Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It’s time for the Western Bulldogs to grow up

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't want to go hunting back through the archives BAD but what I can tell you is that Young needed to be dropped. But not because of his 'defensive' play...but because of his ball us.

He seemed 100% spooked with the ball in hand and simply would not kick it into the corridor...I seem to remember someone referring to a bad turnover from last year or something but there is no doubt it was in his head.

I am personally frustrated that we haven't played Roberts more but I think I am the only one...
    Not own your own there MJP. Roberts has some flaws but we should have used him a lot more. I'd be more than happy to keep him on the list for another season as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not own your own there MJP. Roberts has some flaws but we should have used him a lot more. I'd be more than happy to keep him on the list for another season as well.
    I can't see him staying I mean why would he? Surely another team will enquire I reckon Essendon will be keen if Daniher gets traded.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I can't see him staying I mean why would he? Surely another team will enquire I reckon Essendon will be keen if Daniher gets traded.
    Because he genuinely enjoys being at the club. If we put a decent contract in front of him and say he will be picked on his merits then I think he would be interested.

Now if we trade for a Keath or Tomlinson that might change things

Post Thanks / Like

Now it's 4 players or more competing for the mark and he is substantially less effective.

Nothing has changed in the last 2 years, Crozier, JJ, Daniel and now Duryea typically get the mid sized and smaller opponents and Wood is used as the 3rd tall and we have had that basic set-up albeit with different names over 3 years.
    Because the backline is undersized everyone is attempting to spoil, except for Crozier, whose goal is to take mark of the year.

So (usually) no one takes the mark, and there’s no one to crumb effectively, and there is no runner out wide to receive.

I never saw Boyd and Biggs try to outmark Hamling and Roberts (or Morris or Wood). They had confidence in each other and each had a defined role. And it worked.

The chaos now allows the opposition to get free and kick cleanly in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Because the backline is undersized everyone is attempting to spoil, except for Crozier, whose goal is to take mark of the year.

So (usually) no one takes the mark, and there’s no one to crumb effectively, and there is no runner out wide to receive.

I never saw Boyd and Biggs try to outmark Hamling and Roberts (or Morris or Wood). They had confidence in each other and each had a defined role. And it worked.

The chaos now allows the opposition to get free and kick cleanly in the forward line.
    I honestly don't get your dislike of Crozier. That's an absurd criticism.

Crozier's goal is to take A MARK, as evidenced by the fact (since you love numbers so much), that he has the 2nd highest intercept total of all players on our list (Behind Caleb Daniel) and is 4th for contested marks (Behind Naughton, Bontempelli and English, AKA our key forward, our best player and our number 1 ruck). He also has our highest disposal efficiency at 82%.

He's EASILY one of the most courageous players on our list and sits 5th for total one percenters.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Crozier has had an excellent season. He's been a more than solid addition for us

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think the effect is more than 20 seconds but how often did a ball get hacked forward and Wood jump across creating the 3rd man up contest and ultimately win that contest? Now it's 4 players or more competing for the mark and he is substantially less effective.

Nothing has changed in the last 2 years, Crozier, JJ, Daniel and now Duryea typically get the mid sized and smaller opponents and Wood is used as the 3rd tall and we have had that basic set-up albeit with different names over 3 years.

I know it's sort of taboo to suggest that he isn't playing well but to offer up counting spoils as a positive because he can't mark in packs this year as he could in 3rd man contests in previous years is just fluffing around the edges to avoid acknowledging he is no longer as effective. We need to face up to this.
    We simply can't play 3 tall defenders as often as we really need because Wood does not have the ball carrying abilities and particularly the skills of Crozier, JJ, Daniel and Duryea.

Why do you think Bevo moved him forward for a few games? In my opinion it was in an effort to revitalise the back line and turn him into a lock down 3rd tall forward.
    The games changes every year but I don't think his role has that much, he like many others he just need to adapt to a changing game.
    How is it taboo when you say it every week? Other posters offer up reasons for it and you choose to ignore them, for instance, they say he's playing deeper than he has previously, Wood himself has said so in direct quotes, but you say it isn't true.

Nobody's saying his form is great, it isn't, but it's serviceable and not to the point where he should be dropped. But, say if he was dropped, who would you have playing in his place and how would it help the team?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How is it taboo when you say it every week? Other posters offer up reasons for it and you choose to ignore them, for instance, they say he's playing deeper than he has previously, Wood himself has said so in direct quotes, but you say it isn't true.

Nobody's saying his form is great, it isn't, but it's serviceable and not to the point where he should be dropped. But, say if he was dropped, who would you have playing in his place and how would it help the team?
    I've challenged that consistently but even if that is remotely true doesn't he have to adapt like other players have to? If that is the reason for his form then we should be looking at a better replacement,
    As for his form being regarded as serviceable don't we need more from a captain? If he wasn't the captain I suspect we might have dropped him on form.

Have a look where he gets the majority of his possessions, and I've watched him closely this season, and it's not like the majority of them they are in the last line of defense

The excuses being offered up for his form aren't accurate in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I've challenged that consistently but even if that is remotely true doesn't he have to adapt like other players have to? If that is the reason for his form then we should be looking at a better replacement,
    As for his form being regarded as serviceable don't we need more from a captain? If he wasn't the captain I suspect we might have dropped him on form.

Have a look where he gets the majority of his possessions, and I've watched him closely this season, and it's not like the majority of them they are in the last line of defense

The excuses being offered up for his form aren't accurate in my opinion
    Of course he does, he just hasn't adapted as well as we'd like. I used the word serviceable because his form has been average. It's neutral, and perhaps we do want better than neutral from our captain but that doesn't mean he should be dropped. At the end of the season do we take the captaincy from him and let him concentrate on his own form as he ages? In my view yes, that would be the best thing for both Easton and the club, but we can't do that now.

Anyway aside from all of that, I'm yet to hear how placing him under more public scrutiny improves us and I'm sure his performances get reviewed without fear or favour each week and he is completely aware of what we want from him. I'm alos yet to hear who replaces him and preforms better in a backline with two very shaky pillars in Trengove and Cordy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Of course he does, he just hasn't adapted as well as we'd like. I used the word serviceable because his form has been average. It's neutral, and perhaps we do want better than neutral from our captain but that doesn't mean he should be dropped. At the end of the season do we take the captaincy from him and let him concentrate on his own form as he ages? In my view yes, that would be the best thing for both Easton and the club, but we can't do that now.

Anyway aside from all of that, I'm yet to hear how placing him under more public scrutiny improves us and I'm sure his performances get reviewed without fear or favour each week and he is completely aware of what we want from him. I'm alos yet to hear who replaces him and preforms better in a backline with two very shaky pillars in Trengove and Cordy.
    I think both Roberts and Lewis Young have deserved more of a chance this year especially when opposition teams have gone tall against us. The criticism of Young has been his skill level but is it that much worse than Woods? It's probably not as good but he's quicker and probably close to athletically comparable as Wood but hasn't been given many opportunities. In fairness he didn't make the most of them when he got them. Roberts has been solid and can still play at the senior level.
    I suspect Suckling might have been better placed to return to the back half as well. He's quick and of course his kicking skills from the back line would open up opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

Okaaaay , so Crozier is rubbish

Post Thanks / Like

I think both Roberts and Lewis Young have deserved more of a chance this year especially when opposition teams have gone tall against us. The criticism of Young has been his skill level but is it that much worse than Woods? It's probably not as good but he's quicker and probably close to athletically comparable as Wood but hasn't been given many opportunities. In fairness he didn't make the most of them when he got them. Roberts has been solid and can still play at the senior level.
    I suspect Suckling might have been better placed to return to the back half as well. He's quick and of course his kicking skills from the back line would open up opportunities.
    Lewis Young is still a work in progress but clearly in the club's plans. He's one month younger than Lachie Young and we're happy to consider him a pup - Lewie is 197/198cm and underdeveloped in a lot of aspects of his play. The fact he's even debuted already is a bonus.

I really want Keath from Adelaide. He intercepts the ball and uses it ok, still inexperienced due to his focus on cricket for so many years. He instantly becomes our no 2 KPD even if it does mean we are faced with making a hard call on whether Wood or Cordy plays as adding Keath means one of them misses out.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Lewis Young is still a work in progress but clearly in the club's plans. He's one month younger than Lachie Young and we're happy to consider him a pup - Lewie is 197/198cm and underdeveloped in a lot of aspects of his play. The fact he's even debuted already is a bonus.

I really want Keath from Adelaide. He intercepts the ball and uses it ok, still inexperienced due to his focus on cricket for so many years. He instantly becomes our no 2 KPD even if it does mean we are faced with making a hard call on whether Wood or Cordy plays as adding Keath means one of them misses out.
    I’m still bullish on Lewis Young. His game yesterday was great, 15 marks in swirly conditions. Just needs time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Keath would be a terrific addition for us.
    I suspect they would want a first rounder which would be way too much, our second round pick seems about his value but perhaps a sweetener would need to be added

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I honestly don't get your dislike of Crozier. That's an absurd criticism.

Crozier's goal is to take A MARK, as evidenced by the fact (since you love numbers so much), that he has the 2nd highest intercept total of all players on our list (Behind Caleb Daniel) and is 4th for contested marks (Behind Naughton, Bontempelli and English, AKA our key forward, our best player and our number 1 ruck). He also has our highest disposal efficiency at 82%.

He's EASILY one of the most courageous players on our list and sits 5th for total one percenters.
    I don’t dislike Crozier. I think he has improved significantly since he joined the team. As I have said a number of times, he tends to run and kick the ball and gives some momentum. All good. And I have the impression that he is more consistent with his games.

But, to ignore the fact that he has made errors is problematic.

Against Fremantle the first time his opponent kicked 5 goals because he attempted to jump over packs too often. That loss might still come back to haunt us.

Early in the season he was also kicking indiscriminately and the ball was turning over too often. One thing I have noticed lately is he is looking up the ground before he kicks and the team keeps possession more. Part of why I said he has improved significantly.

17. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post