Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It’s time for the Western Bulldogs to grow up

It's the role he plays now that has exposed him. He plays that role because he has to.

He's good at helping out in the air and on the intercept, he's not good at one on one. Funnily, Crozier who now plays Easton's role isn't that flash one on one either but is excellent at helping out in the air - at 185cm. Sure you could choose between the two if we had more cattle, but we don't, so the MC clearly believes having both in the side with Easton playing a modified role is the best scenario.

Both would be victims if played in the role Easton is currently played in, given our poor structure. Not for one moment do I think Easton is playing as well as he has in the past in his favoured position, or as well as he could be in his current role but there's reasons aside from form for that.

He's five centimetres taller than Wallis, four shorter than Jacko and Morris and five shorter than Bont. He is being asked to play out of position week in week out because of personnel constraints - both who we have and who we don't - in a different role often on players who have a height advantage. Teams are also smart enough to exploit it, and that makes it worse.

Those who want more scrutiny on him can suit themselves, he's playing a role that isn't suited to him because he has to. There's genuinely nobody on the list who could do it better. This talk kind of reminds me of the Gia bashing in previous days, a guy plays a role for the club because he's the only one who can and if he didn't the side would be worse for it, but gets kicked in the process.

If it wouldn't be so serious I'd like to see him taken out of the team just to show how much worse it could be. I'd love to see whoever replaces him get into Trengove after stupid free kicks to get him back on track, or into Cordy after his defencive lapses (largely because he's not playing the role Easton currently is - ironically) multiple times throughout games. It would be hilarious.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks azabob, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's the role he plays now that has exposed him. He plays that role because he has to.

He's good at helping out in the air and on the intercept, he's not good at one on one. Funnily, Crozier who now plays Easton's role isn't that flash one on one either but is excellent at helping out in the air - at 185cm. Sure you could choose between the two if we had more cattle, but we don't, so the MC clearly believes having both in the side with Easton playing a modified role is the best scenario.

Both would be victims if played in the role Easton is currently played in, given our poor structure. Not for one moment do I think Easton is playing as well as he has in the past in his favoured position, or as well as he could be in his current role but there's reasons aside from form for that.

He's five centimetres taller than Wallis, four shorter than Jacko and Morris and five shorter than Bont. He is being asked to play out of position week in week out because of personnel constraints - both who we have and who we don't - in a different role often on players who have a height advantage. Teams are also smart enough to exploit it, and that makes it worse.

Those who want more scrutiny on him can suit themselves, he's playing a role that isn't suited to him because he has to. There's genuinely nobody on the list who could do it better. This talk kind of reminds me of the Gia bashing in previous days, a guy plays a role for the club because he's the only one who can and if he didn't the side would be worse for it, but gets kicked in the process.

If it wouldn't be so serious I'd like to see him taken out of the team just to show how much worse it could be. I'd love to see whoever replaces him get into Trengove after stupid free kicks to get him back on track, or into Cordy after his defensive lapses (largely because he's not playing the role Easton currently is - ironically) multiple times throughout games. It would be hilarious.
    This sums up Easton to a tee.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood is being asked to play out of position week in week out because of personnel constraints - both who we have and who we don't - in a different role often on players who have a height advantage. Teams are also smart enough to exploit it, and that makes it worse.

If it wouldn't be so serious I'd like to see him taken out of the team just to show how much worse it could be. I'd love to see whoever replaces him get into Trengove after stupid free kicks to get him back on track, or into Cordy after his defencive lapses (largely because he's not playing the role Easton currently is - ironically) multiple times throughout games. It would be hilarious.
    Cordy is also playing in the wrong position. The backline has done surprisingly well but they operate with no room for error.

There is a 200 cm KPP missing from the backline and that is putting everything out of whack. The problems cascade down to the other end.

5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How is the role this year different to last year or the one before that?

Due to the 666 rule he can't zone off as effectively as in previous year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think it is in some ways misleading - how many of those contests would be against players his own height? In the first two rounds he was playing as a KPP despite giving up 12+ cms to every opponent.
    Yeah I don't think it's fair to judge him so harshly, sure he hasn't been the leaping leap frog intercepter we have seen in the past, but as Mofra has said he has had to adjust his role.

In 2016 we had Roberts, Hamling, Morris and Adams rotating across those roles, allowing Wood to play his natural role.
    In 2019 we have Cordy and Trengove, who are clearly not first choice kpp's. Trengove a backup ruckman/utility, and Cordy a second string defender who is down on confidence due to having to step up to first choice.
    Wood has had to do the same and it is affecting his performances no doubt, however I still feel he is being serviceable and if we can get more support back there next year, he might also improve.

8. Likes Mofra, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Wood has had to do the same and it is affecting his performances no doubt, however I still feel he is being serviceable and if we can get more support back there next year, he might also improve.
    The other issue is that Wood really does rely on his athleticism to compete as an AFL footballer.
    When that starts to wane his influence will also wane substantially. There will be a time in 2020 or 2021 where the MC will needs to make a tough call.
    I really believe Lachie Young can play more senior football next year. He is still a pup but I like the kid. If we lose both Wood and Suckling that is a lot of experience to lose in one hit though. Makes Trengove & JJ instantly more valuable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How is the role this year different to last year or the one before that?

Due to the 666 rule he can't zone off as effectively as in previous year
    Whilst I agree to a certain, the 666 is only on for 20 seconds or so and therefore doesn't effect Wood that much.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lewis played the previous week and there was not one good word from anyone on this forum on how he played against GC and subsequently he was dropped.

Trengove should have played against the Pies, but again, we don't know internally whether he was ready to play.
    I don't want to go hunting back through the archives BAD but what I can tell you is that Young needed to be dropped. But not because of his 'defensive' play...but because of his ball us.

He seemed 100% spooked with the ball in hand and simply would not kick it into the corridor...I seem to remember someone referring to a bad turnover from last year or something but there is no doubt it was in his head.

I am personally frustrated that we haven't played Roberts more but I think I am the only one...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't want to go hunting back through the archives BAD but what I can tell you is that Young needed to be dropped. But not because of his 'defensive' play...but because of his ball us.

He seemed 100% spooked with the ball in hand and simply would not kick it into the corridor...I seem to remember someone referring to a bad turnover from last year or something but there is no doubt it was in his head.

I am personally frustrated that we haven't played Roberts more but I think I am the only one...
    Fletch himself might be a touch miffed...

14. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I agree. He was asked to go back to the VFL and work on it. Still only 20 years old and time is on his side. On Roberts, well I guess he is gonski.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the GWS game in 2017 that got into his head. There was one particular howler where GWS was pressing up and we were kicking it laterally to spread them and he picked one of them out beautifully.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Yeah I don't think it's fair to judge him so harshly, sure he hasn't been the leaping leap frog intercepter we have seen in the past, but as Mofra has said he has had to adjust his role.

In 2016 we had Roberts, Hamling, Morris and Adams rotating across those roles, allowing Wood to play his natural role.
    In 2019 we have Cordy and Trengove, who are clearly not first choice kpp's. Trengove a backup ruckman/utility, and Cordy a second string defender who is down on confidence due to having to step up to first choice.
    At the end of 2016 we had two genuine tall players Roberts and Hamling spoiling opposition forwards. They were not trying to accumulate possessions, they knocked the ball down to JJ, Boyd and Biggs who would run and kick up to the centre line quickly. That allowed Cordy, Picken, Smith, Stringer and Dickson to get lots of goals before defenders swamped them. Morris and Wood were able to intercept and even Wood got some goals.

All that system and movement has been lost. I don’t see any of that play these days.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the GWS game in 2017 that got into his head. There was one particular howler where GWS was pressing up and we were kicking it laterally to spread them and he picked one of them out beautifully.
    Somebody told me Young was playing on Patton that day. If so, it was never going to end well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Somebody told me Young was playing on Patton that day. If so, it was never going to end well.
    He did and it didn’t

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whilst I agree to a certain, the 666 is only on for 20 seconds or so and therefore doesn't effect Wood that much.
    I really think the effect is more than 20 seconds but how often did a ball get hacked forward and Wood jump across creating the 3rd man up contest and ultimately win that contest? Now it's 4 players or more competing for the mark and he is substantially less effective.

Nothing has changed in the last 2 years, Crozier, JJ, Daniel and now Duryea typically get the mid sized and smaller opponents and Wood is used as the 3rd tall and we have had that basic set-up albeit with different names over 3 years.

I know it's sort of taboo to suggest that he isn't playing well but to offer up counting spoils as a positive because he can't mark in packs this year as he could in 3rd man contests in previous years is just fluffing around the edges to avoid acknowledging he is no longer as effective. We need to face up to this.
    We simply can't play 3 tall defenders as often as we really need because Wood does not have the ball carrying abilities and particularly the skills of Crozier, JJ, Daniel and Duryea.

Why do you think Bevo moved him forward for a few games? In my opinion it was in an effort to revitalise the back line and turn him into a lock down 3rd tall forward.
    The games changes every year but I don't think his role has that much, he like many others he just need to adapt to a changing game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"