Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Trends Podcast - "Cohesion"

Has anyone listened to the episode from last week on 'Team Cohesion'?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/features...trends-podcast

(Pick the one called 'Transforming Average into Extraordinary')

It is very eye opening and very much against conventional wisdom...talks a lot about how the way a player performs at one club does not necessarily relate to how he will perform at another one (which he also calls the Melbourne Storm Mirage).

It is very (very, very, very interesting!).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trends Podcast - "Cohesion"

I have to laugh at the Melbourne Storm Mirage.

Sounds very interesting, will give it a listen tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I have to laugh at the Melbourne Storm Mirage.

Sounds very interesting, will give it a listen tonight
    That part is about the fact that when you recruit a player from the Storm, that isn't the player you are getting...one reason that player 'appears' so good is the consistency of the system he has been part of was a big part of the success he was able to have.

For NFL lovers, I guess it is the equivalent of (back in the '90s) drafting a running back from Penn State. They are good 'cos they are part of the Penn State system, so don't (for the love of god Bengals) spend a number one pick on Ki Jana Carter.

Oh.

5. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Has anyone listened to the episode from last week on 'Team Cohesion'?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/features...trends-podcast

(Pick the one called 'Transforming Average into Extraordinary')

It is very eye opening and very much against conventional wisdom...talks a lot about how the way a player performs at one club does not necessarily relate to how he will perform at another one (which he also calls the Melbourne Storm Mirage).

It is very (very, very, very interesting!).
    I listened to this last week. They had this guy on SEN just after 2016 where they mentioned he had us trending up when McCartney left.

I also found the talk about how a player might perform at different clubs very interesting. It’s all backed up pretty convincingly.

The podcast itself is one of the best around from a footy nerd perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MJP, really enjoyed that.

Carlton are a great case in point. Went and targeted Judd as the 'cultural fix' and while he was great for them as a player, it did nothing for the overall standing of the club.

The idea that off-field behaviour doesn't necessarily reflect on-field unity was interesting too. I guess the no-dickheads rule doesn't matter too much if the dickheads gel on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    The idea that off-field behaviour doesn't necessarily reflect on-field unity was interesting too. I guess the no-dickheads rule doesn't matter too much if the dickheads gel on the field.
    Yes look at Collingwood under Mick Malthouse. Guys drunk, hitting cars, betting on the team etc , but Mick kept them together and they won a flag.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting listen.

How quickly can you build cohesion? The Raptors (I know NBA is very different given smaller number of players) managed to make significant changes and win a title within a very short space of time. Does this come down to player character? EG happy to take a lesser or changed role for the benefit of the team?

On face value id say we have a little bit of work to do in this space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Interesting listen.

How quickly can you build cohesion? The Raptors (I know NBA is very different given smaller number of players) managed to make significant changes and win a title within a very short space of time. Does this come down to player character? EG happy to take a lesser or changed role for the benefit of the team?

On face value id say we have a little bit of work to do in this space.
    Yeah...at the same time, the Raps recruited Kawhi AND Green from the Spurs...so they imported cohesion...and with only 5 on the court....

11. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I listened to this last week and kept thinking about our assistant coaches. Though obviously it’s not just the coaches and assistants that determine cohesion it made think a little differently about keeping the team together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeah I listened to this last week and kept thinking about our assistant coaches. Though obviously it’s not just the coaches and assistants that determine cohesion it made think a little differently about keeping the team together.
    Not saying I disagree, but we've seen a number a clubs - Richmond spring to mind - have significant off-field reviews and turnover in backroom staff that brings an immediate improvement to results.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...at the same time, the Raps recruited Kawhi AND Green from the Spurs...so they imported cohesion...and with only 5 on the court....
    I would have said the Raps had strong cohesion as a team before acquiring Kawhi and Green - they had a stable management and very good talent identification and development (Siakam, VanVleet, Powell etc) - they changed the head coach - but were well placed to integrate them into what they do, whilst also adjusting to what they bring

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Not saying I disagree, but we've seen a number a clubs - Richmond spring to mind - have significant off-field reviews and turnover in backroom staff that brings an immediate improvement to results.
    Absolutely. Made me think twice about the ‘replace the lot’ feeling I had though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, true. Also the late Gasol addition, changed Ibaka role, Siakim much bigger role, along with the Spurs recruits, new coach... it's a significant amount of change.

We've had plans to shuffle our side two years ago - failed and reverted quickly with no sustained chance to build cohesion

This year similar thing - Naughty, Trengove, English + who are our main mids?

Hope we see a different approach this pre season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yeah, true. Also the late Gasol addition, changed Ibaka role, Siakim much bigger role, along with the Spurs recruits, new coach... it's a significant amount of change.

We've had plans to shuffle our side two years ago - failed and reverted quickly with no sustained chance to build cohesion

This year similar thing - Naughty, Trengove, English + who are our main mids?

Hope we see a different approach this pre season.
    On the flip side we have had a fairly settled side post bye and we are seeing positive results. But then again same could be said for last season also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?