Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The plan is for Cummins to play all 5 tests, Pattinson to play the 1st, 3rd and 5th tests. Don't write off Neser playing a test either
    If Neser plays a test it will be Headlingly or Old Trafford. The Oval is made for Cummins, Starc and Patterson!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    A lot of the commentary seems to suggest Bancroft is the one in trouble but for the life of me I can't think why. Neither is in the sort of form to retain their spot off their own bat, and Bancroft at the very least offers something extra in the field.
    And he has soaked up a lot of deliveries as well

My gut feel is that Bancroft is the one must under the gun though

Labuschagne is most likely to come in if Smith doesn't recover

I'm no concussion expert but we must have got the diagnose very wrong to send Smith out after he copped that knock. I can't see how they can risk him given the short break
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

And he has soaked up a lot of deliveries as well

My gut feel is that Bancroft is the one must under the gun though

Labuschagne is most likely to come in if Smith doesn't recover

I'm no concussion expert but we must have got the diagnose very wrong to send Smith out after he copped that knock. I can't see how they can risk him given the short break
    I'm no concussion expert either but to be fair to medicos everywhere, the science and diagnosis seems to be so inexact.

Smiths symptoms worsened overnight. That can happen with concussion

Post Thanks / Like

I don't for one minute think it was a catch but it's a long bow to accuse him of cheating
    He made a mistake
    You've played a lot of cricket. Do you reckon that you ever got one of those bump ball catches wrong in your own mind? I always knew instinctively if it was a fair catch. I fielded in the slips (and at short leg when my reflexes got worse) and I reckon I always knew if one of the other slippers or anyone close in claimed a bump ball, not that I ever said anything.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You've played a lot of cricket. Do you reckon that you ever got one of those bump ball catches wrong in your own mind? I always knew instinctively if it was a fair catch. I fielded in the slips (and at short leg when my reflexes got worse) and I reckon I always knew if one of the other slippers or anyone close in claimed a bump ball, not that I ever said anything.
    I agree. You know. There is a different feel in your hands to the scoop catch and the bump ball catch. Its a lot to do with either you fingers getting jammed into the ground or he fleshy bit of your palm feeling the ball. If its a clean catch at that level it should be all about the fingers and less about the palms. That ball goes into the palms, bit the fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

What do people think of the concept of the concussion sub?

I was wondering though what would have happened had Australia batted first and Smith been hit in he 2nd innings. Could we have subbed him out of the game for say Mitchell Starc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

I was wondering though what would have happened had Australia batted first and Smith been hit in he 2nd innings. Could we have subbed him out of the game for say Mitchell Starc?
    No. Warnie was going on and on about it, seemingly not getting it. I think it was Nasser who got it through it must be a like player, bat for bat. Bowl for bowl. Then Warnie starts going on about if it's a right handed, does it need to be a right hander...

I guess thanks to Warnie's idiocy, and Nasser, we know the answer now. Really, really well.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. A sensible rule change.

It's been in first class cricket for a while hasn't it?
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can't recall anything close to it at the senior level and I probably had some dubious ones at the junior cricket level though
    I just can't believe a player like Joe Root thought he would cheat especially knowing that the camera's can catch him out
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall anything close to it at the senior level and I probably had some dubious ones at the junior cricket level though
    I just can't believe a player like Joe Root thought he would cheat especially knowing that the camera's can catch him out
    I called him a cheat because he very well knew that wasn't a catch. But, what is worse, the umpire didn't overturn it either.

It is just a shame for Labuchagne, out on 59 and he could have made more as he is fighting for a spot.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We've (my mates and me) been calling bump balls in cricket and footy (marks that hit the ground and bounce back into a players hands without the umpire noticing) Steve Waugh catches for more than a decade now. Probably closer to 20 years. Greg Chappell scooped a few up at slip too. And I can't remember an Indian player calling a batsman back. In fact the only two players I can remember doing it were Rodney Marsh in the centenary test and Adam Gilchrist a couple of times, much to Steve Waugh's chagrin.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I called him a cheat because he very well knew that wasn't a catch. But, what is worse, the umpire didn't overturn it either.

It is just a shame for Labuchagne, out on 59 and he could have made more as he is fighting for a spot.
    So you know for a fact that he was fully aware that it wasn't a clean catch?

Post Thanks / Like

So you know for a fact that he was fully aware that it wasn't a clean catch?
    Any professional would have known the way the ball landed and then up into his hand. The guy is a cheat.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Any professional would have known the way the ball landed and then up into his hand. The guy is a cheat.
    I know your invested now in the whole cheating aspect and you will never let it go but I just don't agree that he is a cheat. Maybe he did but I don't think the evidence is there that he clearly cheated. He's clearly made a mistake though

Post Thanks / Like

If Neser plays a test it will be Headlingly or Old Trafford. The Oval is made for Cummins, Starc and Patterson!
    Agreed, I think it will be Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood though. For some reason we seem to have lost faith in Starc because of his economy rate