Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Yeah after failing to land anyone in trade week I don't think we had a choice.
    I'm not banking on him playing too much football.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Unless one of his legs recently fell off he was a certainty to re-sign after we didn't bring another ruck in during trade week.
    I was hoping for a left field smoke and mirrors behind the shadows option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yeah after failing to land anyone in trade week I don't think we had a choice.
    I'm not banking on him playing too much football.
    Little sad really. I love Stef as a human but his body is shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Little sad really. I love Stef as a human but his body is shot.
    Yeah some big doubts about his body. I'm hopeful his signing on might be of still some net benefit to the continuing development for Timmy and especially Jordan Sweet.

5. Likes Grantysghost, SquirrelGrip, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crikey. I thought he was cooked.

Not sure about this one.
    We don't have a lot of choices given trade period has past. If Martin can stay healthy he will be fine
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yeah some big doubts about his body. I'm hopeful his signing on might be of still some net benefit to the continuing development for Timmy and especially Jordan Sweet.
    We really need Jordan Sweet to step up to be a force in the ruck after being badly exposed in the Grand Final.

8. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    We really need Jordan Sweet to step up to be a force in the ruck after being badly exposed in the Grand Final.
    I saw him up close at a couple of VFL games this season and he looks like a decent ruck.
    Not sure why he didn't get more of a look in, playing Young which I agreed with at the time seems kind of crazy in hindsight now he's left.
    Bevo won't learn, playing players in the ruck who don't want to be there makes them leave

Post Thanks / Like

I saw him up close at a couple of VFL games this season and he looks like a decent ruck.
    Not sure why he didn't get more of a look in, playing Young which I agreed with at the time seems kind of crazy in hindsight now he's left.
    Bevo won't learn, playing players in the ruck who don't want to be there makes them leave
    I know many see ruck man as a waste of list spots but with Martin being injured for a fair chunk of the season, Young being preferred over Sweet late in the season (and now he is gone) plus English not quite reaching the required standard we are taking a big chance if we don't add to the depth. Darcy will take at least two seasons to show his true worth to us.
    I'm always interested in the logic of why having a surplus of half back flankers is OK but carrying an extra ruckman potentially compromises the list and is therefor a waster.
    Anyway Sweet needs to have a great season for us and I think he might have enough improvement in him to achieve that.

11. Likes Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet & English will both be 24 by round 1, time for them to step up
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

13. Likes jeemak, bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet certainly is competitive but he needs to stay involved for longer. Another preason will help. He is naturally aggressive but still lacks confidence which can be worked on. He's a very big boy and strong as well. If he can just learn to make a contribution outside of stoppages he can cement a spot. There's certainly one up for grabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know many see ruck man as a waste of list spots but with Martin being injured for a fair chunk of the season, Young being preferred over Sweet late in the season (and now he is gone) plus English not quite reaching the required standard we are taking a big chance if we don't add to the depth. Darcy will take at least two seasons to show his true worth to us.
    I'm always interested in the logic of why having a surplus of half back flankers is OK but carrying an extra ruckman potentially compromises the list and is therefor a waster.
    Anyway Sweet needs to have a great season for us and I think he might have enough improvement in him to achieve that.
    Is that true?

You need the right amount and blend of ruckman on your list.

I agree with MJP, you need to look at drafting/rook list a young ruckman almost every year to see how they develop. There should also be an experienced ruckman around that 28- 32 year old who is durable and a couple of younger ruckman ready to takeover the number one spot from the experienced guy.

What you don't want is a tall for the sake of being tall.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I agree with MJP, you need to look at drafting/rook list a young ruckman almost every year to see how they develop. There should also be an experienced ruckman around that 28- 32 year old who is durable and a couple of younger ruckman ready to takeover the number one spot from the experienced guy.

What you don't want is a tall for the sake of being tall.
    All that is true enough and you have suggested around 4 is the right number. At the moment we have 3 with some potential limitations.

We really need some depth at the position and for some reason we chose not to address it during the trade period.
    Picking from late in the draft probably isn't the answer either but we may strike it lucky.

Given we are in a genuine premiership window I think it's risky decision if we end up going into the season with just the 3 that we have.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Gardner elevated to the primary list.

Post Thanks / Like

Contract talks to fire up for 2014 draft steal ahead of free agency year

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will kickstart negotiations around a contract extension for premiership player Caleb Daniel in the coming weeks, as the diminutive defender prepares to enter the free agency market next year.

Daniel was a member of the side's 2016 premiership team and won the Charles Sutton Medal as the club's best and fairest, as well as being named an All-Australian for the first time, throughout a career-best 2020 season.

After arriving at the club as one of the steals of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, Daniel is due to hit free agency in 2022 having established himself as one of the Dogs' best players across his 134-game career.

The Bulldogs moved to take their last star free agent, captain Marcus Bontempelli, off the market as soon as possible earlier this season and signed the gun midfielder to a four-year extension in May.

A similar situation could eventuate for Daniel, with talks over a fresh deal set to commence in the coming weeks after a campaign in which the classy half-back helped the side return to the Grand Final.

"They're not underway yet, but we're going to catch up in the next couple of weeks actually," Daniel's manager, Marty Pask, told AFL.com.au's NAB AFL Draft Night Countdown last week.

"The footy club has reached out and we're going to have initial chats and have a discussion around where everything sits. There's no timeframe or timeline and, from our end, we're always happy to sit down and listen.

"He's been a great player for the Bulldogs. He's got himself a fantastic playing CV at that footy club and we're always keen to have a chat to them."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt he'll be signed and done promptly.

What a jet.
    "It's over. It's all over."