Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 8 of 119 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Dickson locked in for 2020

Veteran forward Tory Dickson has signed a one-year contract extension for 2020.

The 32-year-old premiership player has kicked 181 goals across his 113-game AFL career and is renowned as one of the AFL’s most accurate set-shot exponents.

Dickson returned to fitness in 2019, playing 17 games and kicking 24 goals, including multiple goals on eight occasions.
    A series of injuries had restricted him to just 17 appearances across the previous two seasons.

The experienced goal-kicker will be one of just three players on the Club’s young list aged 30-or-over at the start of 2020, alongside Easton Wood (30) and Matthew Suckling (31).

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said Dickson was an important signing.

“We’re really pleased to have Tory locked in for another year,” Power said.

“He’s one of the more experienced players on our list and has been a proven contributor at AFL level now for a significant period of time.

“Tory was able to bounce back this year after a couple of injury-hit seasons to play consistent football at AFL level. He provided an important avenue to goal for us throughout the year and knows how to make the most of his opportunities.

“We’re confident that he will have plenty to offer next year, complementing our emerging group of forwards.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news I think he still has something to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Great news I think he still has something to offer.
    Me too. Still has plenty to contribute to our team.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Afel.com.au reporting that Gardner is tipped to re-sign. Why?? Anyway:

If true... That means Gardner, Sweet, Young & Khamis are locked in.

Meaning La Young gets upgraded and Roarke stays, or, Roarke gets delisted. No rookie draft or SSP option.

Or if we want a rookie draft spot/SSP option, La Young gets upgraded & Roarke gets cut.

Interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the biff

6. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be the only one who thinks this is not us moving forward I would hope that Lipinski would take his spot. I think we would be better served chasing a small quick tackling forward.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I must be the only one who thinks this is not us moving forward I would hope that Lipinski would take his spot. I think we would be better served chasing a small quick tackling forward.
    Are you talking about Dickson?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski is doing well as a mid so trying to make him adjust his game again to replace Tory wouldn't make much sense. Maybe if we'd got Martin it'd be different but Dickson likely offers us more than whoever would take the last spot on the list next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson can be the player who kicks a clutch goal and makes the difference in a final. He is a known quantity.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I would've been happy either way on Dickson.

But the reality is, if Dicko plays 11+ games (1/2 normal season) then Lloyd, Dale, Greene, Cavarra & Gowers have not taken the next step in their development. If they do elevate their own games, then Dicko may not get a lot of games. May competition bring out the best in our players over the preseason and next season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Smith, Gardner earn new deals

The Western Bulldogs have re-signed Roarke Smith and Ryan Gardner as rookie-listed players for 2020.

Smith, 23, played five AFL games in 2019 to take his career tally to 17.

The utility joined the Bulldogs with pick five in the 2014 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, making his AFL debut in 2015.

He had two knee reconstructions in his first three seasons, before being delisted and redrafted at the end of 2017.

Smith kicked his maiden AFL goal in round 15 against Port Adelaide in arguably his best performance at the level, where he collected 24 disposals and laid five tackles.

Gardner, 22, was drafted from Footscray in this year’s AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

The tall utility made his AFL debut the same week – against the West Coast Eagles in Perth – which was one of his two senior appearances for the year.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said both Smith and Gardner had the attributes to be successful AFL players for the Bulldogs.

“We saw some really promising signs from Roarke and Ryan in 2019,” Power said.

“Roarke’s challenges with injury early in his career are well-known. This year, he was able to consistently play good football for Footscray and make an impact when given the opportunity at senior level.

“He’s good by foot and has the flexibility to play roles across all three lines.

“Ryan also offers great versatility, in being able to play as a key defender or key forward, and he provides plenty of competitiveness in the air.

“He was drafted on the back of some impressive form for Footscray, and while a knee injury restricted him later in the season, we are confident he has more to offer at AFL level.”

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well at the very least I guess they offer some depth. Not convinced they're there next year (though you could say that of Rourke for 3-4 years now)

Post Thanks / Like

= 5 rookies with contracts, so:

La Young will be upgraded in lieu of Pick 89
    &
    No rookie draft picks or SSP options (4 rookie spots filled - Khamis, Sweet, Roarke, Gardner)

Virtually the same senior and rookie list from this year (Boyd, Picko & Morris all injured, Roberts & Webb not much selected), plus Bruce, Keath, Pick 13, Pick 53.

Two trades. Two draft picks. No rookie draft picks.

Minimalist. Very.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-10-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Well at the very least I guess they offer some depth. Not convinced they're there next year (though you could say that of Rourke for 3-4 years now)
    Next year needs to be a big overhaul if the fringe players don't perform. From:

Main List: (1) Jong, (2) Lynch, (3) Porter, (4) Greene, (5) Gowers, (6) Cavarra & likely retired (7) Dickson & (8) Suckling.
    Rookie List: (1) Roarke (2) Gardner

Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous, Smith has been a rookie for 5 years. Either he is up to it or not.