Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL fixture Round 23 2019: League confirms times and dates for final round of season

AFL fixture Round 23 2019: League confirms times and dates for final round of season

The first game of Round 23 is set to draw a monster crowd, while Brisbane will have to wait until the last day of the round for its grand MCG test ahead of the finals.

The AFL on Tuesday night confirmed the dates, times and venues for Round 23, with Collingwood and Essendon to kick off the round.

With the Bombers in hot form and the Pies slipping out of the top four, there’s a real possibility the two teams could meet again in an elimination final a fortnight later.

The Richmond-Brisbane clash was the other Friday night option but never a realistic one as the Tigers would’ve copped a five-day break having played on the previous Sunday.

The Sunday afternoon clash could carry extra significance as the Lions and Tigers could be jostling for the same spot inside the top four.

Brisbane, which has won its past six straight games, will return to the MCG for just the second time this season after the Bombers belted Chris Fagan’s men by 47 points in Round 4.

The Western Bulldogs will host Adelaide in Ballarat in the early Sunday spot to avoid any lighting issues. That game could also see the two teams fighting for a top-eight spot.

ROUND 23 FIXTURE (ALL TIMES AEST)

Friday August 23

Collingwood v Essendon (MCG), 7.50pm

Saturday August 24

Sydney Swans v St Kilda (SCG), 1.45pm

North Melbourne v Melbourne (Blundstone Arena), 2.10pm

Geelong Cats v Carlton (GMHBA Stadium) 4.35pm

Gold Coast Suns v GWS Giants (Metricon Stadium), 7.25pm

West Coast Eagles v Hawthorn (Optus Stadium), 8.10pm

Sunday August 25

Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows (Mars Stadium), 1.10pm

Richmond v Brisbane Lions (MCG), 3.20pm

Port Adelaide v Fremantle (Adelaide Oval), 4.40pm
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL fixture Round 23 2019: League confirms times and dates for final round of season

AT least there will still be some daylight when the match finishes.

The race for the 8 may well come down to the final game.

There are that many teams in the running for finals that getting them all in on the Friday/Saturday would have been impossible.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL fixture Round 23 2019: League confirms times and dates for final round of season

According to AFL360, the AFL tried to move the game to Marvel so it could be played as the showcase Saturday night or Sunday channel 7 game.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    According to AFL360, the AFL tried to move the game to Marvel so it could be played as the showcase Saturday night or Sunday channel 7 game.
    That is peak AFEL right there. Fixture the game in Ballarat in R23 and then ask the club to move a game that they scheduled themselves.

I reckon 1.10pm on Sunday is the perfect Ballarat timeslot.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That is peak AFEL right there. Fixture the game in Ballarat in R23 and then ask the club to move a game that they scheduled themselves.

I reckon 1.10pm on Sunday is the perfect Ballarat timeslot.
    Agree on both fronts.

Unfortunately Steve Hocking is so busy trying to think of how to reduce tackling and ejecting unruly supporters that he's lost sight of making sure the league actually runs properly.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of a shame to not be at Marvel to finish the year and potentially play off for finals...but we’ve known this all year.

Get the feeling we might be wishing there was a wildcard round.

Post Thanks / Like

About time they released this. What is the big deal, there is a bye round straight after?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    About time they released this. What is the big deal, there is a bye round straight after?
    Exactly. It made sense before the week off came in to ensure finalists had a fair break, but now does it really matter if it's a 12, 13 or 14 day break?

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think playing an important match in Ballarat to make finals could be great for our long term connection to the region. We want to build a second base there and this seems like a great way to get people interested and if they’re interested we have a chance to get them onboard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Exactly. It made sense before the week off came in to ensure finalists had a fair break, but now does it really matter if it's a 12, 13 or 14 day break?
    As it turns out, I am at a conference in Barossa valley and flying back on the Saturday. Now I can make the game, however, if I knew the game was on Saturday, I would have taken a Friday night flight or a very early Saturday morning. The AFL really knows how to stuff people around.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.