Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane were ready for us.

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I am getting sick of seeing high disposals for little return on the scoreboard and most importantly winning games of football.
    You need to also look at goal assists, and score involvements, not just goals.

Name one team with better mids than us - it's an interesting debate.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Right now - West Coast, Richmond and arguably Brisbane.

Before anyone even considers suggesting Collingwood - hell no. They have Grundy, then some ball hunters who don't work for each other at all.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see Macrae’s conversation rate for score assists against attempts. My thoughts are that his final kick doesn’t hit the mark as often as it should.

Lots of score involvements which is a given how often he handles the ball, but as the final piece he lets himself down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would love to see Macrae’s conversation rate for score assists against attempts. My thoughts are that his final kick doesn’t hit the mark as often as it should.

Lots of score involvements which is a given how often he handles the ball, but as the final piece he lets himself down.
    You could say the same about Dunkley and Hunter. When our 5 permanent forwards contribute just 5 goals between them then something is radically wrong when you consider the amount of ball supply being generated by the midfield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    True, but these guys have natural talent to work with. So it should only take about 200 hours to get a 100% improvement.
    Are you able to give me a percentage figure on how arbitrary those figures you came up with are?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I don't know if those stats are available, but for the season, Macrae has kicked 3 goals, but 19 goal assists and running at 75.2% disposal efficiency.

I think perception and reality don't equal, because humans tend to concentrate on the errors but not the positives.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Before anyone even considers suggesting Collingwood - hell no. They have Grundy, then some ball hunters who don't work for each other at all.
    Depends how you measure better of course. Going by disposal stats, Eagles have Gaff, Sheed, Shuey, Richmond have Prestia in top 15 for disposals, and then falls to 18 for Dusty, Brisbane have Neale top 4, next best is Lyon at 49.

We have Macrae at 2, Bont, Hunter, Dunkley in top 20. I think we stand up to any team

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have the best midfield but are hampered somewhat by Tim being at the stage of development he's at. Interestingly enough the ruck divisions suck for all the teams you mentioned too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Depends how you measure better of course. Going by disposal stats, Eagles have Gaff, Sheed, Shuey, Richmond have Prestia in top 15 for disposals, and then falls to 18 for Dusty, Brisbane have Neale top 4, next best is Lyon at 49.

We have Macrae at 2, Bont, Hunter, Dunkley in top 20. I think we stand up to any team
    As accumulators, yes.
    But if simply accumulating the ball was all that mattered we'd be in the top 4.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As accumulators, yes.
    But if simply accumulating the ball was all that mattered we'd be in the top 4.
    It's why Brisbane are so impressive - they never ever burn the ball and get so much more done with so much less possession.

This isn't to say that I think what Macrae/Dunkley/Hunter do is mere accumulation, but it is also the reason that Bont is a better player than them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Are you able to give me a percentage figure on how arbitrary those figures you came up with are?
    Are you suggesting that after 200 hours of practising someone like Hunter could not improve their kicking?

Even Olympic champions have personal training to detect and remove small faults that develop.

OK, let’s assume that the Dogs need longer. Give them 400 hours.

By next season I expect all players to be able to kick 9 out of 10 goals from the 50 metre arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Are you suggesting that after 200 hours of practising someone like Hunter could not improve their kicking?

Even Olympic champions have personal training to detect and remove small faults that develop.

OK, let’s assume that the Dogs need longer. Give them 400 hours.

By next season I expect all players to be able to kick 9 out of 10 goals from the 50 metre arc.
    200 hours would possibly result in some improvement. Depends on a few factors like how they’re practising and what guidance they get. 100% improvement means they’re literally twice as good as they are now as professional players with years of experience. A 10% improvement would probably be incredible. I have no idea how many hours it would take to get there or if it’s even possible/realistic for most players.

You also have to ask how long are these hours spread over and what’s the opportunity cost of investing more in kicking specifically?

As for kicking 9/10 goals from 50... can anyone do that? Literally anyone in the history of the game?

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Mofra's i'd even suggest GWS have a better midfield. Congillio, Taranto, Kelly, Ward, Hopper.

The closer we get to the end of the season the more frustrated I am getting. We should be playing finals.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to Mofra's i'd even suggest GWS have a better midfield. Congillio, Taranto, Kelly, Ward, Hopper.

The closer we get to the end of the season the more frustrated I am getting. We should be playing finals.
    Many teams could argue they’re better than the ladder says. The fact is, a long season usually balances things out.

If we’re good enough to be in the 8 at the end of the year, we will be. If we’re not, we shouldn’t be.

Losing because we make mistakes, even though we “could” have played better, doesn’t mean we deserve to be higher on the ladder.

It’s like the “honourable loss” but an “honourable season”...

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what? Taranto is 11th for disposals, then the rest fall away.

I am basing this on 2019, and Kelly and Ward haven't played.