Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 20 v Brisbane 2019

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    And the week before that they had more handballs than kicks (an unusual feat) and smashed Port and the week before was 227-178 (127%) and smashed GWS.
    You seem to be desperate to discount something that is starting to look obvious. When this Bulldog team focuses on kicking as the first option they usually win.

Obviously there are other factors.

For example when we lost to Gold Coast the ratio was 159%. We lost the hitouts by more than 50, which didn’t help.

The following week we had the same ratio as Collingwood but also lost the hitouts by more than 50 again. And our tallest backman was the non-tall Cordy which also didn’t help.

Obviously kicking doesn’t always overcome structural weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    You seem to be desperate to discount something that is starting to look obvious. When this Bulldog team focuses on kicking as the first option they usually win.

Obviously there are other factors.

For example when we lost to Gold Coast the ratio was 159%. We lost the hitouts by more than 50, which didn’t help.

The following week we had the same ratio as Collingwood but also lost the hitouts by more than 50 again. And our tallest backman was the non-tall Cordy which also didn’t help.

Obviously kicking doesn’t always overcome structural weaknesses.
    Ah of course if it’s not kicking then it must be your other hobby horse, hitouts. And that fact my initial comment was that we shouldn’t just outright copy Brisbane and we need the right balance for us is lost forever as you mischaracterise my reasoning as ‘the dogs shouldn’t kick more’

Thank you for advising me of how I appear but I simply don’t accept your ‘this is the exact problem and here’s some stats’ and ‘this player is better than this other player and here’s some stats’ line of argument.

All I’m saying is that maybe it’s actually something else that allows us to kick first rather than simply a directive to kick first that is the cause of success in these examples. Pressure, good quick release by hands at the contest to someone free, work rate up the field, lack of pressure by the opposition, etc. You can get me a graph if all our kick to handball ratios vs the +\- margin and it still won’t satisfy me on its own. Statistics are to be interpreted. That are a glimpse at the truth. They are not the truth itself.

3. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Ah of course if it’s not kicking then it must be your other hobby horse, hitouts. And that fact my initial comment was that we shouldn’t just outright copy Brisbane and we need the right balance for us is lost forever as you mischaracterise my reasoning as ‘the dogs shouldn’t kick more’

Thank you for advising me of how I appear but I simply don’t accept your ‘this is the exact problem and here’s some stats’ and ‘this player is better than this other player and here’s some stats’ line of argument.

All I’m saying is that maybe it’s actually something else that allows us to kick first rather than simply a directive to kick first that is the cause of success in these examples. Pressure, good quick release by hands at the contest to someone free, work rate up the field, lack of pressure by the opposition, etc. You can get me a graph if all our kick to handball ratios vs the +\- margin and it still won’t satisfy me on its own. Statistics are to be interpreted. That are a glimpse at the truth. They are not the truth itself.
    I have not counted them but i am sure that i have had more than two.

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Three things you have learned-round 20 v Brisbane 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I have not counted them but i am sure that i have had more than two.
    Oh absolutely! Half a dozen at least.

I am able to make that point because I am perfect and would never bang on about anything...

...except goalkicking technique. And umpiring. Not to mention handballing backwards over your head. But apart from those there are only 4 or 5 more that I bang on about.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I am able to make that point because I am perfect and would never bang on about anything...

...except goalkicking technique. And umpiring. Not to mention handballing backwards over your head. But apart from those there are only 4 or 5 more that I bang on about.
    *cough*ASADA*cough*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    *cough*ASADA*cough*
    Oh, don't get me stared on that. To be fair ASADA isn't strictly about footy.

Speaking of which why are WADA now forcing athletes to take drugs? Caster Semenya who was never accused of taking performance enhancers is now being made to take drugs if she wants to compete because she has a naturally occuring hormone? Where do we go next? If athletes are really fast do we tie one of their legs to the other?

What a farce.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the trade of Hamling Td.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, don't get me stared on that. To be fair ASADA isn't strictly about footy.

Speaking of which why are WADA now forcing athletes to take drugs? Caster Semenya who was never accused of taking performance enhancers is now being made to take drugs if she wants to compete because she has a naturally occuring hormone? Where do we go next? If athletes are really fast do we tie one of their legs to the other?

What a farce.
    Now you will upset me about this one.

There has previously been a maximum testosterone level for athletes to compete as females.

Semenya was previously banned because she is not within acceptable female hormone levels, but had the rules overturned to win gold medals.

If she wants to compete she can, but not as a female unless she reduces the hormone levels to acceptable female standards.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Gender & sport, this should end well
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Now you will upset me about this one.

There has previously been a maximum testosterone level for athletes to compete as females.

Semenya was previously banned because she is not within acceptable female hormone levels, but had the rules overturned to win gold medals.

If she wants to compete she can, but not as a female unless she reduces the hormone levels to acceptable female standards.
    Acceptable female hormone levels...…….out of context that sequence of words could get you in a fair bit of trouble!

I think we should also look at genetics if we're looking at hormones.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Acceptable female hormone levels...…….out of context that sequence of words could get you in a fair bit of trouble!

I think we should also look at genetics if we're looking at hormones.
    An interesting topic for debate and I can easily be out of context when it comes to the female gender. Perhaps we should leave it there as we are far enough of topic already.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Three things you have learned-round 20 v Brisbane 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    An interesting topic for debate and I can easily be out of context when it comes to the female gender. Perhaps we should leave it there as we are far enough of topic already.
    I've made my point. I'm happy.