Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 18 of 119 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than 2018 injuries he has not missed many games over the last 6 years. In fact an average of 3 per year (discounting 2018)
    Missed 10 in 2018 and at least 5 this year and already 31???? Just give him 1 and see how he holds up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Only thing I can think of is in the negotiations Easton was willing to accept less $$$ for the extra security of a 2 year deal?

Eg: 1 year on $400k v 2 years on $300k.*

*Please note figures completely made up
    That asterix should be mandatory for all AFL journos.

FWIW that's a very plausible scenario considering his young family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That asterix should be mandatory for all AFL journos.

FWIW that's a very plausible scenario considering his young family.
    Also with the uncertainty with COVID. He may want to move into coaching after retirement and with reduced staff at clubs that is less certain in the short-term. Moz is a good example.

I get tough choices need to be made with reduced list sizes likely coming into effect, but I'd rather the leadership and experience of even an injured Wood than another fringe, inexperienced youngster.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it doesn't matter too much because even if he had a shocking 2021 (form or injury) we'd probably still give him another year. I mean we gave Picken another year and he couldn't turn the lights on in his house.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

With the reduction in club staff including assistant coaches, it makes plenty of sense to have a playing assistant, which he virtually is.

When interviewed earlier in the week and asked which player would be most likely to coach, Caleb Daniel couldn’t blurt out Easton’s name quick enough. A very sensible two year contract even if he only plays 15 games.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    With the reduction in club staff including assistant coaches, it makes plenty of sense to have a playing assistant, which he virtually is.

When interviewed earlier in the week and asked which player would be most likely to coach, Caleb Daniel couldn’t blurt out Easton’s name quick enough. A very sensible two year contract even if he only plays 15 games.
    A great leader is invaluable in any workplace, footy clubs included. Plus Woody can still nail it onfield

8. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We lost too much experience too quickly from our 2016 flag.
    Wood provided us with great leadership as Captain and warrants the two year extension to support the likes of Bont Libba Hunter Dunkley and Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

Done deal why whinge?
    Better heads than us, indeed our club has worked to establish a new contract. Fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Also with the uncertainty with COVID. He may want to move into coaching after retirement and with reduced staff at clubs that is less certain in the short-term. Moz is a good example.

I get tough choices need to be made with reduced list sizes likely coming into effect, but I'd rather the leadership and experience of even an injured Wood than another fringe, inexperienced youngster.
    This is my mindset also.
    I worry more about moving on experienced players too early, than hanging onto them too long.
    Even if Woody was completely 'gone' in the second year of his contract, which is a worse case scenario, there is nothing to say that a 3rd or 4th rounder or rookie is going to be at all a capable senior player anyway. And we have plenty of others on the list to 'turn over'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    This is my mindset also.
    I worry more about moving on experienced players too early, than hanging onto them too long.
    Even if Woody was completely 'gone' in the second year of his contract, which is a worse case scenario, there is nothing to say that a 3rd or 4th rounder or rookie is going to be at all a capable senior player anyway. And we have plenty of others on the list to 'turn over'.
    Agree. I would rather have an older player that has been with us for a long time than bringing in a 30 plus year old from another club. Of our older players, we have Tory about to turn 33, then Wood 31 and then Libba (28). In between the players are all imports (5)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has bringing in a player over 30 ever worked for anyone?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Hall , Akermanis.
    Hodge , Lewis
    I would say heaps if it falls into your needs.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Bryza worked out well for the Hawks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Hudson for a couple of clubs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The article by Tom Morris at foxfooty (linked in another thread) showcased an interesting view on this - the reduction in the soft cap likely to lead to an increase in 'playing coaches' and footy department members working across multiple roles.

It's an interesting debate between needing the extra list spot vs getting the additional coaching, but it's clearly the method the Hawks are going down with Burgoyne next year. I wonder if there will be an increase in 30+ year olds being traded for as playing coaches.....