Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 70 of 119 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1778
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dunks is still only 25 years old. You don't get rid of players that age and what he has achieved to date
    You can't pay them what you can't afford, either.

We'll put what we think is a fair offer on the table for Dunkley, he'll either accept it or he won't. I'm sure he'll be offered much higher elsewhere and we won't get what we thought he was worth when he was under contract, which to be fair, was and ambit claim anyway.

It's great Timmy's signed on. I'm a bit worried about his concussion situation, however. Perhaps the two years irrespective of how it aligns with free agency isn't the worst for both parties.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Jason Johannisen: 2022
    Toby McLean: 2022
    Josh Dunkley: 2022
    Rhylee West: 2022
    Alex Keath: 2022
    Josh Schache: 2022
    Bailey Smith: 2022
    Louis Butler: 2022
    Riley Garcia: 2022
    Zaine Cordy: 2022
    Taylor Duryea: 2022
    Mitch Wallis: 2022
    Stefan Martin: 2022
    Charlie Parker: 2022 (Rookie)
    Robbie McComb: 2022 (Rookie)
    Cody Raak: 2022 (Rookie)
    Good to see the list shrinking a bit but we still have over 1/3 of our list coming out of contract. My thoughts on each of them are;

Bailey Smith - Priority signing. Hopefully 3-4 years.

Alex Keath - Priority signing. 2 years would see about right given his age and importance to the team.

Josh Dunkley - Priority signing. 3-4 years or the length to get him to free agency status.

Jason Johannisen - Definite keeper. He will be 30 this year. 2 years

Rhylee West - Definite keeper. Starting to find his groove at senior level. Another 2 years would be a good outcome.

Need to Finish the Year Strongly

Toby Mclean - After 2 years out of the game hopefully he returns soon and goes well. Certainly gets an extension if he does.

Josh Schache - If he is back at Footscray by the end of the year he could be in trouble. I'd still keep him. He's a good player.

Mitch Wallis - Might struggle to get another deal. Could get a reprieve if Dunkley leaves to keep another experienced player on the fringes. Another 1 year deal might be a chance if he finishes the year well.

Taylor Duryea - Arguably the best small defender in the comp in 2021. Not quite the same this year and now injured. Will be 32 next season. Probably gets 1 year which is fair enough if he comes back well from his knee.

Riley Garcia - A player I'd love to see get a good run without injury. Think he's good enough to get a 2 year contract.

Zaine Cordy - Like Schache could be in trouble if still at Footscray by the end of the year. Certainly if we bring in a key defender from another club. Could be retained on a short term deal for KP depth.

Robbie McComb - think he deserves a 1 year extension at least. As a mature age recruit has done what was expected of him and is playing regular AFL footy at the moment.

Stefan Martin - I think it's obvious to all of us that he is done. His body can't do it anymore. Such a pity. We were superb when he was playing well early last season. Highlighted the importance of having a decent ruckman in the team.

Louis Butler - needs a big finish to the year but I can't see him making it. We have too many similar types of small players and we have needs in other areas.

Charlie Parker - He's an interesting one. As a mature age recruit we would have expected him to challenge for a senior spot and he hasn't really done that. Has had some bright moments at Footscray but has it been enough? Now injured. Might be up against it.

Cody Raak - Not sure he has done enough but is low cost to keep as a project player in the hope he can take a step up next year.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

3. Thanks GVGjr, angelopetraglia, azabob, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, DOG GOD, Smads57, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Good to see the list shrinking a bit but we still have over 1/3 of our list coming out of contract. My thoughts on each of them are;

Alex Keath - Priority signing. 2 years would see about right given his age and importance to the team.

Josh Dunkley - Priority signing. 3-4 years or the length to get him to free agency status.

Charlie Parker - He's an interesting one. As a mature age recruit we would have expected him to challenge for a senior spot and he hasn't really done that. Has had some bright moments at Footscray but has it been enough? Now injured. Might be up against it.
    Just on these ones; I believe Keath has a contract trigger for 1 more year which he is likely to meet so maybe nothing to negotiate there.

Dunkley will qualify for free agency in another year (drafted the year after Daniel & Dale). Would be strange to sign a 1 year deal though.

Although Parker is older he is fairly inexperienced in football terms having mostly played cricket. I think he was always at least a 2 year commitment and wasn't likely to be pushing for a debut this season. Injuries have snuffed out any chance regardless.

Largely agree with the rest of your analysis.

5. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Just on these ones; I believe Keath has a contract trigger for 1 more year which he is likely to meet so maybe nothing to negotiate there.

Dunkley will qualify for free agency in another year (drafted the year after Daniel & Dale). Would be strange to sign a 1 year deal though.

Although Parker is older he is fairly inexperienced in football terms having mostly played cricket. I think he was always at least a 2 year commitment and wasn't likely to be pushing for a debut this season. Injuries have snuffed out any chance regardless.

Largely agree with the rest of your analysis.
    Wonder what Keath's trigger was? Hopefully it is only for one more year.

You and I have debated this a bit but he's struggled with injury and getting his body right since the Melbourne game at the G in 2021.

I'd sign Parker for another year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wonder what Keath's trigger was? Hopefully it is only for one more year.

You and I have debated this a bit but he's struggled with injury and getting his body right since the Melbourne game at the G in 2021.

I'd sign Parker for another year.
    In hindsight you have been proven correct, although I think you went a little early.

I'm not sure what the terms are for Keath's trigger, but it has definitely been reported as a 3 year deal with a trigger for a 4th. I imagine it's games based and if he avoids further major layoffs he should meet it.

Assuming he triggers the extra year for 2023, going forward I would expect 1 year deals, Duryea style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You can't pay them what you can't afford, either.

We'll put what we think is a fair offer on the table for Dunkley, he'll either accept it or he won't. I'm sure he'll be offered much higher elsewhere and we won't get what we thought he was worth when he was under contract, which to be fair, was and ambit claim anyway.

It's great Timmy's signed on. I'm a bit worried about his concussion situation, however. Perhaps the two years irrespective of how it aligns with free agency isn't the worst for both parties.
    We will put a more than reasonable and fair offer to Dunks but if money is his sole focus he will be able to make more elsewhere.
    I hope we keep him but he is essentially leaving things to the last minute and now other deals are being struck which might shrink the pot.

Still, there are players like Wallis and McLean that might either need to take a decent hair cut or look for other homes so if we are ruthless enough we can typically keep the priority players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like the contract we gave Wallis this year was fair compensation for his service as a clubman. We don’t need to give him another one just because he’s a great guy and I’m sure there’s another team out there that he could find his way onto.

Butler and Martin are my only other definite delistings at this stage, with a wait and see on Toby. West is becoming something of a priority signature.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I feel like the contract we gave Wallis this year was fair compensation for his service as a clubman. We don’t need to give him another one just because he’s a great guy and I’m sure there’s another team out there that he could find his way onto.

Butler and Martin are my only other definite delistings at this stage, with a wait and see on Toby. West is becoming something of a priority signature.
    We will though re Wallis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We will though re Wallis.
    If he’s comfortable being the ostensible VFL captain and playing for whatever the AFL equivalent of a vet’s minimum is then fine, but he’s not a legitimate AFL option at this stage of his career.

Post Thanks / Like

If he’s comfortable being the ostensible VFL captain and playing for whatever the AFL equivalent of a vet’s minimum is then fine, but he’s not a legitimate AFL option at this stage of his career.
    Agree, he'd be better off at North or the like adding to his career.
    No one would think any less of him as a Bulldog person.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely. What's he supposed to do, hang around and not play AFL for less money so I don't feel sad?

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely. What's he supposed to do, hang around and not play AFL for less money so I don't feel sad?
    Whilst it is sad, he is just not in our best 22
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would cheer for him if he played for another team. What a great clubman and well spoken gent he is.

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much agree Doctor.

Every time I see butler at AFL level I just roll my eyes. I don’t see it. Never have, so if he is kept on, I won’t be happy.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

And with Wallis out for the rest of the year with a foot injury, I can't help but feel that's curtains. I'm sure the club would love him around at VFL level but I cannot see him playing seniors ever again even if he went around next year.