Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Looks like Schache has thickened up in the contract video. No longer a skinny kid.

Excited for his 2020.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Looks like Schache has thickened up in the contract video. No longer a skinny kid.

Excited for his 2020.
    I think it's one of the best videos we've produced. He was so eloquent in explaining his home sickness and sounds like if we didn't grab him he'd be playing country footy. It's one thing to say you play where you're drafred, but another thing if you're very unhappy and the only medicine to treat it is being close to family.

He's happy, super fit, improved his game, he looks stronger and has a club that really believes in him. Now he's third banana like Gunston was with Buddy & Roughy and with his goal kicking accuracy, should be able to apply the pain to opponents next year. I'm really looking forward to his 2020 as well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. Showed a lot in 2019 in our forward line. Looking forward to what he can bring in 2020.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading the following last year and thought I would share. It shows Bailey Smith's ideas on his first contract. Not sure what he thinks now.

While Walsh is firming to be snapped up by Carlton with Pick 1 in November, the likes of gun Sandringham midfielder Bailey Smith and WA bolter Jordan Clark are Iikely to go in the top 10. And the way things look, both are strong chances to move interstate.

Smith would even be happier to sign a one-year contract first up. But his reasoning is unique.

“I reckon two years is fine, I’ve got no problem with it. Even one year - I couldn’t care less, just get your foot in the door, try prove yourself,” Smith told foxfooty.com.au.

“Probably one year would be better because you’ve got a shorter time to prove yourself and you’re more hungry to prove yourself. If you had a longer time, you’d think ‘I’ve got next year to show what I can do’.

“The shorter it is, I honestly think the better. Whatever, I don’t mind.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...49fd737a67643f

5. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Bailey Smith has proved himself.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Agree entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep agree TD. A great first season for us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yep agree TD. A great first season for us.
    I don't think that I have seen as a consistently good first season from a kid coming up from underage footy. Hardie won the brownlow in his first year but he was in his 20s by that stage and had been playing senior footy for a few years.

Maybe Chris Grant's 50 odd goals as a 17 year old in 1990 and Templeton's kicked 25 goals as an 18 yo (and 82 from 23 games as a 19 yo was a fair effort). Leon Cameron had a good first year too.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that I have seen as a consistently good first season from a kid coming up from underage footy. Hardie won the brownlow in his first year but he was in his 20s by that stage and had been playing senior footy for a few years.

Maybe Chris Grant's 50 odd goals as a 17 year old in 1990 and Templeton's kicked 25 goals as an 18 yo (and 82 from 23 games as a 19 yo was a fair effort). Leon Cameron had a good first year too.
    Bontempelli ? Steve McPherson IIRC
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

One more year for Vandermeer

Emerging speedster Laitham Vandermeer has signed a one-year contract extension with the Western Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old will call VU Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2021.

Vandermeer joined the Bulldogs in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, where he was selected with pick 37 from the Murray Bushrangers.

The line-breaking utility averaged 14.6 disposals across 15 VFL matches for Footscray in an impressive first season in red, white and blue, but has yet to make an AFL debut.

“It shows the Club has a lot of trust in me and also gives me confidence going into the 2020 season to just play with freedom and give it everything,” Vandermeer said

“Getting drafted to the Bulldogs is the best thing that’s happened to me. It’s a very comfortable environment.

“It’s good to head into my second season feeling fit and fresh. I had a few injuries last year, which was a good learning curve, needing to be resilient and work through them.

“Continuity is my biggest goal now. Staying on the track for the whole pre-season will hopefully give me the best chance to play senior footy next year.”

Vandermeer was the travelling emergency for the Bulldogs’ mid-season win against Port Adelaide, before collecting a season-high 24 disposals in Footscray’s semi-final loss to Port Melbourne.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said Vandermeer would be looking to push for senior selection in 2020.

“Laitham displayed some really promising signs in his first year at the Club,” Power said.

“His speed and ability to cover the ground are among his strengths, while he has already shown for Footscray that he is capable of having an impact across all three lines.

“We see Laitham as a player with plenty of room to grow and improve his game. Hopefully he can get a full pre-season under his belt and be pushing to break into the AFL side next year.”

13. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good signing, he can be a damaging player for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good signing, he can be a damaging player for us.
    Yep, he is a good pick up at 37 I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

He was exciting with the ball in hand in most of his VFL games - shows promise as that outside running player - not that dissimilar to Richards
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

17. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to hoping to see him play some senior footy in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Bontempelli ? Steve McPherson IIRC
    I think that Magic MacLean and Steve MacPherson made their debuts within a couple of weeks of each other