Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    link



    Since their premiership in 2016, the Western Bulldogs have been one of the more curious cases in football.

    Back then a young and hungry group was seemingly on the verge of a dynasty, but as we know that's not how things have panned out.

    For a number of reasons, there's been a high turnover of players, with the team of 2019 barely resembling the one that stepped out on grand final day three years ago.

    In fact, just 10 of that 22 are still playing regularly at Whitten Oval.

    But while the drop off after that day was dramatic, the Dogs could rise again just as swiftly.

    I believe they have most of the ingredients and, perhaps more importantly, the maturity for a more sustained period of success.

    There's no reason why they can't be a contender next year.

    Tenth on the ladder, with a below-average percentage of 95.8, it will probably be tough for the Dogs to sneak into the September picture this season.

    But with Essendon looming on Saturday night, they're not without a chance.

    And, if nothing else, the final three rounds provide this group with the perfect opportunity to sell itself to any free agents or trade targets they might chase in the off-season.

    We know they have a war chest after the early retirement of Tom Boyd due to personal reasons, and Liam Picken because of concussion.

    The fact they have been two key men down for much of the season further highlights how impressive their season has been.

    Following the departure of Joel Hamling at the end of 2016 and the injury struggles of veteran Dale Morris, a key defender must again be their No. 1 target.

    Magpie Darcy Moore's name has been bandied about, but because of his history of hamstring injuries he's also one to be wary of throwing big money at.

    In Aaron Naughton they have one of the most exciting young players in the game and a guy who they can build a forward line around.

    He's not afraid to fly from five deep, and the confidence he already has as a 19-year-old is incredible.

    Naughton still needs some added support but get another pre-season into Josh Schache and he might be the man, alongside a more aggressive third tall like Billy Gowers.

    Still, clearly the key to the Dogs' resurgence has been their midfield.

    Marcus Bontempelli has almost flown under the radar while the likes of Carlton's Patrick Cripps and West Coast's Elliott Yeo, or Geelong's Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Dustin Martin get most of the attention.

    But he's every bit as good as all of those guys with his ability to win the footy at the coalface, before spreading and breaking the lines.

    Jack Macrae is prolific, "Libba" is "Libba" again, and Josh Dunkley has become a crucial inside player, ensuring the Dogs have found the right mix around the ball.

    In the ruck, Tim English still has a lot of developing to do and still faces challenges against the game's best ruckmen, but he's also getting more exposure than Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy were at the same age.

    He should really enjoy taking on Zac Clarke this weekend, in turn allowing his midfielders to play more off him, rather than trying to shark the taps of the opposition ruckman.

    It's because of the Dogs' midfield strength they should prove too strong for the Bombers, with a settled and healthy on-ball brigade against a more makeshift set-up that Essendon have been forced to put on the park because of injuries.

    Much credit must go to Luke Beveridge for the way he's reinvented this group. The manic brand of 2016 has been tweaked and again stacks up against the best teams.

    Remarkably, what's let the Bulldogs down this year has been their performances against so-called lesser opposition.

    While they've beaten Geelong, Richmond and the Brisbane Lions, they have lost to the likes of Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda.

    As it stands, the Dogs are probably playing better footy than two or three sides in the eight, and if they do happen to sneak in, they could cause a few headaches.

    September or not, this season still appears to be the perfect platform for 2020. And, come the trade period, the Dogs might be one of the destination clubs.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    link



    Since their premiership in 2016, the Western Bulldogs have been one of the more curious cases in football.

    Back then a young and hungry group was seemingly on the verge of a dynasty, but as we know that's not how things have panned out.

    For a number of reasons, there's been a high turnover of players, with the team of 2019 barely resembling the one that stepped out on grand final day three years ago.

    In fact, just 10 of that 22 are still playing regularly at Whitten Oval.

    But while the drop off after that day was dramatic, the Dogs could rise again just as swiftly.

    I believe they have most of the ingredients and, perhaps more importantly, the maturity for a more sustained period of success.

    There's no reason why they can't be a contender next year.

    Tenth on the ladder, with a below-average percentage of 95.8, it will probably be tough for the Dogs to sneak into the September picture this season.

    But with Essendon looming on Saturday night, they're not without a chance.

    And, if nothing else, the final three rounds provide this group with the perfect opportunity to sell itself to any free agents or trade targets they might chase in the off-season.

    We know they have a war chest after the early retirement of Tom Boyd due to personal reasons, and Liam Picken because of concussion.

    The fact they have been two key men down for much of the season further highlights how impressive their season has been.

    Following the departure of Joel Hamling at the end of 2016 and the injury struggles of veteran Dale Morris, a key defender must again be their No. 1 target.

    Magpie Darcy Moore's name has been bandied about, but because of his history of hamstring injuries he's also one to be wary of throwing big money at.

    In Aaron Naughton they have one of the most exciting young players in the game and a guy who they can build a forward line around.

    He's not afraid to fly from five deep, and the confidence he already has as a 19-year-old is incredible.

    Naughton still needs some added support but get another pre-season into Josh Schache and he might be the man, alongside a more aggressive third tall like Billy Gowers.

    Still, clearly the key to the Dogs' resurgence has been their midfield.

    Marcus Bontempelli has almost flown under the radar while the likes of Carlton's Patrick Cripps and West Coast's Elliott Yeo, or Geelong's Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Dustin Martin get most of the attention.

    But he's every bit as good as all of those guys with his ability to win the footy at the coalface, before spreading and breaking the lines.

    Jack Macrae is prolific, "Libba" is "Libba" again, and Josh Dunkley has become a crucial inside player, ensuring the Dogs have found the right mix around the ball.

    In the ruck, Tim English still has a lot of developing to do and still faces challenges against the game's best ruckmen, but he's also getting more exposure than Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy were at the same age.

    He should really enjoy taking on Zac Clarke this weekend, in turn allowing his midfielders to play more off him, rather than trying to shark the taps of the opposition ruckman.

    It's because of the Dogs' midfield strength they should prove too strong for the Bombers, with a settled and healthy on-ball brigade against a more makeshift set-up that Essendon have been forced to put on the park because of injuries.

    Much credit must go to Luke Beveridge for the way he's reinvented this group. The manic brand of 2016 has been tweaked and again stacks up against the best teams.

    Remarkably, what's let the Bulldogs down this year has been their performances against so-called lesser opposition.

    While they've beaten Geelong, Richmond and the Brisbane Lions, they have lost to the likes of Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda.

    As it stands, the Dogs are probably playing better footy than two or three sides in the eight, and if they do happen to sneak in, they could cause a few headaches.

    September or not, this season still appears to be the perfect platform for 2020. And, come the trade period, the Dogs might be one of the destination clubs.
    I hope all our trade targets are reading this. Get paid really well yo come and play finals. Sweet offer.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope all our trade targets are reading this. Get paid really well yo come and play finals. Sweet offer.
    As Carey says - Destination Club
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    3,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope all our trade targets are reading this. Get paid really well yo come and play finals. Sweet offer.
    Perfect position to impress Tippa, Tomlinson and Keath over the next 3 weeks.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Perfect position to impress Tippa, Tomlinson and Keath over the next 3 weeks.
    Yep. As per one of my long winded posts yesterday, this is what we are really selling. Better money than other clubs is the cherry on the top. Those three guys you mention may be playing against us in the next three weeks. If we can impress them on field, and give them a glimpse of what 2020 would look like improving our side with their talent, that might be helpful too. If we can build the buzz that Carey is selling from now to the trade period, there's no reason to me that we can't secure 3 or 4 players we've targeted with our salary cap and picks.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mount Martha, Victoria
    Posts
    1,478
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. As per one of my long winded posts yesterday, this is what we are really selling. Better money than other clubs is the cherry on the top. Those three guys you mention may be playing against us in the next three weeks. If we can impress them on field, and give them a glimpse of what 2020 would look like improving our side with their talent, that might be helpful too. If we can build the buzz that Carey is selling from now to the trade period, there's no reason to me that we can't secure 3 or 4 players we've targeted with our salary cap and picks.
    Bont having a quite work in their ear while tearing the game apart would also help. ��
    BB.

    Barking Bulldogs with Bite in 2019.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    I find it hilarious how the writer says the Bont has flown under the radar, he obviously hasn’t read the players awards, he is leading one.
    Please can’t they do their homework just once.
    Bring back the biff

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I find it hilarious how the writer says the Bont has flown under the radar, he obviously hasn’t read the players awards, he is leading one.
    Please can’t they do their homework just once.
    Players awards?
    They come after one,
    They come after all,
    They can't handle all,
    Lets go....

    Bob Murphy

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Players awards?
    Yeah I think it’s the AFLPA
    Bring back the biff

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yeah I think it’s the AFLPA
    AFLCA - Coaches award.

    Bevo has a man crush on the Bont.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    AFLCA - Coaches award.

    Bevo has a man crush on the Bont.
    Hardly under rated then
    Bring back the biff

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,797
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    AFLCA - Coaches award.

    Bevo has a man crush on the Bont.
    Don't we all
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't we all
    Especially if you were his coach. He's a get out of jail card for a senior coach.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    8,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Perfect position to impress Tippa, Tomlinson and Keath over the next 3 weeks.
    Keath alone would have me very happy next year. If we got Jack Martin too I'd be doing cartwheels.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why the Dogs are poised to rise

    Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Hardly under rated then
    I see what Carey is saying. He is not saying he is under rated. He is simply saying that he hasn't been on everyone lips, in terms of performance, as the others. Probably as we aren't a 'big' club and we don't garner the same media attention as the other players mentioned.

  17. Likes azabob, bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •