Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As a RFA, our best return would have been a 2nd or 3rd rounder. At 25yo I'd rather keep him.
    Happy to keep no doubt but why offer him 4 years? He's been with us since being drafted in 2015 and is he really fulfilling his potential?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Happy to keep no doubt but why offer him 4 years? He's been with us since being drafted in 2015 and is he really fulfilling his potential?
    Most likely to match or come close to a rival offer. Or perhaps he wanted 4 years on less money rather than 3 years on more which may suit our salary cap structure? I would assume we weighed up the contract required to keep him against the likely compo and decided we would rather retain Truck's services over probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's certainly stagnated the last 2 seasons (another who has not recovered from those famous 5 minutes of the 2021 gf). In my opinion he's one of our many mid tier players not fulfilling their potential but I think he's got plenty of ability and his stagnation is possibly a by-product of our overall demise since 2021. A new direction could do him wonders.

I do think 4yrs is a bit much but I think longer deals are going to become the norm in the next cba.

Post Thanks / Like

He's certainly stagnated the last 2 seasons (another who has not recovered from those famous 5 minutes of the 2021 gf). In my opinion he's one of our many mid tier players not fulfilling their potential but I think he's got plenty of ability and his stagnation is possibly a by-product of our overall demise since 2021. A new direction could do him wonders.

I do think 4yrs is a bit much but I think longer deals are going to become the norm in the next cba.
    He seems to lack motivation. Apart from a couple of windows he's not hit any great heights for me and I find him a very frustrating player.
    No idea why contracts are secret, however most likely as Axe says the 4 was a negotiated lever v more coin.

I'm a little confused about this deal, 2 years would be ok by me. Needs a little disruption.

Things nobody has ever said...

Oh no Bailey Williams isnt playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the guys and think he can be very handy on his day. 4 years does seems excessive though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Most likely to match or come close to a rival offer. I would assume we weighed up the contract required to keep him against the likely compo and decided we would rather retain Truck's services over probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
    Thanks, I'd think you're probably right on the mark with this.
    I know he hadn't had any genuine interest a couple of months back so something might have changed.

What has ever occurred to get this long term off has worked brilliantly well for him but I wonder what we can do to keep him incentivised to perform.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I actually like the guys and think he can be very handy on his day. 4 years does seems excessive though.
    If we signed him for 2 years I'd be as happy as but he hasn't earned a 4 year deal on performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He seems to lack motivation. Apart from a couple of windows he's not hit any great heights for me and I find him a very frustrating player.
    No idea why contracts are secret, however most likely as Axe says the 4 was a negotiated lever v more coin.

I'm a little confused about this deal, 2 years would be ok by me. Needs a little disruption.

Things nobody has ever said...

Oh no Bailey Williams isnt playing.
    I think if we were happy to lose him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (most likely the latter) then we could have held firm at 2 or 3yrs. We haven't had many hits in that end of the draft lately so I'd rather back a 25yo known quantity.

I think we'd miss him more than we realise given our lack of depth. Part of Bailey's issue is he hasnt nailed down a role. Like some others such as Daniel they might need to settle in a position to start excelling.

Post Thanks / Like

If we signed him for 2 years I'd be as happy as but he hasn't earned a 4 year deal on performance.
    There's a lot of players getting looong deals in the league lately. I think it's becoming the norm.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see truck locked away - hopefully we can settle him into a role instead of flipping from wing to HBF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of players getting looong deals in the league lately. I think it's becoming the norm.
    At some stage we will likely hear that list spots are tight and offering longer than deserved contracts is one of the reasons why.

Post Thanks / Like

At some stage we will likely hear that list spots are tight and offering longer than deserved contracts is one of the reasons why.
    100%. But on the flip side we can't try go against the market and risk losing lots of players. The club needs to decide who is and isn't worth keeping. Bailey for mine is probably on the fringe but id lean towards wanting to keep. There's a huge glut of players behind him who need to be sent to the scrap heap first imo and should have been sent there long ago.

It's really interesting to see how polariaing this signing has been btw. I think it shows how inconsistent and frustrating our performances have been.

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if we were happy to lose him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder (most likely the latter) then we could have held firm at 2 or 3yrs. We haven't had many hits in that end of the draft lately so I'd rather back a 25yo known quantity.

I think we'd miss him more than we realise given our lack of depth. Part of Bailey's issue is he hasnt nailed down a role. Like some others such as Daniel they might need to settle in a position to start excelling.
    I'm the opposite. It's time to send a message to the group.
    I mean what was said at his exit interview... Keep doing what you're doing? Here's 4 years.

Hard calls need to be made and he's a guy I would've taken a hit on. If we get a second rounder from the Crows then jackpot, all the other players know the deal.

Having worked kind of in the government for 25 years (we are an agency), playing for Bevo feels like a government job. Most cushy AFL gig on earth.

Tell us another story Luke before bedtime.

Ha.. Sorry I'm being seriously tongue in cheek however this has ground my gearage!

What's his best B and F finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm the opposite. It's time to send a message to the group.
    I mean what was said at his exit interview... Keep doing what you're doing? Here's 4 years.

Hard calls need to be made and he's a guy I would've taken a hit on. If we get a second rounder from the Crows then jackpot, all the other players know the deal.

Having worked kind of in the government for 25 years (we are an agency), playing for Bevo feels like a government job. Most cushy AFL gig on earth.

Tell us another story Luke before bedtime.

Ha.. Sorry I'm being seriously tongue in cheek however this has ground my gearage!

What's his best B and F finish?
    Lets not get too crazy. I'd settle for dropping a "name player" when the team isn't performing.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Lets not get too crazy. I'd settle for dropping a "name player" when the team isn't performing.
    Bailey was dropped to sub. I think that was a strong message.