than optimal outcomes. The reason/s to do it, knowing the history, would need to be more than just hoping they'll be ok and buck the trend.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If Morris is going to be out for a year, meaning not available till round say 15/16, and he wants to play on, do we keep him on the senior list or drop him to rookie list. Sorry Moz, no disrespect.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Morris is going to be out for a year, meaning not available till round say 15/16, and he wants to play on, do we keep him on the senior list or drop him to rookie list. Sorry Moz, no disrespect.
    Club call. If we 100% want him to play on, leave him on the primary list. If we are prepared for another club to take a gamble on him, delist him and then select him in the rookie draft at around pick 10.

Or let him retire this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Club call. If we 100% want him to play on, leave him on the primary list. If we are prepared for another club to take a gamble on him, delist him and then select him in the rookie draft at around pick 10.

Or let him retire this year.
    Didn’t he just sign on for another year ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Didn’t he just sign on for another year ?
    No he hasn't. Also confirmed he is having the operation for his ACL, so out for at least a year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.