Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane were ready for us.

Just a quick point on game-style.

Our rapid fire handball - particularly out of contested situations and PARTICULARLY from inside the contest killed us today.

We do this thing where the ball is on the ground, we are 'over it' and we 'throw it outside the contest' where the runners are. Today the 'runners' wore maroon and blue.

Watching on TV, I just found myself shouting over and again 'just hold it in' as we were tackled and indiscriminantly handballed it to the outside...one by Liber in q2 and another by Hunter in q4 will live long in my memory...we aren't going to be called for holding the ball, so just hang on to the thing and force a stoppage/restart.

But. That's how we play. And the Lions saw us coming. And they surrounded the contest. And they HURT us on the breakaway.

It is a big strength of ours (handball) but when there are numbers around the ball, it really is a roll of the dice and today it came up snake eyes too many times. Oh yeah, and whilst I'm at it if Maclean isn't going to knock Berry out of bounds in the last quarter of a close game and is going to forget the percentage play and instead try to lay a tackle but miss the tackle, well, I don't think he can play for a couple of weeks. Sorry, but some things are non-negotiable and that was a BIG moment.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane were ready for us.

Mike, as usual you are spot on.

We had a great opportunity and we showed we can compete, but we gift it to our opposition WAAY too often.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

When Brisbane had the ball, they controlled the pace and tempo, and we really didn't like it. We need a plan for when this happens, so we can get the ball back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When Brisbane had the ball, they controlled the pace and tempo, and we really didn't like it. We need a plan for when this happens, so we can get the ball back.
    Just a thought but maybe not kicking it to them every time we got the ball might help?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Just a thought but maybe not kicking it to them every time we got the ball might help?
    Hunter says hello. He butchered the ball today worse than I've ever seen him do. So many times they just banged it on the boot when they had time, and when they actually had time they missed easy lay up passes that just had to be in the general vicinity.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hunter provides options and gut running, that's true. But I get so frustrated because he often gets the ball, then tries some party-trick only to undo the chain. He looks a million bucks until the kick that matters most. I feel a bit disappointed, and hope I am not being too hard, but today was particularly bad!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just a quick point on game-style.

Our rapid fire handball - particularly out of contested situations and PARTICULARLY from inside the contest killed us today.

We do this thing where the ball is on the ground, we are 'over it' and we 'throw it outside the contest' where the runners are. Today the 'runners' wore maroon and blue.

Watching on TV, I just found myself shouting over and again 'just hold it in' as we were tackled and indiscriminantly handballed it to the outside...one by Liber in q2 and another by Hunter in q4 will live long in my memory...we aren't going to be called for holding the ball, so just hang on to the thing and force a stoppage/restart.

But. That's how we play. And the Lions saw us coming. And they surrounded the contest. And they HURT us on the breakaway.

It is a big strength of ours (handball) but when there are numbers around the ball, it really is a roll of the dice and today it came up snake eyes too many times. Oh yeah, and whilst I'm at it if Maclean isn't going to knock Berry out of bounds in the last quarter of a close game and is going to forget the percentage play and instead try to lay a tackle but miss the tackle, well, I don't think he can play for a couple of weeks. Sorry, but some things are non-negotiable and that was a BIG moment.
    Great post, thanks for the insight.

It was clear that not only at the first contest after a stoppage but those subsequent Brisbane were able to put enough pressure on the ball but keep a balance on the outlet to ensure they had cover as you mentioned. A couple of contests Dickson was involved in showed this up.

With a bit more care using the football we could have adjusted a little better earlier, which we eventually did anyway, as we had the opportunity to pressure them on the scoreboard and reset but it wasn't to be. As a result it was a genuine weekend wrecker of a game because we fluffed our lines so clinically early that Brisbane was able to get a good lead and give the likes of Charlie Cameron an opportunity to kick straight due to point blank opportunities.

I'd actually forgotten that Toby was on the ground until that contest you mentioned, that and Macrae's overrun to be faked out for a Brisbane goal early stood out for me as key defencive moments where players just needed to be a bit smarter. Well not just a bit smarter, but more in tune with what is important which is neutralise a situation and hold up the game because we were done for speed.

While you were shouting at the TV for your own reasons, I think I was shouting at the stupidity of our decision making and execution forward of half back pretty much all game. You're right the Lions did us next ball out, but we won enough footy to hurt them back and we failed to do it at critical times. Plus while everyone was slipping over all game, we seemed to do that more and it really pissed me off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree - they had a better structure than us all game. Every time the camera panned out there seemed to be more of them than us.

I thought the core difference was how innefective we were with turnovers. There were 3 instances in the first, and a couple in the second where we had numbers running with the ball but either second guessed ourselves or just missed a target in space.

You could see the momentum switch each time they transitioned and scored easily.

Side point - I have absolutely no issue with the bump from Robinson on Dunkley, but for god sake I’d like a couple of the boys to remonstrate and bloody well do the same thing to their top mids!! We don’t match up well when teams bring aggression.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the game unfortunately, how did we get back into the game? An adjustment to our handball game, or did we try and slow it down and move the ball more deliberately?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

They used the wide open space better. There was a sense of a coherent plan and all knew their role. Fagan is impressive.

And every team but us manages to do the fast break where there ends up being either a line forward or a one out contest where the kick is to their advantage. We are slow in a lot of areas of the ground. I struggle to think of who has pace. Bailey Smith. jJ. Little Red (what’s happened with him?). Naughton is reasonably quick for his size. But I can’t think of others..
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Still if we had Cameron we would of easily won that game. Or even if Dickson was anywhere near his prime or Lloyd had a better game then it could of been different. Dickson has been great for us over recent years but he looks like he's running on a different surface out there compared to everyone else.

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zorko's hamstring wasn't ready. And that's part of why we got back into it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Zorko's hamstring wasn't ready. And that's part of why we got back into it.
    Don't agree. We changed it up after half time, and The Bont started to dominate the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I missed the game unfortunately, how did we get back into the game? An adjustment to our handball game, or did we try and slow it down and move the ball more deliberately?
    The Bont took control.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The Bont took control.
    In particular that 3rd quarter to get us back in it. He was really good but we need to capitalise on our advantages inside 50 and we simply haven’t done that consistently. We have kicked some good scores this year but need to aim for that week to week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"