Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I don’t think he replaces anyone in the 22, but with no suitors coming for him I wouldn’t mind seeing him tried in the role at VFL level and it becomes another break glass option if needed.

He obviously adds value to the group in a leadership/great bloke capacity, but there are some that have seemingly written him off as even a depth player that can be called on.
    So compete with Wood & Crozier at VFL and force kids like Khamis & Butler to play out of position. Not groom Scott to take over from Duryea. Keep JJ further out of the HBF. If we draft Raak &/or MacPherson then play them out of position.

Feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. He’s shown form as a mid, a tagged and forward. Not sure how shoving him back does anything for him, the teams and the squad more broadly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So compete with Wood & Crozier at VFL and force kids like Khamis & Butler to play out of position. Not groom Scott to take over from Duryea. Keep JJ further out of the HBF. If we draft Raak &/or MacPherson then play them out of position.

Feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. He’s shown form as a mid, a tagged and forward. Not sure how shoving him back does anything for him, the teams and the squad more broadly.
    Giving Wallis some minutes in the VFL backline is going to do all of that? I hadn’t intended for him to take six spots across the backline at once for the whole season, but I guess it could be the only logical way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013?
    Wallis doesn't have the same skill set as Boyd so it's a big no from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Wallis doesn't have the same skill set as Boyd so it's a big no from me.
    Matty Boyd didn't have the skill set of Matty Boyd until he did, but I tend to agree with you in that for Wallis it will be a bridge too far to make that change in his game.

Diversifying to the point where he has in becoming an AFL standard forward was a major feather in his cap, and not an easy thing to do so you'd never say never. But I just don't see it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the suggestion someone made (Jeemak or Comrade I want to say) of playing Wallis as the defensive style mid we don't really employ and that could have maybe made a difference on GF day. Not that I think it's a guarantee of working but he is the player that would give it a good crack and has most of the attributes. Dont think we'd actually do it though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallis commits to another year
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes boydogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wallis commits to another year
    I hope he has a good one. Or it’s early retirement. That’s strong motivation in and of itself.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke’s reward: Smith locked in until 2023

Western Bulldogs utility Roarke Smith has signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him at the Kennel until at least 2023.

It is a welcomed reward for the 25-year-old, whose well-documented story includes seven consecutive one-year rookie deals, two delistings and two knee reconstructions.

But his hard work and persistence paid off this season, playing 14 senior games, including all four finals.

He also kicked the Bulldogs’ first goal in the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said it was pleasing to see Smith rewarded.

“Having Roarke locked in for another two seasons is great, not only for the Club but also for him and his own development,” Power said.

“His athleticism and versatility are key strengths of his game, while his team-first approach is commendable. We see him as an important part of our future.

“We’re excited to see what else he can bring to AFL level in the red, white and blue moving forward.”

11. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he’s staying on the Rookie List, which means little practically. Two more years getting paid to play footy with your mates. Good day to be Roarke.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he’s staying on the Rookie List, which means little practically. Two more years getting paid to play footy with your mates. Good day to be Roarke.
    The club seem to be deliberately vague about the rookie list. Hopefully it all becomes clearer come final list lodgement.

14. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Club Facebook post suggests Rookie List No More.

"I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that is was phrased rookie deals no more makes me think that we're elevating him.

Rookie deals no more Roarke Smith has signed a two-year contract extension

That's how it was put in the tweet. Also the cross and check were much smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that's entirely clear.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope he's been elevated. 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff from Roarke. Has worked his ring off to get better and never gave up. Really happy for him.

21. Likes EasternWest, Testekill, jeemak, kruder, Eastdog liked this post