Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 31 of 121 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Exactly. Has only played 52 games and has shown he can be an absolute jet. Getting rid of him would be a terrible decision.
    Of Course it would.

Why decimate the one big strength we have over the rest of the competition by depleting our midfield? When we had our full set of midfielders on the park we looked near impossible to beat.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Of Course it would.

Why decimate the one big strength we have over the rest of the competition by depleting our midfield? When we had our full set of midfielders on the park we looked near impossible to beat.
    That had nothing to do with Baz. He's been woeful at times this year (compared to his first year standards and his round 1 game) and really needs to dig himself out of the rut he is in.

And I don't really want to get rid of him, but we have a huge gaping hole at CHB that needs filling so just spit balling options that might help us fill it. Shuffling the deck chairs amongst Cordy, Gardner and Young won't cut it.

Baz is definitely not an untouchable, in my opinion.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Mans is 20 and has shown maybe more than any other mid we've had at the same age (one obvious exception). What are we doing here.
    Yep.

Not untouchable but definitely not on offer unless someone has an irresistible deal.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Of Course it would.

Bar rd 1 when he played an influential role on the wing he’s been lost in that role and only started to have a bit more of an impact when his midfield minutes increased due to injuries to other preferred centre square players.

I’m certainly open to offers if the player we receive is in an area of the ground we lack be it in the ruck or key defensive posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It'd be nice to get some early work done on next years group.

Jason Johannisen: 2022
    Jack Macrae: 2022
    Toby McLean: 2022
    Josh Dunkley: 2022
    Caleb Daniel: 2022
    Tim English: 2022

Rhylee West: 2022
    Bailey Dale: 2022
    Alex Keath: 2022

Josh Schache: 2022
    Bailey Smith: 2022
    Easton Wood: 2022
    Mitch Hannan: 2022
    Jamarra Ugle-Hagan: 2022
    Dominic Bedendo: 2022
    Surplus to our needs JJ, Wood and Schache are all trade bait or delist. This will feed up so much cash that we could lure anybody.

What about the hipe we would create if we got Alex Rance out of retirement
    Last edited by Bumper Bulldogs; 09-06-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Surplus to our needs JJ, Wood and Schache are all trade bait or delist. This will feed up so much cash that we could lure anybody.

What about the hipe we would create if we got stance out of retirement
    Wood signed a 2 year contract. We can't delist him unless we're desperate and why trade a player like that who is now probably not on a lot of cash and both provides leadership and plays a selfless role in the team?

JJ I'd be open to trading if his contract demands are too high. Even just renew his contract should free up a good amount of money now.

Schache is struggling to get a spot on any list at this rate but I doubt he takes up any real cash right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood’s been really good when he’s played this year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t realise Wood signed a two year deal. I ok with this as is been captain and we lack depth down back. I just can’t see his body hanging on much longer. Also if we got a gun CHB would he get a game ahead of the likes of Gardner, Keith,Williams, Dale, Daniel, Krozier.

Who would want Sam Powers job. It’s firming up to be the hardest job in the AFL
    BB.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn’t realise Wood signed a two year deal. I ok with this as is been captain and we lack depth down back. I just can’t see his body hanging on much longer. Also if we got a gun CHB would he get a game ahead of the likes of Gardner, Keith,Williams, Dale, Daniel, Krozier.

Who would want Sam Powers job. It’s firming up to be the hardest job in the AFL
    I’d be happy enough.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d be happy enough.
    Does anybody know how Sam learnt his craft. He isn’t a household name, wasn’t a star in the AFL. But he seems to be kicking goals a d no many misses at the moment

Is it the right pick or the right environment
    BB.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know how Sam learnt his craft. He isn’t a household name, wasn’t a star in the AFL. But he seems to be kicking goals a d no many misses at the moment

Been around pro footy as a player at 2 clubs, is a qualified lawyer who practiced with big firm Clayton Utz and had his hand in different off field roles at Carlton including integrity officer, company secretary and scouting.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Law degree. Top tier international law firm, about 1/500+ applicants get into a job like this. He moved into footy undertaking several roles at Carlton before we snapped him up.

Same with Ameet Bains. Lawyer who held several roles at St Kilda. Then our CEO.

I think the highly competent legal side is well suited to the role. From balancing TPP budgets, entering into contracts, restructuring contracts, advanced stakeholder management, advanced high pressure negotiation with player agents and other clubs, working out how to exploit the rules for maximum advantage, making highly technical submissions to the AFEL as required. Add in footy industry experience as a player and then with Carlton in various roles, and he had the goods to get a great job. And is showing month after month how good he is at his job.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now we are into the 2nd half of this terrific season so far there are still quite a few players playing for their careers while some have really emerged as important players this year. In addition we have some big list management decisions in 2022 to make. From the OP here are the remaining Out of Contract players for this year

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tom Liberatore: 2021
    Ed Richards: 2021
    Zaine Cordy: 2021
    Mitch Wallis: 2021
    Pat Lipinski: 2021
    Lewis Young: 2021
    Cody Weightman: 2021
    Louis Butler: 2021
    Riley Garcia: 2021
    Lin Jong: 2021
    Jordan Sweet: 2021 (Rookie)
    Ryan Gardner: 2021 (Rookie)
    Stefan Martin:2021
    Taylor Duryea: 2021
    Buku Khamis: 2021 (Rookie)
    Will Hayes: 2021 (Rookie)
    Ben Cavarra: 2021 (Rookie)
    Lachlan McNeil: 2021 (Rookie)
    Roarke Smith: 2021 (Rookie)
    Anthony Scott: 2021
    I doubt anyone on the list gets a long term contract as in 4 years plus. Most will probably get 1 or 2 years. While from this group we will have to clear a few to make way for this year's draft intake unless of course we trade out any contracted players. Some thoughts

Libba - give him his 2 years already and an incentive for a 3rd. Word is we are all close to an agreement. Priority Signing

Ed Richards - It has been mentioned in the media some rival clubs are circling. Lions & Roos have been mentioned. I'd like to keep him as I think his best is yet to come and I think a wing spot is still up for grabs which I believe would be his best position. I'd give him 2 years for sure if he can break into the senior team. Signing him up before the end of the season would be a great show of faith by the club.

Cody Weightman - the only player on the list I'd consider a 3 year contract for. Priority Signing

Mitch Wallis - It has been mentioned by Bains a couple of times that we would like to retain our vice captain. On what basis though? He is a RFA. Other clubs might offer more playing opportunity and probably more $$ & length of contract. I'd like to see Wallis stay but could understand if he went elsewhere. We would probably need to offer 2 years anything less would be an insult to our vice capt. Wait til season end and review.

Pat Lipinski - I'd be listening to offers. He has some ability but he is the antithesis of a finals player in my view. Yet he might attract some mid range draft value.

Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner & Lewis Young - Gardiner has moved to the leader of this pack so it seems. Cordy & Young have had to battle it out. I can't see all 3 on the list next year. It is likely we will draft 203cm Sam Darcy who has played in defence for Oakleigh. It is well known we have been trying to bring in a key defender for some time. If successful then 1 or possibly even 2 of these could be let go. It's probably a wait and see til the end of the year and see who really grabs their opportunity. The winner should get 2 years.

Lin Jong - Its so disappointing that Jongy has had to battle injuries so often when given his senior chance. Unfortunately I don't think he gets another senior contract. Possibly a rookie listing option or a role at Footscray might be better suited for him. It would be great to see him stay at the club in some way.

Riley Garcia - it has been mentioned in the media we are keen to sign him up. Good. Think he has a bright future if injury doesn't ruin it. Perhaps a 1 year deal with a trigger for 2?

Louis Butler - Needs a big second half of the season despite playing quite well in the VFL. Wait and see how that goes. Competition for spots in his position is so hot.

Taylor Duryea - Playing well and deserves another year. At his age he probably goes year to year from here.

Stefan Martin - Close to recruit of the year before injury struck. Injury is the issue with Martin. He definitely gets another year if he can get on the park. Apparently has a trigger for a 2nd year. Fingers crossed!

Anthony Scott - If he continues the same way for the remainder of the season I can see him getting a 2 year deal. Playing his role in the team. Roarke Smith probably fits into this category as well.

Jordan Sweet & Buku Khamis, Lachie McNeil - Rookie listed players who have earned a call up and have performed reasonably well. I'd like to see them kept on for at least another year.

Ben Cavarra & Will Hayes - rookie listed players who are now in their mid 20's and haven't really performed well enough at the senior level despite showing glimpses. They need more than glimpses to earn another contract. Both need a big second half of the year to earn an extension.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 09-06-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fix Gardner spelling
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

16. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, KT31, ratsmac, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Max469, Doc26, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gardner
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McNeil is a better player than Scott fight me.