Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 26 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

The salary cap seems bonkers when you compare a side like the Dogs to North. Both have to pay roughly the same overall to their list, but we have to fit in Bont, Naughton, English, Smith, Macrae, Treloar, Marra, Dunkley etc. Some very overpaid players at Arden St.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    What I take out of this is

- Contracts for Bont, Libba & Vandermeer are underway & seem positively placed

- We've been banking cap space for a while now to ensure retention of key players

- Confirms Jake Niall's (The Age) claim the Dogs have wriggle room in the cap so we could still be active in the player market

- We have a balanced approach to player payments for all players. No One getting overs or under

- Some fringe players could move on.
    Nice summary... Sounds like we’re in a pretty good spot and assuming our players don’t get monster deal offers (which will probably happen) we’re in a strong position to keep the list together.

Regardless of salary cap issues I can see a number of fringe players moving on to get further opportunities unless team selection changes through the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would hate to be in Sam's shoes trying to juggle the salaries.

I think we have to be prepared to lose some good players over the next few years.

This is what a few have said (hello Jeemak) but others have denied:
    I think we can all agree we'll all disagree on this one BAD!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dunkley situation will be an interesting one. Early days at the moment but he has found 2019 form so far.

Essendon played it smart by trying to get him whilst playing in the ruck and struggling with form but if he keeps it up this season they won't be able to offer anything less than 2 first round picks.

Post Thanks / Like

First part of the article is already covered in the thread in Dogs Day, but in the second part Bains talks about Bont's contract:

Dogs expect Bombers – and ‘other clubs’ – to target Dunkley again as new Bont deal looms

Like Dunkley, skipper Bontempelli has had a tremendous start to his 2021 campaign,

Bontempelli flagged pre-season he was comfortable with where talks between his management and the Bulldogs sat, adding there was “no real rush” from either party to strike a deal promptly.

Bains said discussions remained ongoing between Bulldogs list boss Sam Power and Bontempelli’s manager Tom Petroro, declaring the club was confident Bontempelli was “a committed Bulldogs player”.

“He was really strong on wanting to be the embodiment of our focus on starting the year really strongly and to make that the priority and then to come back to these discussions,” he said.

“We’re really confident that we can get something done in the coming weeks and with the start that we’ve got, we’re hoping to get those talks ramped up in a bit more earnest over the next fortnight or so.”

Bains suggested the Bulldogs had been hesitant to hand out long-term deals in recent years, but said he was hopeful the club and Bontempelli would “arrive at a term that is suitable to all”, considering the midfielder’s age, standing in the game, immense talent and leadership responsibilities.

With the AFL slashing the salary cap for clubs last year, the Dogs came to an agreement with their players to find a “happy medium”, according to Bains, and take a list-wide cut. As a result, he said the Dogs were well placed to again be active in this year’s trade period.

But Bains stressed the list management’s main priority in the coming months was to lock away some of the club’s top current talent, such as Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Ed Richards and Laitham Vandermeer.

“Even if your salary cap is pretty tight, clubs are always looking with an eye to the future in terms of how they might juggle that. It might mean that they move players out and do what they need to do. So I think it’s just the default approach for most clubs,” Bains said.

“We still do have a bit of room to manoeuvre … It’s been really strong salary cap management. We’ve also had a pretty young list for the last three or four years, so that’s allowed us to ‘future proof’ to an extent in terms of how that salary cap has been managed.

“Things are in a good position to be able to do that, but we’ve got a lot of our own players that we need to recontract and keep. Certainly that’s going to be the priority over the next few months.”

7. Thanks bornadog, jeemak, The Doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been in terrific form as well especially now he isn't rucking. The clubs will come calling but we should hold our position again.
    Required player and it will taken a special offer before we would consider parting with him.

The message for other clubs is simple, develop you own or take advantage of Collingwood or GWS.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t want to trade him. But...

If Essendon had pick 5 & 6 (Merrett compo) and they offered it for Dunkley and a future 3rd. Then we’ve picks 5, 6 & 18 and a future first rounder, and around $1,000,000 in cap space after signing everyone up. Maybe more picks and cash if players like Cordy or Richards leave. We’d need a Jong, Lipinski or West step up. Buy a McAsey, small forward and hit the top end of the draft. Not a dire outcome for a stupid ‘overs’ offer.

I don’t want to trade him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes ratsmac, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don’t want to trade him. But...

If Essendon had pick 5 & 6 (Merrett compo) and they offered it for Dunkley and a future 3rd. Then we’ve picks 5, 6 & 18 and a future first rounder, and around $1,000,000 in cap space after signing everyone up. Maybe more picks and cash if players like Cordy or Richards leave. We’d need a Jong, Lipinski or West step up. Buy a McAsey, small forward and hit the top end of the draft. Not a dire outcome for a stupid ‘overs’ offer.

I don’t want to trade him.
    No way known they are offering that. They could not sell that to their supporters.

Best case would be something like pick 6 and their 2022 first rounder for Dunkley and our first rounder (hopefully 18) this year. I would say yes to that fwiw.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    No way known they are offering that. They could not sell that to their supporters.

Best case would be something like pick 6 and their 2022 first rounder for Dunkley and our first rounder (hopefully 18) this year. I would say yes to that fwiw.
    I’d pass. Look at it a year later maybe.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d pass. Look at it a year later maybe.
    Restricted Free the year after?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Restricted Free the year after?
    Ala Jeremy Cameron.

I hope he stays. But I trust Power implicitly to get the best club result.

Post Thanks / Like

Bains says we’ve been reluctant to hand out long term deals, but we’ve recently signed non-marquee type players in JJ & Hunter to 5 year deals which were strange decisions at the time. Given this I’d be happy to give our marquee player & captain any length deal he wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

I Wouldn't take less than 2 first rounders for Dunkley. His form has improved to career best, he's still contracted for next year, he offers leadership abilities off the field as well as his on field impact and more than one club will be competing for his services at trade time this year. That's assuming that he'd evven consider an offer from them after the way they led him up the garden park last year and then let him down with an embarrassing offer at the trade table.

If I were Dunks the only plans I'd have for Essendon is pointing to the bulldog emblem on my Bulldogs jumper as I walk off the ground with my Bulldog teammates after we flog them in R21.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested in the approach to these guys in 2021:

Ed Richards: 2021
    Zaine Cordy: 2021
    Mitch Wallis: 2021
    Pat Lipinski: 2021

I suspect that they may end up being makeweight players who get released traded whilst they still have some currency to make way for the 2022 guys who need to be re-signed.

I see these guys as prioirties for 2022:

Jack Macrae: 2022
    Josh Dunkley: 2022
    Caleb Daniel: 2022
    Tim English: 2022
    Rhylee West: 2022
    Bailey Dale: 2022
    Alex Keath: 2022
    Bailey Smith: 2022
    Jamarra Ugle-Hagan: 2022

20. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I Wouldn't take less than 2 first rounders for Dunkley. His form has improved to career best, he's still contracted for next year, he offers leadership abilities off the field as well as his on field impact and more than one club will be competing for his services at trade time this year. That's assuming that he'd evven consider an offer from them after the way they led him up the garden park last year and then let him down with an embarrassing offer at the trade table.

If I were Dunks the only plans I'd have for Essendon is pointing to the bulldog emblem on my Bulldogs jumper as I walk off the ground with my Bulldog teammates after we flog them in R21.
    Yeah it's opportunistic or simplistic for the media to say Essendon will be going after Dunkley again. He's playing better than he ever has and that solidifies our line in the sand on trade value they wouldn't meet. If he continues on this form line he'll be worth what we asked and Essendon being Essendon just won't pay it.

You only have to look at how stupidly they handled the Daniher situation to understand how completely broken their values are.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

22. Likes Twodogs liked this post