Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Is anyone else a bit surprised that we didn’t hear of any delistings this week after players had their exit interviews? I would have thought that there would have been at least one ie Webb. Are we holding onto everyone for now as insurance against what might arise as offers to our uncontracted players?
    Yes without over analysing things.

So now I over analyse things. The uncontracted number is 4. Williams will stay or be traded. So he's not facing delisting. Roberts & Dickson are free agents so they will be re-signed or exercise their free agency status. Also by not delisting them, in the very, very, very unlikely event there's compensation for the player/s we could get a third rounder at best. But not if they're delisted first.

The obvious ones to me are Webb, and rookies Roarke Smith & Gardner. But if Bevo and Power want to keep them both (by upgrading La Young). So if the club keeps the rookies (I'd cut both), then we are back at delisting only Webb now. If a player or two said they are open to trades (ie Jong, Lynch) maybe there might be a very outside chance Webb could stay? Or maybe Webb has a club offering him a lifeline? Or maybe we are just waiting for a few more to be added to the media release so it doesn't just look like the only bloke fired is Webb?

But I agree with your post. I checked the club's website yesterday just in case 100 of us missed anything.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Having said that, it’s interesting that Bailey Williams isn’t signed. 3 weeks from the trade period and he’s uncontracted and the media have reported interest this year from Adelaide & St Kilda. Two clubs we hope to deal with re Bruce/Keath. No real point, but interesting that we haven’t signed him up if that’s what we want.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Bailey Williams signed.

Developing utility Bailey Williams has re-signed with the Western Bulldogs.

The 21-year-old has committed to a two-year contract extension, which will see him stay at VU Whitten Oval until at least the end of 2021.

Williams averaged more than 15 disposals per game in his nine AFL matches this year, playing primarily as a defender.

The South Australian product has played 41 AFL matches across four seasons, since joining the Bulldogs with pick 48 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said Williams had shown promise in his first four years at the Kennel.

“We’ve seen plenty of growth in Bailey’s game over the past couple of years, and we believe he has a bright future as a Bulldog,” Power said.

“Bailey is a versatile player who has a strong game sense and intercepts the ball well. He’s shown across his career that he can play multiple roles, including down back and through the midfield.

“He displayed some impressive signs in his AFL opportunities this season and was dominant when playing for Footscray at VFL level.

“Having now had four years in the AFL system, Bailey will be determined to cement his position in the senior team and help drive us forward in 2020.”

Williams becomes the 16th player to re-sign with the Western Bulldogs in 2019.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to keep Bailey but I have NFI how we are going to make the list room for the 253 players we have been linked to.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm happy to keep Bailey but I have NFI how we are going to make the list room for the 253 players we have been linked to.
    I think we will make very little change to the list.

We are compelled to draft 3 and we will most likely pick up 2 with trades. (just my thoughts)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm prepared to call 5 - Boyd, Picken, Morris, Roberts & Webb
    I think we may need 7 though (4 trades &/or free agents) - So that leaves main 3 possibles: Dickson (uncontracted), Jong &/or Lynch (traded). Jong & Lynch might want to actually play afl footy, so maybe something moves here.

If we have Bruce, Naughton, Schache, Dale, Lloyd and say we bring in a small pressure forward. Plus Gowers, Greene and Cavarra. With the signing of the likes of Porter done already, Dickson might be up against it.

It's really tough now. I would've held Porter back, but good for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they waited this long on Williams because they now realized they couldn't get the targets they were after.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm prepared to call 5 - Boyd, Picken, Morris, Roberts & Webb
    I think we may need 7 though (4 trades &/or free agents) - So that leaves main 3 possibles: Dickson (uncontracted), Jong &/or Lynch (traded). Jong & Lynch might want to actually play afl footy, so maybe something moves here.

If we have Bruce, Naughton, Schache, Dale, Lloyd and say we bring in a small pressure forward. Plus Gowers, Greene and Cavarra. With the signing of the likes of Porter done already, Dickson might be up against it.

It's really tough now. I would've held Porter back, but good for him.
    Still scratching my head why we signed Porter. Why do you think 7? Do we need 7 new faces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Still scratching my head why we signed Porter. Why do you think 7? Do we need 7 new faces.
    I can't recall whether it was Bevo or a statement from the club indicating we are looking to be active with a focus on KPDs and ruck. We've been linked to Keath & Howard as a KPD, and Zak Smith as a cheap ruck option and with Josh Bruce as a KPF.

So that's three new faces and I'd like a small pressure forward. I'd take in two live draft picks and upgrade La Young.

In the passed couple of years:

We haven't replaced Boyd, Redders & Cloke (Boyd this year)
    We haven't replaced Roughed & Campbell
    We haven't replaced Adams, Morris, Collins & Roberts (two this year)

I think the club appears on the right track. One KPD, one KPF, one cheap ruck and keep an eye out for gettable talent up to and including a small pressure forward. Plus the three draft selections (inc. upgrades). So a turnover of 7 players seems about right to me, and get the balance and depth better in the big man areas.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall whether it was Bevo or a statement from the club indicating we are looking to be active with a focus on KPDs and ruck. We've been linked to Keath & Howard as a KPD, and Zak Smith as a cheap ruck option and with Josh Bruce as a KPF.

So that's three new faces and I'd like a small pressure forward. I'd take in two live draft picks and upgrade La Young.

In the passed couple of years:

We haven't replaced Boyd, Redders & Cloke (Boyd this year)
    We haven't replaced Roughed & Campbell
    We haven't replaced Adams, Morris, Collins & Roberts (two this year)

I think the club appears on the right track. One KPD, one KPF, one cheap ruck and keep an eye out for gettable talent up to and including a small pressure forward. Plus the three draft selections (inc. upgrades). So a turnover of 7 players seems about right to me, and get the balance and depth better in the big man areas.
    We can use the rookie draft for some of those. if La Young upgraded I would also look at delisting Roarke - that is two spots for backup ruck, and maybe a small forward.

I wonder if there are any players wanting to leave?

Post Thanks / Like

We can use the rookie draft for some of those. if La Young upgraded I would also look at delisting Roarke - that is two spots for backup ruck, and maybe a small forward.

That’s a good question. No media outlet has hinted at anything.

We are moving to a ‘window’. Hoping in three year time kpps make it is not my idea of getting to and staying in the window longer. We have heaps of picks and salary cap right now, with heaps of kids to develop also next year. 7 isn’t an excessive number if it’s done right. I have no problem parting with Roarke & Gardner.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody wants to leave, nobody wants to join. We are like some kind of weird cult.

All hail supreme leader Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a good question. No media outlet has hinted at anything.

We are moving to a ‘window’. Hoping in three year time kpps make it is not my idea of getting to and staying in the window longer. We have heaps of picks and salary cap right now, with heaps of kids to develop also next year. 7 isn’t an excessive number if it’s done right. I have no problem parting with Roarke & Gardner.
    Hold on, what is the status of Gardner? Is he taking up a spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Hold on, what is the status of Gardner? Is he taking up a spot?
    He's now uncontracted, but if we want to retain him, yes. Say Roarke goes &/or Young is elevated we can put him in one of those vacancies. I see no reason to keep him especially with the types of players we are hoping to bring in. I'd rather a rookie draft selection or SSP option.

Post Thanks / Like

He's now uncontracted, but if we want to retain him, yes. Say Roarke goes &/or Young is elevated we can put him in one of those vacancies. I see no reason to keep him especially with the types of players we are hoping to bring in. I'd rather a rookie draft selection or SSP option.
    Hey BT, do you know that this is actually the term of the contract that Gardner negotiated with the Club?
    The mid-season draft as far as I’m aware permitted a short term contract option to 31Oct this year, or the option to 31Oct2020, with the option to be re-signed based on existing rookie rules.