Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 49 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Jon Ralph saying Wallis 'expected' to re-sign
    Good for the leadership at the club. Bad for his career.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Good for the leadership at the club. Bad for his career.
    I'd be happy to see Wallis stay with us, and if need be, transition into an assistant's role at the end of next year. I think if he was going to move at high value it would have been at the end of last year, and I suspect that there's probably little interest in him in the market given he turns 29 at the end of this month.

If I was on the MC and making a case for him to get a game next year it would be as a forward pocket who goes into our centre bounce set up during rotations where our better clearance players are either off, or struggling to quell opposition ruck dominance which looks an issue we'll again have to deal with next year (personally I'd like this to be something West was engaged to do, and Garcia into the future).

Whilst he's not great on the spread he has a history of high tackle numbers and elite hands. Of anyone on our list who has stoppage experience over a long time, he's somebody who I am 100% confident (even more so than Libba) would sacrifice absolutely everything to stay on the defencive side of an opponent to stop the forward run that exposes us. And, if on the ground fighting for the ball either neutralise it, or find someone with elite hands if he was able to rather than give it up.

But that ain't going to happen. We'll continue to run with Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunks, Libba and Treloar and unless one or two of these guys have a complete change in personality, we'll continue to see the same issue rear its ugly head when it matters most.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes bulldogtragic, boydogs, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Jon Ralph saying Wallis 'expected' to re-sign
    No suiters would leave him no alternative options.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis lack of burst speed and pace of the game has a few ahead of him in various roles such as a tagger, wing or fwd pocket

He was a gun at junior level, with him and Libba racking up huge numbers in the midfield.

I really feel for him. If was playing before the prior opportunity rule, he would have played 200 games by now.

I would see one of the bottom 4 sides a good fit for him in terms of maturity and leadership. Carlton, Suns, North and Collingwood are ideal candidates. Unfortunately for him its not what they see.

Interesting, Gibbons was delisted by Carlton after they got in 2 mids in Cerra and Hewitt. They don't see him as a midfielder, eventhough he claims to have played there alot in VFL. I guess its a big jump to be in the AFL midfield.

Not a bad thing he stays, as he could be a one club player. You cannot discount the leadership he brings to the playing group.

You need Lieutenants in a group, helping the captain with order and being around to support the group.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd be happy to see Wallis stay with us, and if need be, transition into an assistant's role at the end of next year. I think if he was going to move at high value it would have been at the end of last year, and I suspect that there's probably little interest in him in the market given he turns 29 at the end of this month.

If I was on the MC and making a case for him to get a game next year it would be as a forward pocket who goes into our centre bounce set up during rotations where our better clearance players are either off, or struggling to quell opposition ruck dominance which looks an issue we'll again have to deal with next year (personally I'd like this to be something West was engaged to do, and Garcia into the future).

Whilst he's not great on the spread he has a history of high tackle numbers and elite hands. Of anyone on our list who has stoppage experience over a long time, he's somebody who I am 100% confident (even more so than Libba) would sacrifice absolutely everything to stay on the defencive side of an opponent to stop the forward run that exposes us. And, if on the ground fighting for the ball either neutralise it, or find someone with elite hands if he was able to rather than give it up.

But that ain't going to happen. We'll continue to run with Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunks, Libba and Treloar and unless one or two of these guys have a complete change in personality, we'll continue to see the same issue rear its ugly head when it matters most.
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if Bevo sold him on that idea. Even earlier at Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we envisage Wallis getting a game at all next year?

I mean he scraped together 6 games this year and wasn't really considered at any point once we had something resembling a full squad to choose from, doesn't really fit a role we want our forwards to play in and hasn't even entered our midfield mix.

I like him and he is clearly a good guy to have around but does he need an AFL contract to do that? It would appear that nobody else is interested in the slightest.

I'd be ok with giving him a one year contract i guess if we considered him a chance of being in our best 22, but we would be optimistic at best to give him more than that and if he isn't going to play then what's the point?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Do we envisage Wallis getting a game at all next year?

I mean he scraped together 6 games this year and wasn't really considered at any point once we had something resembling a full squad to choose from, doesn't really fit a role we want our forwards to play in and hasn't even entered our midfield mix.

I like him and he is clearly a good guy to have around but does he need an AFL contract to do that? It would appear that nobody else is interested in the slightest.

I'd be ok with giving him a one year contract i guess if we considered him a chance of being in our best 22, but we would be optimistic at best to give him more than that and if he isn't going to play then what's the point?
    If we have to fill our list spots with guys like Cavarra and Hayes, then I would absolutely rather Wallis than them.

None of them are realistic chances to play, well Wallis would get a few games I reckon, but he's a great guy and a solid citizen and would always be a good example to those bottom end guys.

If he does get interest elsewhere then good for him, but if not then I definitely want him in our squad.
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    If we have to fill our list spots with guys like Cavarra and Hayes, then I would absolutely rather Wallis than them.
    If thats the choice then clearly sign up Wallis, but I was dead against retaining either of Cavarra or Hayes for this season because we have proven we just aren't interested in playing them, and don't see why we can't cut all three.

Post Thanks / Like

If thats the choice then clearly sign up Wallis, but I was dead against retaining either of Cavarra or Hayes for this season because we have proven we just aren't interested in playing them, and don't see why we can't cut all three.
    Nominally I agree but there's always going to be guys on the tail end of your list that aren't going to be regular senior players.

Retaining Wallis maintains some , I dunno the right word, integrity. His family has given a lot to our club and although there's little room for sentiment any more, little doesn't mean none.

14. Likes soupman, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nominally I agree but there's always going to be guys on the tail end of your list that aren't going to be regular senior players.

Retaining Wallis maintains some , I dunno the right word, integrity. His family has given a lot to our club and although there's little room for sentiment any more, little doesn't mean none.
    Yeah I'm fine with that. Well argued. But only because it's Mitch.

16. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm fine with that. Well argued. But only because it's Mitch.
    Cheers, I can't think of any other player in Mitch's place that I'd even consider making the argument for.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, I can't think of any other player in Mitch's place that I'd even consider making the argument for.
    He is great with mentoring young players like VDM. I am more than happy seeing him stay.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Almost everyone at the time View Post
    I'm surprised to hear he's butchering it, he's normally really clean with his foot use, but his hands let him down sometimes.

All jokes aside, I've never heard anything more stupid in my life. If the club puts Boyd. M. in the backline I'll pretty much have to take a trek during business hours down Footscray road from West Melbourne and physically assault all involved!
    Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013.
    Who drops out as HBFs to fit him in? Williams, Dale, Daniel or Duryea?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Who drops out as HBFs to fit him in? Williams, Dale, Daniel or Duryea?
    I don’t think he replaces anyone in the 22, but with no suitors coming for him I wouldn’t mind seeing him tried in the role at VFL level and it becomes another break glass option if needed.

He obviously adds value to the group in a leadership/great bloke capacity, but there are some that have seemingly written him off as even a depth player that can be called on.