Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 14 of 119 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Hayden Croizer has signed until end of 2023.

Amazingly good news.
    Best number 9 since Gilbs

2. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the players coming out of contract at the end of the season I think Crozier was clearly our number 1 priority to re-sign. Should be a fairly stress free year with most of the remaining players unlikely to attract too much opposition interest.

Three more years for Crozier

Reliable defender Hayden Crozier has put pen to paper on a three-year contract extension with the Western Bulldogs.

The 26-year-old has played 39 games in red, white and blue over the past two seasons, since being secured in a trade from Fremantle at the end of 2017.

He will now call the Kennel home until at least the end of 2023.

“To re-sign was one of the easiest decisions I’ve ever made,” Crozier said.

“I absolutely love this Club and to be here until the end of 2023 is awesome.

“I’m really enjoying the challenge in defence, and I pride myself on being able to play tall or small. I’m happy to play wherever ‘Bevo’ wants me to and whatever role he wants me to.

“It’s a nice confidence-builder being able to go out on the ground every week knowing you have the full backing of your coaches and teammates.

“I want to be part of something special and I feel like we’ve got the group that can potentially take us there.”

Crozier featured in all but one AFL match for the Bulldogs last season, averaging more than 16 disposals and six marks per game across half-back.

Renowned for his aerial exploits, the forward-turned-defender has now played 108 AFL matches since making his debut for the Dockers in 2012.

General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said Crozier had been a great acquisition for the Club.

“Hayden has shown continuous improvement and been a really consistent player for us over the past two seasons,” Power said.

“He’s slotted into our defensive group seamlessly and has finished in the top-10 in our best and fairest in both years.

“Hayden’s versatility and dependability are among his strengths. He’s able to play on taller and smaller opponents and shows tremendous courage in the air.

“We feel he will continue to grow and get better over the next three years.”

4. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayden Crozier signs a new deal to stay at Western Bulldogs

They say Hawthorn is the family club, but for newly re-signed Bulldog Hayden Crozier there is no contest which club truly deserves the moniker.

The underrated defender – who has inked a new deal with the Western Bulldogs until the end of 2023 – has both his brother Mason and cousin Nick working at the Whitten Oval in commercial partnerships.

Crozier joked his cousin’s influence was a big reason why he was able to move across to the kennel from Fremantle at the end of 2017.

“The rumour has it Nick was pushing pretty hard for me to come to the club,” Crozier told the Herald Sun.

“He was pretty happy when I got here.

“And my brother has also been working here for a bit over a year now and he really enjoys it.

“The boys were giving him a bit of stick on photo day the other day.

“He came down with his hair looking all nice and sharp, so he blends in well with everyone upstairs and with all the playing group.”

The acquisition of Crozier until the end of 2023 is a big boost for the Bulldogs ahead of the start of the new season.

The 26-year-old’s on-field importance continued to grow in 2019 after playing 22 games and proving himself as a weapon off half-back.

He was the club’s leader for effective disposals last year, finishing the season with an efficiency rating of 82 per cent.

He also ranked second for both marks and rebound-50s.

The former Docker said he was happy to come to terms quickly rather than let his contract issue drag into the season.

“It’s a club that welcomed me from the moment I walked in the door,” he said.

“It’s somewhere where I feel like I’m playing my best footy and I’m loving coming to work every day.

“It was the easiest decision I’ve ever made (to stay).

“I was pretty happy to come to terms quickly and I didn’t want anything sort of hanging over my head too much during the season.”

The Bulldogs’ backline has been bolstered by the off-season recruitment of Alex Keath from Adelaide.

Crozier predicted Keath would make a big imprint at his new home.

“He’s slotted in seamlessly,” he said.

“He’s a great bloke and very professional the way he goes about his business.

“The club obviously targeted him and he really suits our game style as he is a very good intercept defender who can also hold down a one-on-one.

“It helps out our backline as we were playing relatively small last year and it allows guys like Easton Wood to be a little bit further up now.

“We’re building some good continuity together and it’s something that’s obviously going to take time, but I feel like we’ve gotten off to a good start.”

6. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayden's cousin is Nick Truelson, the Chief Commercial Officer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks azabob, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hayden's cousin is Nick Truelson, the Chief Commercial Officer
    I didn’t know that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Can we get Zac Williams' cousin a job?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes azabob, strebla, N/A, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crozier was interviewed on RSN this morning for those interested. Hopefully BAD or Axe can track it down and post the link. I’m not clever enough to do it on my phone.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can we get Zac Williams' cousin a job?
    Or his dad as a recruiter.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Crozier was interviewed on RSN this morning for those interested. Hopefully BAD or Axe can track it down and post the link. I’m not clever enough to do it on my phone.
    Can't find anything from RSN but there is this from SEN:

“WE’VE GOT TO DARE TO DREAM”: BULLDOGS STRIVING FOR PREMIERSHIP GLORY

Hayden Crozier says there’s no reason why the Western Bulldogs can’t add a third premiership cup to its trophy cabinet.

Fresh off inking a three-year deal on Thursday, Crozier is daring to dream of September glory in 2020.

When asked by SEN’s The Captain’s Run host Kane Cornes whether the Bulldogs can win the flag, Crozier replied: “I don’t see why not.

“We obviously just want to take it one week at a time, but we’ve got to dare to dream.

“We built some good momentum towards the backend of last year and we understand that we need to start the year off well and go week by week.

“I think we’ve got the pieces to contend over the next few years.”

The Dogs were soundly beaten by GWS in last year’s elimination final after entering the finals as one of the form teams of the competition.

Saturday's match against Port Adelaide rounds out their Marsh Series campaign before they take on Collingwood in a Round 1 blockbuster on March 20.

Audio Link

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In years gone we were so bad at this I am so happy to see us wrap up key signings early rather than waiting. This type of professional approach could have kept Cal Ward at the club glad we are learning from previous mistakes.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    In years gone we were so bad at this I am so happy to see us wrap up key signings early rather than waiting. This type of professional approach could have kept Cal Ward at the club glad we are learning from previous mistakes.
    Yes Sam Power has done a great job for us. Full credit to him and the club.

19. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The early re-signing of our most important players is looking even smarter now.

Contract talks stop: Big names in limbo as COVID causes cash crisis

Clubs use the summer months and pre-season period to start negotiations with player agents, hoping to lock in some of their most important personnel.

But those plans have gone awry with the AFL suspending its season due to the COVID-19 threat, with the majority of list management and recruiting teams stood down across the competition.

Player managers and clubs have also been told that any contracts lodged in the foreseeable future will not be approved by the League as it comes to grips with the massive economic hit the AFL will take as a result of the pandemic and what it will mean for player salaries and club lists.

Discussions for a new contract for Wood, who handed over the Dogs' captaincy to Marcus Bontempelli ahead of 2020, were also underway but have been halted.

Post Thanks / Like

Mega-deal coming? Dogs start talks on new contract for superstar

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains says the club is keen to re-sign skipper Marcus Bontempelli ahead of next year

THE WESTERN Bulldogs aim to lock in captain Marcus Bontempelli to a new deal before he reaches free agency next year after beginning contract discussions earlier this season.

The Dogs superstar's deal ties him to the Bulldogs until the end of 2021, when he will be a restricted free agent, but the club is working on an extension.

Bontempelli signed a two-year contract extension in November, 2018, a year before that contract was due to end and Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said the club would aim for the same timeline for his next deal after the AFL's contract freeze was ended.

"Yeah definitely. With the prohibition on concluding contracts only being lifted recently, I think contracts like Marcus' come back on the table," Bains told AFL.com.au's Footy Feed podcast.

"I know (Bulldogs list manager) Sam Power and Tom Petroro, who manages Marcus, had some preliminary discussions earlier in the year.

"We'd be keen to do that. Clearly Marcus as our new captain in 2020 is really deeply committed to the club as well, so I think that will happen over the coming months and will be terrific for our club as well."

Bontempelli could be due for a mega-deal, with star players often securing long and lucrative extensions before they reach free agency for the first time.

The 24-year-old took over the Bulldogs' captaincy at the end of last year and is a three-time best and fairest winner and two-time Virgin Australia AFL All-Australian.

His contract talks will be a priority for the Dogs this year who, under list boss Power, have locked away most of their young talent beyond 2020.

Premiership skipper Easton Wood, who handed the captaincy on to Bontempelli, falls out of contract at the end of this season and had opened talks prior to the COVID-19 enforced contract shutdown in March.

The AFL last month lifted the contract freeze after the players union agreed to their compressed fixture block.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see what sort of contract we offer the Bont.
    I hope for Marcus and our sake the hip doesn't become an issue. I think we should give him 7 years so he is lock away.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Pay the man.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -