Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Congratulations Shane Mcinerney-500 games

This weekend Shane Mcinerney umpires his 500th game of AFL footy. I don't usually make a big fuss about the umps but 500 games is an unbelievable achievement.

So well done on 500 games Shane. You flog.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes bornadog, Hotdog60, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: congratulations Shane Mcinerney-500 games

Tough job with no love. Great achievement.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: congratulations Shane Mcinerney-500 games

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This weekend Shane Mcinerney umpires his 500th game of AFL footy. I don't usually make a big fuss about the umps but 500 games is an unbelievable achievement.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...ecord/11284038

This was in the lead up to his record breaking game, which happened to be our game against Geelong.

In the article he estimates he's covered around 7500 kilometres during his career.

Australian football is not just demanding on the players, the umpires have to be able to keep up with the action as well.

When you consider that this is Shane's 26th year as an AFL umpire, that is astounding durability.

EDIT: Just read the article through to the end, and it mentions his 'biggest call' being in the 2009 semi-final between Collingwood and Adelaide.

I remember it well. He pinged Ben Rutten for a hold on Jack Anthony, who ended up kicking the winning goal.

The best part of it was the Adelaide supporters going on about being robbed, with the only problem being Shane got it 100% right. It was as clear a hold as you'll ever see. Even the MMM commentators were saying what a good decision it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Congratulations Shane Mcinerney-500 games

I'm still raw with the 2009 pre-lim. Plus there's an argument of quality of games umpired vs number of games umpired. In 24 years he's umpired only 2 grand finals, which were years a part, and the last one was 12 years ago in 2007. I guess that shocker in the 2009 prelim cost him a grand final too. But you can't deny 500 games is a big number.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Rot in hell you fluorescent rabbit.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm still raw with the 2009 pre-lim. Plus there's an argument of quality of games umpired vs number of games umpired. In 24 years he's umpired only 2 grand finals, which were years a part, and the last one was 12 years ago in 2007. I guess that shocker in the 2009 prelim cost him a grand final too. But you can't deny 500 games is a big number.
    I'm going to be blunt here, I'm dirtier on Brian Lake for that incident than I am on McInerney.

He knew exactly what Nick Riewoldt was like and Riewoldt sucked him in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'm going to be blunt here, I'm dirtier on Brian Lake for that incident than I am on McInerney.

He knew exactly what Nick Riewoldt was like and Riewoldt sucked him in.
    Sure. But maybe equal blame on that one, neither should have done it especially Brian. My real gripe is the holding the ball decision in the first quarter on Ryan Hargrave who had kicked it seconds before the decisions, a disgusting and completely wrong decision. We had controlled the game and that free led to St Kilda getting their first goal. Momentum killer for us, who knows what kind of bigger lead we could've amassed had that not happened. Maybe Hough to win, who knows. The diving decision was just salt in the wound. Clearly the umpiring bosses didn't believe his prelim warranted a grand final.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

When my sister and I were leaving that 2009 prelim, we were grabbed by a bloke who exclaimed: you guys were robbed, I’ve never seen such terrible umpiring. The bloke was Mark “Choco” Williams.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sure. But maybe equal blame on that one, neither should have done it especially Brian. My real gripe is the holding the ball decision in the first quarter on Ryan Hargrave who had kicked it seconds before the decisions, a disgusting and completely wrong decision. We had controlled the game and that free led to St Kilda getting their first goal. Momentum killer for us, who knows what kind of bigger lead we could've amassed had that not happened. Maybe Hough to win, who knows. The diving decision was just salt in the wound. Clearly the umpiring bosses didn't believe his prelim warranted a grand final.
    Can't remember which umpire called it - the deliberate OOB against Aker in the vital last quarter. That was a joke, he kicked the ball 50 metres up the ground - the ball is oval shaped and ca bounce anywhere.

Saints got a free and two kicks later Riewoldt kicks a goal
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

When you posted this you had briefly forgotten about the 2009 prelim, hadn't you?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    When you posted this you had briefly forgotten about the 2009 prelim, hadn't you?
    Been and gone. I get more upset at the players in the cold hard light of day really
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite