Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors Rnd 20, 2019 vs Briabane Lions

This is the round 20, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Brisbane is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors Rnd 20, 2019 vs Briabane Lions

B

Macrae. Does his thing almost every week of every season.
    Bonts. Like Macrae, but kicks goals.
    Forward craft between Naughton & Schache. They seemed to employ more strategy as a team tonight, got Schache his second goal.

A

So poorly pissing away a good chance at finals.
    Cordy. I'm sorry my son, but I can't stand and fight back the criticism. It's time to see Lew Young I suspect.
    Wood. Players look at Bonts and see what they're meant to do. With you it's not what to do. I'm lost to see where you fit in unless some of that 2015-16 player comes back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    One of the most influential games from Bont. His 2nd half was the top shelf of AFL players.
    Macrae not far behind Bont in terms of influence in getting us back in the game.
    Josh Schache, really loving his lift in intensity and use of his body. His straight kicking for goal is also a breath of fresh air.

Anchors.
    Our error riddled 1st half. Much like the Saints game, we were our worst enemy.
    Hunter, just hurt us so many times with poor, lazy execution.
    Cordy, I still think he's got a future, but he underlines how desperate we are for a true key defender.

4. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers
    One of the most influential games from Bont. His 2nd half was the top shelf of AFL players.
    Macrae not far behind Bont in terms of influence in getting us back in the game.
    Josh Schache, really loving his lift in intensity and use of his body. His straight kicking for goal is also a breath of fresh air.

Anchors.
    Our error riddled 1st half. Much like the Saints game, we were our worst enemy.
    Hunter, just hurt us so many times with poor, lazy execution.
    Cordy, I still think he's got a future, but he underlines how desperate we are for a true key defender.
    Cordy’s biggest issue is Easton Wood.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cordy’s biggest issue is Easton Wood.
    Cordy came from the factory with clear directions to only play on third talls. Maybe that was lost when they unwrapped him.

Wood even if he puts in another poor year, will get extended next year for at least two more.

So we are creating a puzzle for ourselves in which realities have to bend and break for a solution to be found.

Then Trengove shouldn't be anywhere near where the footy is. While Young must develop at VFL. Imagine him sitting at home watching this tonight....

We badly need to go after Keith & Tomlinson, and maybe even Day. We need to rebuild the defence spine as a matter of priority. Trengove's best footy in two years was forward/2nd ruck. lets see what his last contracted year next year is like because he seems like a great influence on the group, but like Wood, a great influence that burns the footy and costs goals.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Bont - when we needed a lift, he gave it to us. He's our on-field leader even without the 'C'.
    English - getting whacked every week, but he is building resilience and improving as the season goes on.
    Crozier - has become a very dependable player.

Anchors:

Ball use - Our kicking I50 was deplorable. Just wasted sooo many opportunities. David King mentioned on SEN this morning that from the 28 times that Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter, Lipinski & Daniel kicked the ball I50 we took 2 marks.. that's the game boys & girls.
    F50 pressure - whilst our kicking into the area was horrid our ability to keep it in was worse. We desperately need some pace down there.
    The Old guys - Dickson, Trengove, Wood & Suckling were all poor against a zippy team. How Suckling came straight back in after a very average season needs to be questioned as he was miles off the pace.