Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's brief and press conference

I?m not sure if this needs a dedicated thread or not, but interested in a couple of things:

In his brief, Bevo mentioned we were hoping to ?do it by stealth? - what do we think he meant by that? It really confused me that we?d stealthily be more prepared and run harder than them, like that would be unexpected to the Dees that it was our plan to beat them by working harder?

In his press conference he expressed disappointment in players who?d had big pre-seasons. Is the disappointment in their execution of the role (eg we had a degree of confidence based on form they actually execute better) or that they?ve made skill errors (eg contribution to our turnovers etc) or that they didn?t actually meet the mark with their work effort and intensity which the indicators suggested they would (eg they weren?t as prepared or perhaps didn?t quite know how to leverage the preparation in the game day scenario).

I?ve got no idea if that last question is making much sense (lack of sleep is a killer).

Any other things that were said that folks want to speculate on or raise?

2. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo?s brief and press conference

In the last 7 years, we've lost our round 1 match 5 times, with an average losing margin of 51 points.

Beveridge's idea of a strong pre-season and great preparation for round 1, and the reality of it - don't seem to be in sync.

We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club, which ensures that we have the most chance of not being used to playing with each other.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Go_Dogs, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club,
    Do you think this is a deliberate ploy to give new players a taste of it? I was surprised Gallagher got a game, and he showed some good signs, but did he deserve his spot? Maybe Baker or Poulter should have had that wing?

Does the club think, if we lose one now it doesn't matter so much, but we are giving the boys some experience?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do you think this is a deliberate ploy to give new players a taste of it? I was surprised Gallagher got a game, and he showed some good signs, but did he deserve his spot? Maybe Baker or Poulter should have had that wing?

Does the club think, if we lose one now it doesn't matter so much, but we are giving the boys some experience?
    I'm not sure we are in a position to flirt with form like that.

We are all clutching at straws with what to do next.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm not sure we are in a position to flirt with form like that.

We are all clutching at straws with what to do next.
    The comment was re the past 7 years where we tend to put in new players in round 1.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm staggered he said with a straight face the biggest disappointment of the match was we kicked a few points in the last quarter, and we were still in it and then let the margin blew out by another five goals.

Surely, he doesn't believe we were still in the game at three quarter time?

Personally, after the fifteen-minute mark of the first quarter we looked a long way off it.

9. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The comment was re the past 7 years where we tend to put in new players in round 1.
    I still think my comment is somewhat relevant over the past 7 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he likes to play with new toys. We've all seen over the years the players who seem to get selected way earlier than the runs on the board would suggest and get a sustained run.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he likes to play with new toys. We've all seen over the years the players who seem to get selected way earlier than the runs on the board would suggest and get a sustained run.
    A coach putting faith and trust in his players who have done the work

A coach putting the nose out of joint of senior players who have done the work over multiple years

A coach working out who from the list are going to carry the side forward this year and beyond (and who isn’t)

There are lots of different ways this is viewed across the playing group and match committee I’m sure (in addition to the above)

. It’s a tough gig - we’ve got a list in transition that may not be capable of executing the plan or matching it with some of the better lists around and it feels like we either fast track some individuals to try and bridge the gap faster or go with more of the same and get the same results. If we do the latter, players that we need to get to the 50 game mark may not get there before they’re delisted or leave through lack of opportunity.

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Boots, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the last 7 years, we've lost our round 1 match 5 times, with an average losing margin of 51 points.

Beveridge's idea of a strong pre-season and great preparation for round 1, and the reality of it - don't seem to be in sync.

We also go in invariably with a side that includes every single new player to the club, which ensures that we have the most chance of not being used to playing with each other.
    That’s a staggering stat really.

I actually believe the mantra it was our fittest and most prepared our squad has been. It may be that we don’t pick the best 23 from the squad to execute and/or our playing group didn’t rock up to do the job - which given it’s a collective thing, points towards a belief / motivation / coaching issue.

My question is, are we;

1. Clear on the game plan and roles
    2. Capable of executing the above
    3. Motivated to do it for ourselves, our teammates and coaches

At least one of those things is off.

15. Likes GVGjr, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    My question is, are we;

1. Clear on the game plan and roles
    2. Capable of executing the above
    3. Motivated to do it for ourselves, our teammates and coaches

At least one of those things is off.
    After one round, I can't answer this, but what I can say is after the preseason review and strong preseason training, I can't see why not.

To me we looked rusty yesterday - we came out with a bang in the first quarter, but then slowly died as the day got on, and it became harder to execute the game plan. Make no mistake, Melbourne has one of the best defences in the AFL, and when you play them, you have to be on your game.

I am expecting a better showing next week, after another game under our belt.

17. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm staggered he said with a straight face the biggest disappointment of the match was we kicked a few points in the last quarter, and we were still in it and then let the margin blew out by another five goals.

Surely, he doesn't believe we were still in the game at three quarter time?

Personally, after the fifteen-minute mark of the first quarter we looked a long way off it.
    I absolutely believe we were still in it in the last quarter. After Bramble's goal, it was less than three goals the difference. One more goal at that point could have been a big momentum shift. Instead Van Rooyen got the next and our heads dropped for the rest of the game.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

19. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I absolutely believe we were still in it in the last quarter. After Bramble's goal, it was less than three goals the difference. One more goal at that point could have been a big momentum shift. Instead Van Rooyen got the next and our heads dropped for the rest of the game.
    I felt like they had us comfortably at arms length from half way through the second and we never realistically challenged them.

To me there was no chance of overhauling them at any stage.

21. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whether we were seriously in the game is unknown, but it's very disappointing that we didn't make Melbourne prove that we weren't by putting scoreboard pressure on them.

First game of the season you're probably going to get good, bad and indifferent form throughout, but you've still got to take your chances to compete.

I get why he's very disappointed we didn't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Whether we were seriously in the game is unknown, but it's very disappointing that we didn't make Melbourne prove that we weren't by putting scoreboard pressure on them.

First game of the season you're probably going to get good, bad and indifferent form throughout, but you've still got to take your chances to compete.

I get why he's very disappointed we didn't.
    Yes. We could have asked some questions of them. If Marra converted from close quarters we woud have been two goals down and there would have been a lot more tension in the game.