Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Right, after turning Fortress Edgebaston into a Lyon's Den, the action moves to Lords, the home of cricket.

    Typically the Aussies record here is pretty good, but a new groundsman has been making this more of a seaming wicket than the batting paradise it usually is. Weather in London has been unsettled. Bit of rain about and I think the test will be rain affected, especially on day 2 and 3.

    England have already dropped Moeen Ali and Anderson is out for Archer.

    Australia are tempted to go in with an unchanged side, though I suspect they may swing a late bowling change depending on the pitch, possibly Pattison for Hazelwood.

  2. Thanks lemmon, Doc26 thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    5,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Great writeup, thanks Fredi.

    Agree that they'll want to find a place in the side for Hazelwood. I suspect it may be for Siddle, but it's a tough call.

    Probably last chance saloon for Bancroft too. I'd suggest he needs at least a half ton to keep his spot over Harris.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    I've read Hazlewood for Pattinson, but that would give our attack a sameness that I'm not too confident in. Pattinson/Starc and Hazlewood/Siddle should be competing for separate places.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Great writeup, thanks Fredi.

    Agree that they'll want to find a place in the side for Hazelwood. I suspect it may be for Siddle, but it's a tough call.

    Probably last chance saloon for Bancroft too. I'd suggest he needs at least a half ton to keep his spot over Harris.
    I was listening to Kerry O'Keeffe the other day who mentioned that they really want Bancroft in the side because the added bonus is his bat pad fielding especially to Lyon. He tended to think we have struggled in that area while Bancroft was suspended
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was listening to Kerry O'Keeffe the other day who mentioned that they really want Bancroft in the side because the added bonus is his bat pad fielding especially to Lyon. He tended to think we have struggled in that area while Bancroft was suspended
    Interesting observation. Would have thought the right/ left handed combination would be a factor as well. Personally think that Harris should get the gig as he has done ok as an opener to date. Not sure of his record in England though.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Interesting observation. Would have thought the right/ left handed combination would be a factor as well. Personally think that Harris should get the gig as he has done ok as an opener to date. Not sure of his record in England though.
    The other theory is that the next time we tour the sub continent then Labuschagne also comes into the mix because he is also an excellent close in fieldsman as awell as being a hand spin bowling option.
    Twodogs has been banging about the importanance of fielding standards and especially close in fieldsman including those in the slips for years. I think it's now in the selectors considerations
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The other theory is that the next time we tour the sub continent then Labuschagne also comes into the mix because he is also an excellent close in fieldsman as awell as being a hand spin bowling option.
    Twodogs has been banging about the importanance of fielding standards and especially close in fieldsman including those in the slips for years. I think it's now in the selectors considerations
    Indeed I have. A dropped catch or misfield has a run penalty that the batsmen then have to make up for. If you drop a catch when a batsman is on 15 and he makes a 100 then that's 85 runs you owe the team even before you go into credit.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  9. Likes Mofra liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Pattinson out, Starc and Hazlewood into the 12.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    4,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pattinson out, Starc and Hazlewood into the 12.
    Hopefully they are just being super cautious with James and we will see him again in the next test.

    Surely it has to be Starc? I'm not sure I want to see Hazlewood and Siddle in the same bowling attack.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    ext teHopefully they are just being super cautious with James and we will see him again in the nst.

    Surely it has to be Starc? I'm not sure I want to see Hazlewood and Siddle in the same bowling attack.
    That is the thinking. Headingly is next and it starts 3 days after the Lords test finishes.

    The problem with Starc is he bleeds runs and when the ball gets old is a liability. The whole strategy is about slowing the English scoring rate rather than chasing wickets. With the English batting line up having Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow in the top 7, none of these guys are going to be content to let the ball go. Hence by denying them runs you frustrate the out. It then doesn't matter of |Root scores runs, because the others will be gone cheaply. Starc simply doesn't fit into that strategy.

    a good example was Rory Burns on day 3. He took 90 minutes to get out and moved his overnight score from 125 to 132. His hundred was so slow it didn't hurt significantly Australia. I would be happy for him to make a ton at a strike rate of .35 every test match, because it simply bats England out of the game.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Also, raining here in London. Looks like a wet miserable day so I suspect there will be very little play whcih is a bummer sime I am heading to Lords......Oh well a day of drinking!

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seddon
    Posts
    5,405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    My old man is headed to all 5 days.....hopefully he sees some cricket!

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Warragul
    Posts
    4,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    That is the thinking. Headingly is next and it starts 3 days after the Lords test finishes.

    The problem with Starc is he bleeds runs and when the ball gets old is a liability. The whole strategy is about slowing the English scoring rate rather than chasing wickets. With the English batting line up having Roy, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow in the top 7, none of these guys are going to be content to let the ball go. Hence by denying them runs you frustrate the out. It then doesn't matter of |Root scores runs, because the others will be gone cheaply. Starc simply doesn't fit into that strategy.

    a good example was Rory Burns on day 3. He took 90 minutes to get out and moved his overnight score from 125 to 132. His hundred was so slow it didn't hurt significantly Australia. I would be happy for him to make a ton at a strike rate of .35 every test match, because it simply bats England out of the game.
    Looks like you were spot on Fredi with Langer confirming Hazlewood to play over Starc due to his greater control. Has also said that Pattinson will almost certainly play in the third test so it may be difficult for Starc to get back in at all if the others bowl well and stay fit.

    Hopefully the rain stays away now.

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Looks like you were spot on Fredi with Langer confirming Hazlewood to play over Starc due to his greater control. Has also said that Pattinson will almost certainly play in the third test so it may be difficult for Starc to get back in at all if the others bowl well and stay fit.

    Hopefully the rain stays away now.
    Having lost Day 1 to rain and with days 3 and 4 threatened with interruption, I actually would play Starc, as I think the game is going to come down to wickets and hoping that Lyon can work magic on day 4/5 is not realistic. This pitch is not going to age and will be a day 2/3 pitch come Sunday. Its a risk, but if Starc bowls well and gets 2 or 3 early wickets, it would set Australia up nicely. I'm a bit concerned that Langer felt the need to announce the team as to me the weather changes things.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Second Ashes Test, Lords

    Good start by Hazlewood with wickets of Roy and Root.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •