Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane were ready for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Hunter provides options and gut running, that's true. But I get so frustrated because he often gets the ball, then tries some party-trick only to undo the chain. He looks a million bucks until the kick that matters most. I feel a bit disappointed, and hope I am not being too hard, but today was particularly bad!
    You are not being too harsh on Hunter but it equally applies to a number of others as well. Against the Lions, Hunter Macrae and Dunkley would have accumulated over 100 disposals between them with little result on the scoreboard. Their ability to win the ball isn’t matched by disposing of the ball correctly. As a result we are becoming hard to watch as a team. There is a trend that has emerged that is proving unhealthy. I personally think that the team is in need of a shake up. Others on Woof that players are gaining regular selection without earning it, which is becoming a concern. Losing games to the likes of GCS, Carlton and St Kilda simply highlights our lack of professionalism. Bontempelli is an exception. We need more to follow his lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    You are not being too harsh on Hunter but it equally applies to a number of others as well. Against the Lions, Hunter Macrae and Dunkley would have accumulated over 100 disposals between them with little result on the scoreboard. Their ability to win the ball isn’t matched by disposing of the ball correctly. As a result we are becoming hard to watch as a team. There is a trend that has emerged that is proving unhealthy. I personally think that the team is in need of a shake up. Others on Woof that players are gaining regular selection without earning it, which is becoming a concern. Losing games to the likes of GCS, Carlton and St Kilda simply highlights our lack of professionalism. Bontempelli is an exception. We need more to follow his lead.
    Macrae had 9 score involvements, Dunkley 10 (Bont 12). They don’t have to kick goals themselves to have scoreboard impact.

Post Thanks / Like

We lost because of our own stupid mistakes, simple as that , hunter missing easy targets up forward, the Bont and Naughton missing goals,bombing it as usual to Brisbane’s talls in our forward line, kick those we win.
    What happened to last weeks lowering the eyes and hitting up targets ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We lost because of our own stupid mistakes, simple as that , hunter missing easy targets up forward, the Bont and Naughton missing goals,bombing it as usual to Brisbane’s talls in our forward line, kick those we win.
    Yep that was the big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep that was the big difference.
    It’s our biggest bug bear, we wouldn’t lose to many games If we did that every game, just hope it clicks into action more often than not as it’s visa versa at the moment.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Macrae had 9 score involvements, Dunkley 10 (Bont 12). They don’t have to kick goals themselves to have scoreboard impact.
    Yes...but Bont's miss from inside the goal-square counts as a score involvement. As does Hunter running inside 50m in q2, not taking the shot and somehow also missing both Lloyd and Smith (both open ahead of him) and the ball rolling through for a point.

I know what you are saying, but Macrae and Bont had 30% of our inside 50's...and I think we all feel delivery inside 50 was a significant problem for us...so - be careful of lies and damned statistics as they only tell half the story.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes The bulldog tragician, Mofra, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We still took 14 marks inside F50 so it wasn’t a total disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yes...but Bont's miss from inside the goal-square counts as a score involvement. As does Hunter running inside 50m in q2, not taking the shot and somehow also missing both Lloyd and Smith (both open ahead of him) and the ball rolling through for a point.

I know what you are saying, but Macrae and Bont had 30% of our inside 50's...and I think we all feel delivery inside 50 was a significant problem for us...so - be careful of lies and damned statistics as they only tell half the story.
    It was a response to the assertion that Macrae, Dunkley and Hunter get lots of possessions but apparently all have terrible disposal and don't impact the scoreboard at all. I think that is completely incorrect, especially in regards to Macrae and Dunkley.

Of course our delivery inside 50 remains an issue, but I actually felt our decision making was a bigger problem than skill execution against Brisbane. Your Hunter example a case in point.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course our delivery inside 50 remains an issue, but I actually felt our decision making was a bigger problem than skill execution against Brisbane. Your Hunter example a case in point.
    I didn't understand why we had to always rush our shots within the F50, we need to be more composed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We still took 14 marks inside F50 so it wasn’t a total disaster.
    One in four entries results in a mark, is that the expected rate? Should be 1 in 3.

What score results from the mark? Not enough.

Why? Where the mark is taken, Distance and angle - Too far, too wide.

Why? Entry is slow from the wings.

Do the opposition backmen take more? Suspect so.

Why? Slow wide entries put 20 defenders in the arc.

How to fix this?

Open up, less handball (too many, too short) , look ahead, quick 40 metre low trajectory kicks (forward- not backwards and sideways), get away from the boundary line, have some set plays into forward line like other teams, give players an assigned role (all over the ground).

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae had 9 score involvements, Dunkley 10 . They don’t have to kick goals themselves to have scoreboard impact.
    Great players - but many of their score involvements should be goals they have kicked.

A midfielder getting 40 possessions should have a few goals.

If Dunkley gets a set kick 40 metres from goal he is likely to look for a pass.

There must be someone at the club who can turn them into goal kickers.

It would take a lot of pressure off the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    One in four entries results in a mark, is that the expected rate? Should be 1 in 3.

What score results from the mark? Not enough.

Why? Where the mark is taken, Distance and angle - Too far, too wide.

Why? Entry is slow from the wings.

Do the opposition backmen take more? Suspect so.

Why? Slow wide entries put 20 defenders in the arc.

How to fix this?

Open up, less handball (too many, too short) , look ahead, quick 40 metre low trajectory kicks (forward- not backwards and sideways), get away from the boundary line, have some set plays into forward line like other teams, give players an assigned role (all over the ground).
    No team in the league averages 1 mark per 3 inside 50s. We are equal with Collingwood for the most marks inside 50, although they do it from fewer inside 50s.

You know what though? Inside 50 and marks inside 50 numbers have little correlation to the current ladder.

I do agree that often our marks inside 50 are not in dangerous positions. It's not a simple solution though - the opposition is likely to better guard the dangerous areas leaving us with a choice to kick long to the hot spot with a low likelihood of a mark or try to find an open player in a lower percentage goal kicking position.

Ball movement is not as simple as just kick 40 metres forward all the time. We would be slaughtered if we did that. It's up to the players to assess the situation and take the best course of action which may be breaking the play up with handball, kicking sideways or backwards to shift the defence and open something up, or kicking long if it's on. I guess striking the right balance is the key.

Post Thanks / Like

Great players - but many of their score involvements should be goals they have kicked.

A midfielder getting 40 possessions should have a few goals.

If Dunkley gets a set kick 40 metres from goal he is likely to look for a pass.

There must be someone at the club who can turn them into goal kickers.

It would take a lot of pressure off the team.
    Why? Does it matter who kicks goals, as long as they are kicked?

Some absolute champion midfielders have not been goal kickers. Macrae in particular is not going to magically become one. We all wish he would pull the trigger more when in position to have a shot, but it doesn't make or break him as a player.

If he's getting the ball +30 times and setting up other for goals that's just fine with me. Where his inside 50s are going may be a different discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Too true. Stats can be over rated and read what you want into them. Perfect example was the other week. Freo had more inside 50's than West Coast and lost by 90+ points.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether a mark results from an inside 50 is of little relevance, I want us to score from entries, not just catch the thing.

This year, we average 2.33 Inside 50s per scoring shot. Brisbane averages 2.13. We average one mark inside 50 out of every 4.35 entries. Brisbane averages One mark every 5.11 entries.

Both of the top two teams in the competition are running a 1 mark to 4 inside 50s ratio. Your 1 in 3 rationale is simplistic in the extreme and not backed up by evidence.