Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  74
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane R20 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Once again missing simple set shots at goal costs us badly. We had a few opportunities to gain momentum (and footy is a game of momentum-if you have it, then you are hard to stop but it can disappear so quickly just by missing one easy set shot.
    That didn't cost us at all. They also missed plenty of easy ones. It was our entry into the forward 50 that robbed us of opportunities to even have a shot. Some of the dumb passes into the forward line was amateurish .

We over used the ball (74 more disposals) and we weren't very efficient with it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This will go down as one of the most disappointing seasons. Every top 8 side is vulnerable and we have the best midfield group in the league. If our defence and (to a lesser extent) forward line even resembled AFL quality, we’d be up to our eyeballs. Alas we’ve pisses it away.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That didn't cost us at all. They also missed plenty of easy ones. It was our entry into the forward 50 that robbed us of opportunities to even have a shot. Some of the dumb passes into the forward line was amateurish .

We over used the ball (74 more disposals) and we weren't very efficient with it.
    The shorter passes going forward we’re good to see in the 2nd half as we were just bombing it early on. Hard to get good opportunity just bombing it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have misunderstood me. I didn't say that it was goalkicking I said it was missing simple shots at goal. If Naughton had slotted simple set shots and Bont didn't miss from 5 metres out, heads wouldn't have dropped and we would have won more contests (it's hard to win contests with your arms attached to your hips and your head down).

There's a difference between goalkicking and missing simple shots at goal. Bad goalkicking is kicking more behinds than goals, missing simple shots are the team deflating, coach killers that arise because players don't take enough care with their kicking technique.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a dirty prick that Robinson was with the hit into the ribs of Dunks. I hope he is ok.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    This will go down as one of the most disappointing seasons. Every top 8 side is vulnerable and we have the best midfield group in the league. If our defence and (to a lesser extent) forward line even resembled AFL quality, we’d be up to our eyeballs. Alas we’ve pisses it away.
    3 of the top 4 (WC, Richmond and Brisbane) have a sustainable and predictable game plan that doesn't over-rely on 1-2 players shooting the lights out. By contrast we rely far too much on our absolute cream, hence the big gap between our best and worst. So do Geelong, hence why they are finals fodder every year.

Your point about our bookends is spot-on - we need to keep tinkering with both ends of the ground so we can maximise our midfield dominance, protect our back 6 and get better reward for our I50's.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

What a dirty prick that Robinson was with the hit into the ribs of Dunks. I hope he is ok.
    Yeah, pretty much. Easy to hurt a bloke who’s open and not expecting it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Commentators loved it. Said it was legal, Roos a little circumspect. Let's let Dunk's do that to them or someone from a team they support and see if that changes...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

When something like that happens there is no way that Robinson should leave the field without a trainer holding each arm. We should never have let Ziebull leave the ground under his own steam after he heroically attacked Cloke from behind. He should have been looking over his shoulder until everthing turned to black for him. How come every other club can get that through their heads except for us? I'd hate to be a young kid playing for us. Other clubs must be laughing at us.

12. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feel like the scoreboard flattered us a little, despite a few fits and spurts of reasonable footy. Backline was outclassed and our physicality no where near matched theirs across the field. Our inside work and clearances seemed good but the missed tackles etc stacked up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When something like that happens there is no way that Robinson should leave the field without a trainer holding each arm. We should never have let Ziebull leave the ground under his own steam after he heroically attacked Cloke from behind. He should have been looking over his shoulder until everthing turned to black for him. How come every other club can get that through their heads except for us? I'd hate to be a young kid playing for us. Other clubs must be laughing at us.
    Trengove had a bit of a go, he should have unloaded and belted him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Feel like the scoreboard flattered us a little, despite a few fits and spurts of reasonable footy. Backline was outclassed and our physicality no where near matched theirs across the field. Our inside work and clearances seemed good but the missed tackles etc stacked up.
    13 or 14 other teams would have taken Brisbane to the cleaners today. The Lions weren't off their game by that much but it only takes being off by 5% and things can get ugly. Without checking their fixture it wouldn't surprise me if they lost their next couple. Next week by a litlle (and it should have been this week) and then the rot sets in and it's a 7-10 goals loss.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know the result and chose WOOF to let the game unfold, sorry you guys for putting the eager eye on you. I was faithful to page four, then googled the below:

"The Brisbane Lions have their 14th win of the year, and sit equal on points with Geelong and West Coast Eagles and third on the ladder overall after rolling the Western Bulldogs in an exciting, back-and-forth contest at the Gabba featuring a number of outstanding individual performances by both teams."
    Reporters are easier on the nerves but not as keen as us.

Post Thanks / Like

This was a very winnable game given the opportunities we had after a tardy start. The forward line was inadequate with smaller forwards in Dickson Lloyd and Dale contributing one goal between them. The back line lacked class and leg speed and there is an urgent need to find a quality key defender. A terrible error by our MC to have both English and Bont on the interchange bench together in the final term which enabled Martin to take control in the ruck and the brilliance of Bont missing in the midfield at such a vital time.
    The brilliance of Bont and ball getting ability of Macrae with support from Dunkley kept us constantly in attack but in the end we fell short.

18. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Trengove had a bit of a go, he should have unloaded and belted him.
    Somebody should have. I would have loved to see Trengove split him down the middle with a classic shirtfront ("that's one!" to quote Steve Wallis)