Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 9 of 119 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Roarke has the designated eker position on our list all sewn up. About to enter his sixth season with 17 games to his name and at long odds to add more than a handful to that total. I will be amazed if he is still on the list in 12 months time which suggests this is a wasted opportunity to give a shot to somebody else.

Gardner actually makes more sense. His untimely injury meant he didn't get much opportunity to prove himself and he provides much needed tall depth, potentially forward, back and the ruck. We have plenty of players who can offer similar qualities to Smith, not so Gardner.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Roarke has the designated eker position on our list all sewn up. About to enter his sixth season with 17 games to his name and at long odds to add more than a handful to that total. I will be amazed if he is still on the list in 12 months time which suggests this is a wasted opportunity to give a shot to somebody else.

Gardner actually makes more sense. His untimely injury meant he didn't get much opportunity to prove himself and he provides much needed tall depth, potentially forward, back and the ruck. We have plenty of players who can offer similar qualities to Smith, not so Gardner.
    I feel this is more about 2020 draft than anything else.

We have NGA and Father/Son candidates who look like we should take them.

We will need plenty of list spots to be able to utilise the picks and adding someone who could not be delisted next year would interfere with that requirement.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes Bulldog4life, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I feel this is more about 2020 draft than anything else.

We have NGA and Father/Son candidates who look like we should take them.

We will need plenty of list spots to be able to utilise the picks and adding someone who could not be delisted next year would interfere with that requirement.
    Not so sure BJ, what if many of the players on one year deals all have good seasons in 2020? I think we could have opened spots on the rookie list this year without compromising 2020 objectives in the slightest
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Really is ridiculous that Roarke has been on our list this long.

7. Likes Happy Days, 1eyedog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Axeman is right. On displayed form keeping Smith is a strange decision that smacks of Bevo liking the player. Lets hope Bevo has got this one right

With Roberts moving on Gardner at least provides some coverage as a key defender

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Axeman is right. On displayed form keeping Smith is a strange decision that smacks of Bevo liking the player. Lets hope Bevo has got this one right

With Roberts moving on Gardner at least provides some coverage as a key defender
    It's been many a year we've not participated in a rookie draft. Moreso factoring out times where it was for financial reasons. For a club with a rich history in plummeting the rookie draft, sitting one out altogether is hard to fathom.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Retaining Roarke is weird, but there's a real possibility that Gardner is the worst player in the AFL next year. Baffling decision to re-list him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes anfo27, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Retaining Roarke is weird, but there's a real possibility that Gardner is the worst player in the AFL next year. Baffling decision to re-list him.
    Roberts>Gardner
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Roberts>Gardner
    Not necessarily if the coach wasn't going to select Roberts

Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily if the coach wasn't going to select Roberts
    Personally I don't rate Gardner at all. I hope he proves me wrong as he is on our list, but what I have seen in the VFL, he is only on the team due to height.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Personally I don't rate Gardner at all. I hope he proves me wrong as he is on our list, but what I have seen in the VFL, he is only on the team due to height.
    While I tend to agree roughly how many times did you see him play at Footscray this year? He did start the season off well and was moved forward and back.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I tend to agree roughly how many times did you see him play at Footscray this year? He did start the season off well and was moved forward and back.
    Any chance they see Gardner as ruck depth? Think we're still running way too short in that area. Might be one that's groomed as a potential ruck over summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Was really hoping we targeted a small zippy forward and ruck depth I will back Sam and his team but this makes me feel uneasy
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Any chance they see Gardner as ruck depth? Think we're still running way too short in that area. Might be one that's groomed as a potential ruck over summer.
    He's not a ruckman from what I have seen. We will probably back ourselves to get him improving but I hope we don't think he can ruck

Post Thanks / Like

I saw three very ordinary games at Footscray early last season.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post